!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: Good knives  (Read 2603 times)

Offline 1slickAR15

Good knives
« on: December 14, 2011, 07:56:00 PM »
i'm looking to get a new edc knife and would like to hear what you all have to say about some of the knives that are out there.  anyone want to do a quick "real world" review of some knives?

GunLink Discussion Forums

Good knives
« on: December 14, 2011, 07:56:00 PM »

Offline masfonos

Re: Good knives
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 10:28:27 AM »
I have a review of a CRKT M16 knife here that I'm pretty happy with.  IMO, the only thing that could really make it better would be if it was made in the US.  I've really put it through its paces and it always does what it's supposed to do.  It's definitely earned its keep, especially for being a $20 knife.

As far as regular pocket knives go, I usually buy only Case.  If I'm not carrying a clip-on, I usually have a Case medium Stockman.  I like clip-ons better because they are easier to get to but some situations just don't really call for walking around with a knife hanging out of the side of your pocket.  I also usually have a bigger Case folder that I take hunting with me.  None of my Case knives have ever let me down.  I got into Case knives because I remember that's what my dad always carried when I was a kid.  He carried a medium Stockman with a bone/stag handle for decades, even after he ended up breaking off one of the three blades.  I imagine he'd still be carrying it if he hadn't lost it.

For clip-ons, other than the CRKT, I also have a Kershaw Ken Onion Scallion.  Now that's a slick, solid knife!  It's got their "speedsafe" opening feature, which I like, but it requires a little sliding lock to keep it from popping open when you don't want it to, which is sort of a hassle if you need to get to the blade quickly, in gloves, etc.  I guess it's not much worse than other knives though.  AFAIK, pretty much all Kershaws are made in the US except for a couple of their cheaper models.

I used to have a Gerber paraframe that I liked too, but after using some other knives, I don't know if I'd want to go back to that one.  The blade and handle shape and some other features just don't do it for me anymore.  I'm not sure if any Gerbers are made in the US any more.

Buck used to make good knives, I'm not sure about now.  I think most of their folders are no longer made in the US and I'm not really in the market to buy any of their bigger knives that are made here.

I've got a couple Leatherman tools.  They're expenseive but they're well worth it.  Sturdy, reliable, made in the US and come with a 25 year warranty.

If you're not looking for an heirloom or you want a knife you won't be upset about losing, I'd look at CRKT.  They have some similar counterparts from S&W (just as Gerber has similar clones under the Winchester name - many of which used to be made by Gerber, I think).  Any of those are probably passable as a decent EDC knife that you can bust up.