!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Chief Supply Corp. 120x60 logo

Author Topic: Black powder hunters?  (Read 768 times)

Offline SharpsShooter

Black powder hunters?
« on: July 16, 2011, 09:28:33 PM »
Are there any black powder hunters here?  I hunt with BP rifles sometimes and enjoy the challenge and simpleness of it.  No, I don't wear buckskins when I do so either ;D

GunLink Discussion Forums

Black powder hunters?
« on: July 16, 2011, 09:28:33 PM »

Offline masfonos

Re: Black powder hunters?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 11:17:58 AM »
I sometimes do "modern" black powder hunting for whitetail.  I've got a .50 caliber in-line muzzle loader.  I use 777 pellets, power-band bullets and 209 primers for ignition.

It's still "simple" but probably in a different way than what you might get with an old flintlock or something like that.  It's a lot of fun and, like you said, a bit of a challenge (more so than with a shotgun or rifle, less so than archery).  You have to be 100% sure of your shot because there is no opportunity for a follow up shot.  Well...usually.  I've dropped a deer with it before and it's friend that it was having lunch with hung out for a while longer.