!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: What is Nike Thinking?  (Read 2055 times)

Offline ThatGuy762x51

What is Nike Thinking?
« on: September 06, 2018, 06:08:25 PM »
They are going whole hog with this kaepernick thing. The guy's a bum who was riding the pine, was falling out of the spot light, decided to make a spectacle out of himself and when he got called out he made like he was "standing up" for something by not standing.

What did he sacrifice, exactly?

I didn't watch NFL last year and this year won't be any different. It's not like I buy a lot of Nike stuff, but I damn sure won't be buying any more now.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 06:10:13 PM by ThatGuy762x51 »

GunLink Discussion Forums

What is Nike Thinking?
« on: September 06, 2018, 06:08:25 PM »

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• GunLink Member
Re: What is Nike Thinking?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 11:15:28 AM »
We started cutting back on the NFL before this political circus started. A lot of the rule changes were getting out of hand and making the game not football anymore.  We completely stopped after this became the focus in the news every week. 

I agree with you about what’s his name.  He wasn’t really that good in my opinion and he couldn’t make the cut anymore.  I love how it came out recently that he received an offer from Denver before he said no one wanted him. He likes the attention. 

I already don’t buy Nike products to begin with. The shoes in my price range aren’t usually in designs I like and I don’t think they last as long as other brands. I had a pair of adidas shoes, the white ones with the three colored stripes....lasted 10 years before I finally destroyed them. I’m lucky to get other brands to last a year. So, I’ll keep buying what’s on sale at Costco or adidas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Rimfire86

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 08:41:36 PM »
I personally do not know anyone who spends $100 on sneakers 3 or 4 times a year - my associates all stand around and brag how long they get a pair of Red Wings boots to last - mine are currently over 10 years old and still the best footwear I ever purchased.

Nike's marketing push is in cosmopolitan metropolitan areas.  There ideal customer is the person who would rather go to brunch at some 5 star restaurant, read the New York Times over a cup of Starbucks triple mocha latte, then "go for a run" on a Sunday rather than sit around watching football. 

Nike does not care what people like me and my buddies think about their company because we are not their customers.  Nike's stock drop is nothing - it merely puts them back by a couple of days (checkout the YTD of Nike's Stock - the "boycott" has done nothing - NYSE: NKE)

It was the same way with Yeti coolers dropping their discount program for the NRA members - Yeti makes more money selling $200 lunch coolers to Upscale suburban Mom's to send their kids off to school with than they do selling coolers to real sportsmen anymore.

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• GunLink Member
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 08:54:33 PM »
Fox News had Jim Gray on earlier today. He laughed and said Nike’s customer base is mostly other athletes. Not Average joe who goes to the gym for exercise. Presumably they did their market research and decided this was the path they wanted to go in for a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline masfonos

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 06:07:27 PM »
The first I saw of this whole thing was a pic cropped just like the on in the OP without any NIKE markings or anything that came up in my facebook feed from a pretty left leaning person on my list with stupid little heart kissy faces as the comment on it.  I didn't recognize the face so I tried doing a reverse image search but didn't get any hits I guess because it was still too early on. Honestly, i thought it was one of the Tsarnaev brothers from the Boston Marathon bombing and was wondering why TF this person on my facebook would be making goo goo eyes at them.

I saw a FNC panel with somebody, can't remember who, but they were talking about Nike's target audience and how it's not somebody that would get upset about his "protest" over police brutality. They said they aren't trying to sell socks and low end shoes to the regular joes at the gym or regular athletes but they're trying to sell sneakers to the people who participating in the riots in Fergadishu, Baltimore, etc. at $200-300 a pop who will turn around and sell them for $500+.

It wasn't this one, but this is the only panel I can find on it. I had a hard time keeping up with it because I was watching it on a TV with no audio and listening to the audio on XM delayed by about 60 seconds.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOA3RHuEBvo[/youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOA3RHuEBvo