!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Chief Supply Tactical Apparel and Gear for Law, Fire, EMS, Military and Outdoors @chief 120x60 logo

Author Topic: TacPack - Tactical Subscription Box  (Read 324 times)

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
TacPack - Tactical Subscription Box
« on: July 25, 2017, 09:47:56 PM »
If you are on any kind of social media (like following GunLink on Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram), you've probably seen the rise in popularity of subscription boxes over the past several years.  I'm a gun guy, so I see (or at least notice) gun-related subscription boxes, but the rest of the GunLink staff who doesn't live under a rock tells me that they are available for any sort of niche these days.  But who cares about those? 

If you aren't familiar with the concept, you sign up for a subscription and each month you get a grab bag (or box) of stuff in the mail.  I guess it's sort of like the ads in the back of gun magazines that try to use all the money we spend on guns to guilt guys into buying their sweetheart a monthly subscription to some novelty.  But, instead of "Gee, great... another bottle of crappy wine" or "Oh, look... more Indonesian sweatshop pajamas" it's "Hey, cool... a box of gun stuff!"

The first one we noticed (probably on Instagram) was TacPack.  Recently we connected with TacPack via Twitter and they offered to send us over this month's box to see what it was all about. 

The box arrived the other day and we thought it was pretty cool, so I think we're going to subscribe for a while and share how it goes.

If you subscribe (or not) and want to share what you think about the service or the box contents, or if you have any questions, feel free to post them in this thread.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 09:50:35 PM by GunLink »

GunLink Discussion Forums

TacPack - Tactical Subscription Box
« on: July 25, 2017, 09:47:56 PM »
Chief Supply Tactical Apparel and Gear for Law, Fire, EMS, Military and Outdoors @chief

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
June 2017 TacPack - Tactical Subscription Box
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 10:59:29 PM »
So, the first TacPack that we received was the June 2017 box.  Boxes ship out right around mid-month and you have to be current on your subscription by the end of the previous month to get it (so you would have had to been signed up by June 30 for this box).  Contents of previous boxes (and the ability to buy them at a higher price than the subscription cost) are listed on the TacPack website.

The June TacPack contains a Burnproof Gear Rail Rap (valued at 75.00), a Nineline insulated tumbler (valued at 24.00), Armaspec Anti-Walk Pins (valued at 15.00), and an ABKT Tactical Phantom Spector Knife (valued at 36.00).  Longer descriptions of the items from the TacPack website are posted on the GunLink Blog entry for this box.

Since this is our first TacPack, we'll give some overall first impressions from opening up the box.  I don't know if I was expecting a few ammo cans and a crate of rifles to be in it or what, but the box was smaller than I expected - about the size of a women's shoe box or a third the size of my boot boxes.  It came via USPS an a well marked TacPack box, so do whatever you want with that information if you have sketchy neighbors.  It was packed well and nothing was damated (or even seemed to have shifted around). 

Using the values shown on the included card, the box is worth $150 - not bad for the $50 a month subscription fee.

Most of the value of this box comes from the Burnproof Gear Rail Rap.  I've heard of this company before from their suppressor covers but hadn't every really looked too hard at them since we don't tend to keep covers on our cans.  The rail wrap is pretty much what it sounds like - it covers your rail to keep you from burning your hands when you heat up your rail. 

I probably wouldn't have ever looked at this product on my own to buy it because it simply wouldn't have really occurred to me.  We frequently shoot our rifles enough to get pretty hot, but the usual remedy is to either pretend like it doesn't hurt or complain relentlessly - depending on mood.  The wrap solves the issue and looks pretty cool doing it.  The real win here is probably one we ran into last weekend shooting with one of our friends - that black guns get HOT when left to sit in the hot sun for even just a few minutes.  This solves that problem as well, along with the issue of not buggering up our fresh rails when we haphazardly pile guns into the safe.

I probably wouldn't have ever purchased this on my own, so TacPack introduced me to first hand experience with a new product from a new-to-me company.  Mission accomplished.

Next in the box was the Tanker cup from Nineline.  Honestly, we need another stainless steel insulated tumbler like we need a hole in the head, but they work great and we'll get plenty of use out of it.  Plus, based on some conversations we've had recently, it turns out that there are still people out there who don't have, or even know about the existence of, these cups.  They keep my coffee stupid-hot for long parts of road trips and hold ice in my tea for all-day refills.  Best part here:  The lid seals (unlike some other tumblers) so that when you backhand it off the side of your desk or mess up the order of "put cup in car" and "drive off in car," you still have your beverage intact.

The lid gasket was a little fouled up out of the box from sitting compressed for so long, but it seems to have gotten its shape back now that it has been in and out a few times.

The Armaspec Anti-Walk pins were the lowest valued items in the box but probably the ones that I was the most excited for; mainly because it is the product from the box that I would have been most likely to purchase on my own.  It isn't like I have a burning need for anti-walk pins, but I've been kicking around the idea of putting a set into one or two of our rifles that see harder use, more rapid fire, and have various trigger groups in them. 

The ABKT Tactical Phantom Spector knife was another one of those hole-in-the-head type items in this box.  I have drawers full of knives.  I'm actually not even supposed to buy any more knives because, apparently, I "have too many."   ::)  Whatever.  So this was a nice end-run around that little household rule. 

The Phantom Spector came out of the box plenty sharp to shave some hair (and skin). 

It's another Chinese knife, but they aren't doing too awfully bad with their steels these days.  The 8CR13MOV blade is supposed to perform pretty similarly to AUS8 in that it should sharpen easily to a good edge, keep that edge for a while, and be fairly corrosion resistant.  The ABKT website says it has anodized handles, but the scales feel like plastic to me. 

It is a fairly hefty knife for what it is, close to 9" with the tanto blade open, and a bit of weight to it. 

It opens fast - about as fast as a lot of my assisted opening knives even though it isn't spring assisted.  The blade apparently opens on ball bearings and flips out fast after you overcome the detent.  It should make a good beater knife that one wouldn't be worried about using too hard or shed too many tears over if you lost it.  I wonder how well the bearings will hold up after getting wet, soaked with kerosene, dropped in the dirt, and suffering various other fates that working knives endure. 

July TacPack Overall

We thought it was a pretty cool box with some neat stuff in it - stuff that we will get real use out of and that we might not have otherwise pulled the trigger on buying on our own.  We'll stick with a subscription for a while and see how it pans out.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 11:31:52 PM by GunLink »

120x60 logo Chief Supply Tactical Apparel and Gear for Law, Fire, EMS, Military and Outdoors @chief