Reviews > Gear Review

Light My Fire Spork - Spoon, Fork, Knife combo

(1/1)

masfonos:

Light My Fire Spork - Spoon, Fork, Knife combo

My girl and I got a couple of these Sporks from Walmart when we were doing some traveling that involved sleeping in a tent and/or truck for a few days and preparing our meals away from what most would consider civilization.  A guy I used to work with kept one in his bench at work to eat his lunch with and really seemed to like it so I figured we'd give it a shot.

First of all, the sporks come in a plethora of colors which makes it great for telling whose spork is whose.  I certainly wouldn't want to eat with a spork covered in crusty lint from the bottom of anyone's bug-out-bag or camping pack other than my own!  I, of course, opted for the manly blue spork while my better half got the pink one. 

The sporks held up fairly well on that first outing with them.  The description from Light My Fire (see below) says that the sporks are heat resistant and that they won't melt in boiling water.  The same property, however, does not hold true for flipping bacon on a hot griddle over a Coleman stove.  Her pretty pink spork's tines were rendered pretty much useless.  Don't worry, my manly blue spork is fine.

Walmart has since stopped carrying the Light My Fire sporks in favor of a cheaper, Chinese made spork so we ended up buying another four pack of LMF sporks from Cabela's or Bass Pro Shops or some other such place.  I keep one in my backpack at all times, I think she keeps one with her, we have a couple in the silverware drawer and some in our GTFO bag (the LMF sporks are much more usable than the goofy shaped, oversized brown spoons that come with MREs). 

The one I keep in my bag gets used pretty often.  It's easy to clean, doesn't absorb odors or flavors from food and it's durable enough you won't have to worry about it getting smashed, beat up, run over or bitten through.  They're BPA free so you shouldn't die from using them, sprout an eleventh finger or anything like that.  I haven't used the titanium version but my buddy who does a good bit of backpacking swears by his.  Presumably it's got all of the above good qualities (except for resistance to smashing maybe).

I give it a thumbs up and recommend it as a handy thing to keep on hand if you EDC some sort of a bag (or don't mind EDC-ing an eating utensil in your pocket).

--- Quote ---Our spoon-fork-knife combo brings a bit of civilization to the wild and a bit of the wild to civilization. Designed especially for Light My Fire by Scandinavian designer Joachim Nordwall. The Spork is perfect for your backpack, boat, picnic basket, lunchbox, purse or briefcase. Available in bulk or in a display package. See POP display units available below.

* Heat resistant material - doesn't melt in hot/boiling water
    * Won't scratch non-stick cookware, Teflon-friendly
    * Machine washable
    * Extremly durable
    * Nineteen colors - NEW Metallic and Transparent Colors available
    * Weight: 8 grams - 17 grams Titanium
    * Compatible with Leave No Trace ethics
    * Free Plexi-Tube available with bulk sporks
    * Available in PC or BPA free Tritan

--- End quote ---

Caper:
Titanium is used jet fighter bodies. How can melt on a griddle? It is really titanium?

masfonos:
Hi, Caper

The ones that we have are the PC (poly-carbonate) versions, not the TI ones.  The PC ones are billed as "heat resistant" not "melt proof."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version