General Category > Firearms Related

good first gun

(1/4) > >>

noobgunner:
hello
What is good first gun?  I haven't really had guns before but I have been shooting a few times and have had a gun safety class.  I think I want a handgun intead of a rifle in case I decide to get CCDW license.  I don't have a lot of money so what is a good choice for me?  Please point me in the right direction.  what are good questions to ask at gun store and what should I look for?
Thanks!

Sauer:
There is no one size fits all. It all depends on your use, your experience, size of your hands...blah blah blah. A smaller pistol is better for CCW, a larger pistol helps a bit with recoil. On the other side, A GSG 1911 in .22 long is awesomely cheap fun! Caliber is another factor to consider. Some swear by the stopping power of 45, some (like me) prefer the smaller, cheaper and much more available 9mm...that is up until shit went crazy a few months ago.
For about $500 you can pick up a quality semi-auto pistol chambered in 9, 40 or 45 from all of the big players. Sig Sauer, Kimber, Wilson will be substantially more expensive but worth the price when you get the money.
Most of the major players offer a pocket size .380 for roughly $350.
Things to research: striker fire, SA/DA vs DAO, polymer vs metal frame, price of ammo (ammo is hard to find these days but you can still see the prices on empty shelves at Walmart).
Do you want a rail for lights/lasers? Guide rod laser? Crimson trace laser? Changeable grips like those offered by Houge? Adjustable/changeable sights.

No one can answer what is the best for you, you have to do the research and balance that against your needs.

In semi auto pistols, I own a full size M&P in 9MM and a CZ P-01 in 9mm and a Sig P239 in 9mm. I wouldn't sell or trade any of them any day and I carry the Sig everyday.

masfonos:

--- Quote from: Sauer on February 26, 2013, 09:49:34 PM ---There is no one size fits all. It all depends on your use, your experience, size of your hands...blah blah blah.

--- End quote ---

Pretty much this.  If you go to a gun store or gun show, handle a few of them and see which ones feel good in your hand (not just holding it, but working all of the controls too like magazine release, slide release, safeties, trigger/trigger pull, manipulating the slide, etc).  Also make sure that you can quickly acquire the sights - they should be easy to find and easy to see in a variety of lighting conditions. Sights are something that can usually be corrected with aftermarket parts if need be, most of the other stuff needs to be good from the outset.

If your shop has a range and rentals, maybe you could try some of them out or if you have any friends with guns they might be willing to hit the range with a few different pistols.  As long as you get one that is from a decent manufacturer and it feels good in your hands, you should be OK

noobgunner:
Thanks for the suggestions i am probably going to get a 9MM or 380 since it wont have as much recoil and it will be cheaper to shoot.  I will definately try them out to see which feels the best when I go to the store.  What is a 'decent manufacturer' and what are ones that I should avoid?  I am on a budget so I probably wont get those expensive ones you talked about!  I don't think I need a rail for lights or lasers or things like that.  I should be starting a good job soon and I hope to be able to afford to buy more.  I would like to eventually be good enough to shoot in competitions but I think that is a ways down the road both because of my skill and because competition guns would probably be too much money.

stuffbymichele:
Don't make the mistake I made! I bought something because the gun I REALLY wanted couldn't be had and I don't like it. I'm going to try a new grip and hope that solves my issue.

I've been looking for a while though. I have a Ruger GP100 but it's way too big for carry.

I totally agree with renting and trying friend's guns. I tried a Sig P232 recently and really liked it. I'm going to rent one to make sure before spending any more money though!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version