!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: TacPack - Tactical Subscription Box  (Read 8951 times)

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
TacPack - Tactical Subscription Box
« on: July 25, 2017, 09:47:56 PM »
If you are on any kind of social media (like following GunLink on Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram), you've probably seen the rise in popularity of subscription boxes over the past several years.  I'm a gun guy, so I see (or at least notice) gun-related subscription boxes, but the rest of the GunLink staff who doesn't live under a rock tells me that they are available for any sort of niche these days.  But who cares about those? 

If you aren't familiar with the concept, you sign up for a subscription and each month you get a grab bag (or box) of stuff in the mail.  I guess it's sort of like the ads in the back of gun magazines that try to use all the money we spend on guns to guilt guys into buying their sweetheart a monthly subscription to some novelty.  But, instead of "Gee, great... another bottle of crappy wine" or "Oh, look... more Indonesian sweatshop pajamas" it's "Hey, cool... a box of gun stuff!"

The first one we noticed (probably on Instagram) was TacPack.  Recently we connected with TacPack via Twitter and they offered to send us over this month's box to see what it was all about. 

The box arrived the other day and we thought it was pretty cool, so I think we're going to subscribe for a while and share how it goes.

If you subscribe (or not) and want to share what you think about the service or the box contents, or if you have any questions, feel free to post them in this thread.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 09:50:35 PM by GunLink »

GunLink Discussion Forums

TacPack - Tactical Subscription Box
« on: July 25, 2017, 09:47:56 PM »

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
June 2017 TacPack - Tactical Subscription Box
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 10:59:29 PM »
So, the first TacPack that we received was the June 2017 box.  Boxes ship out right around mid-month and you have to be current on your subscription by the end of the previous month to get it (so you would have had to been signed up by June 30 for this box).  Contents of previous boxes (and the ability to buy them at a higher price than the subscription cost) are listed on the TacPack website.

The June TacPack contains a Burnproof Gear Rail Rap (valued at 75.00), a Nineline insulated tumbler (valued at 24.00), Armaspec Anti-Walk Pins (valued at 15.00), and an ABKT Tactical Phantom Spector Knife (valued at 36.00).  Longer descriptions of the items from the TacPack website are posted on the GunLink Blog entry for this box.

Since this is our first TacPack, we'll give some overall first impressions from opening up the box.  I don't know if I was expecting a few ammo cans and a crate of rifles to be in it or what, but the box was smaller than I expected - about the size of a women's shoe box or a third the size of my boot boxes.  It came via USPS an a well marked TacPack box, so do whatever you want with that information if you have sketchy neighbors.  It was packed well and nothing was damated (or even seemed to have shifted around). 

Using the values shown on the included card, the box is worth $150 - not bad for the $50 a month subscription fee.

Most of the value of this box comes from the Burnproof Gear Rail Rap.  I've heard of this company before from their suppressor covers but hadn't every really looked too hard at them since we don't tend to keep covers on our cans.  The rail wrap is pretty much what it sounds like - it covers your rail to keep you from burning your hands when you heat up your rail. 

I probably wouldn't have ever looked at this product on my own to buy it because it simply wouldn't have really occurred to me.  We frequently shoot our rifles enough to get pretty hot, but the usual remedy is to either pretend like it doesn't hurt or complain relentlessly - depending on mood.  The wrap solves the issue and looks pretty cool doing it.  The real win here is probably one we ran into last weekend shooting with one of our friends - that black guns get HOT when left to sit in the hot sun for even just a few minutes.  This solves that problem as well, along with the issue of not buggering up our fresh rails when we haphazardly pile guns into the safe.

I probably wouldn't have ever purchased this on my own, so TacPack introduced me to first hand experience with a new product from a new-to-me company.  Mission accomplished.

Next in the box was the Tanker cup from Nineline.  Honestly, we need another stainless steel insulated tumbler like we need a hole in the head, but they work great and we'll get plenty of use out of it.  Plus, based on some conversations we've had recently, it turns out that there are still people out there who don't have, or even know about the existence of, these cups.  They keep my coffee stupid-hot for long parts of road trips and hold ice in my tea for all-day refills.  Best part here:  The lid seals (unlike some other tumblers) so that when you backhand it off the side of your desk or mess up the order of "put cup in car" and "drive off in car," you still have your beverage intact.

The lid gasket was a little fouled up out of the box from sitting compressed for so long, but it seems to have gotten its shape back now that it has been in and out a few times.

The Armaspec Anti-Walk pins were the lowest valued items in the box but probably the ones that I was the most excited for; mainly because it is the product from the box that I would have been most likely to purchase on my own.  It isn't like I have a burning need for anti-walk pins, but I've been kicking around the idea of putting a set into one or two of our rifles that see harder use, more rapid fire, and have various trigger groups in them. 

The ABKT Tactical Phantom Spector knife was another one of those hole-in-the-head type items in this box.  I have drawers full of knives.  I'm actually not even supposed to buy any more knives because, apparently, I "have too many."   ::)  Whatever.  So this was a nice end-run around that little household rule. 

The Phantom Spector came out of the box plenty sharp to shave some hair (and skin). 

It's another Chinese knife, but they aren't doing too awfully bad with their steels these days.  The 8CR13MOV blade is supposed to perform pretty similarly to AUS8 in that it should sharpen easily to a good edge, keep that edge for a while, and be fairly corrosion resistant.  The ABKT website says it has anodized handles, but the scales feel like plastic to me. 

It is a fairly hefty knife for what it is, close to 9" with the tanto blade open, and a bit of weight to it. 

It opens fast - about as fast as a lot of my assisted opening knives even though it isn't spring assisted.  The blade apparently opens on ball bearings and flips out fast after you overcome the detent.  It should make a good beater knife that one wouldn't be worried about using too hard or shed too many tears over if you lost it.  I wonder how well the bearings will hold up after getting wet, soaked with kerosene, dropped in the dirt, and suffering various other fates that working knives endure. 

July TacPack Overall

We thought it was a pretty cool box with some neat stuff in it - stuff that we will get real use out of and that we might not have otherwise pulled the trigger on buying on our own.  We'll stick with a subscription for a while and see how it pans out.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 11:31:52 PM by GunLink »

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
August 2017 TacPack - Tactical Subscription Box
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 06:47:56 PM »
Full review of August TacPack contents.

This month's box was a pretty good haul of Mission First Tactical gear for AR-15 pattern rifles.  Once again, TacPack delivered a box full of stuff that I would be buying anyway.  In fact, we recently bought a lot of similar stuff and it cost well over the $50 that this box did.

We "temporarily" swapped the MFT Minimalist Stock onto the GunLink Defensive Fighting Rifle (GDFR), which was otherwise wearing the Magpul MOE stock that we just picked up from a PSA in July.

The stock that they shipped us was built for a Mil-Spec tube which, as luck would have it, the GDFR happens to have - kind of a crapshoot when it comes to the confusing array of receiver extensions among the GL AR stable.  As such, slipping off the MOE and attaching the MFT was quick and painless.  The 5.8 oz stock shaves nearly 3 oz off the weight of the MOE that we had on it; I'm not sure if it is actually perceptible or if it is just in my head because it looks smaller and lighter... but it feels noticeably lighter. 

The GDFR's Blue Force Gear Vickers Combat Applications Sling also went right on with no issues despite losing a sling slot, since it wasn't the sling slot that we use anyway.  What it loses in the slot, however, it makes up by gaining a QD mount point directly in front of the adjustment lever.

The stock is plenty comfortable with a rubber pad on the end and it feels like a good, clean, lightweight, no BS stock.  The one slight downside of it is that the adjustment lever is small and tucked in against the buffer tube, requiring slightly finer motor skills than what is needed to grab a handful of big, fat, traditional adjustment levers on collapsible stocks.

Next up on the "put it directly on my rifle immediately out of the TacPack box" list is MFT's React Vertical Foregrip

Not only is the React much shorter than the too-long VFG that it replaced, it is significantly lighter.  Between this and the stock, the GDFR is definitely perceptibly lighter.  Further, the round-tube-with-screw-in-plug that it replaced was too narrow and too much of a pain to be useful, so we tend to keep stamps in the K2+ grip.  The new React VFG is not only short enough to not get in the way, it is also more comfortable, elongated to accommodate useful things inside of it, and includes a battery sled to keep batteries organized for the Sparc AR (AAA) and Elzetta Bravo (CR123) that the GDFR wears.

Not that I plan to use the rifle as a club, but the React also feels like it will be more secure on the rail since it mounts using a cross pin that fully engages the Picatinny slot rather than just a boss that screws up from the bottom.  If I remember correctly, the latter is why people were losing fingers in the KSG fiasco.

The piece of kit from the September box that I didn't end up using right away is the Enhanced Trigger Guard.  There is not much to say about it, and there is not any thing wrong with it - it is just that we very recently installed the Magpul version of this piece in July when we put the MOE stock on this rifle.  So, even though we didn't use this item from the box, it is definitely something that we would (and DID) spend money on.

The benefit here is that this type of trigger guard bows out (downward) to make the opening where the trigger is larger.  This allows the shooter to get their finger - particularly fingers wearing gloves - into the opening and onto the trigger faster and more reliably.  Plus it looks cool. 

Of course, almost all ARs without a machined trigger guard have a comparable feature.  PRO-TIP:  in case you hadn't noticed, the back of your trigger guard is pinned in and the front has a detent on a spring... so you can depress the detent plunger and swing the trigger guard out of the way.

Rounding out the September box was a 10-round polymer magazine from MFT.  This is another one that we won't get a tremendous amount of use out of for a couple of reasons.  First is that we do not do a tremendous amount of shooting from a bench rest or prone position wherein a 30-round mag would get in the way.  Second is that, once again... we just bought something similar!

Well, we didn't "just" buy them, but not too awfully long ago, we just picked up a little stack of 10 round Magpul P-Mags

When we do need a 10 rounder, however, I think I will probably reach for this MFT mag, as I find it superior to the P-Mag in a couple of areas. 

The MFT mag has a flared floor plate that makes it much easier to seat and remove if it decides not to drop free (FYI, it drops free just find under normal circumstances so far).  I also like the dual tabs in the floorplate for tool-less takedown, the placement of the paint-pen matrix for marking the magazines.  The anti-tilt follower seems to be every bit as anti-tilt as the any other I have poked at.

So, once again, it appears that TacPack is reading us pretty well and sending out stuff that they know we want, need, and buy.  Around GunLink HQ, if and when we need something, we usually rush out and buy something or order it right away, so we are getting some duplication of gear from the TacPack boxes.  However, I think that Joe RegularGunGuy would be getting a lot of benefit out of a subscription to this box and would get a lot of stuff that he needs or, at a minimum, can get some good use out of even if he didn't know that he needed it!

From the box insert:

The August TacPack… What can we say… We’ve been working on a deal with Mission First Tactical for 9 months and it’s come together to be simply the best box we’ve ever put together. This TacPack is made entirely in the USA! Every day we get multiple subscriber requests and the theme we noticed is that our people want AR15 parts!

Minimalist Stock (60.00) — A stock that we have used personally for over 2 years. The minimalist stock is lightweight, extremely rigid, and easy to deploy that comes in at 6 ounces! An aftermarket stock is a great way to upgrade your AR15 and we wanted this one for our people! We even got a different sized TacPack box so that you could enjoy this thing.

React Vertical Foregrip (27.00) — A super low profile that offers increased stability when moving/shooting where you can increase accuracy and use in tandem with barricade situations. The grip includes a battery sled so that you never have to worry about failed optics or gear. Toss it on your rifle and go to work at the range.

Enhanced Trigger Guard (12.00) — Replace your stock trigger guard with this unit to reveal a larger opening so that gloves are welcomed when you train. This trigger guard is made with a rock-solid polymer that won’t quit. An enhanced trigger guard is something you may not know that you need, but are glad you have once you install it.

10 Round Magazine (15.00) We killed three birds with one stone. We catered to states with mag-round limits while also looking out for you when you are shooting on a bench (or prone) or even a PDW owner. The worst thing that can happen when taking your gun out to distances further than 100-yards is that a regular magazine won’t allow for good ground clearance. Likewise, a small mag is essential for a PDW in certain scenarios where concealment is key.

TacPack Sticker (priceless) — Show it loud and proud! You asked for it. We love that you want to rep your favorite Tactical Sub box.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 05:43:27 PM by GunLink »

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
September 2017 TacPack - Tactical Subscription Box
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 06:48:32 PM »
Placeholder for full review of September 2017 TacPack box contents

Out of the TacPack subscriptions boxes we have received thus far, as well as the previous boxes listed on the TacPack website, the September 2017 box seems to be the personally most disappointing. 

It isn't that any of the stuff is bad, it is just an odd mix of stuff for the general firearms enthusiast.  September sees a pretty decent magazine carrier, some precision shooting accessories, and some... hand cleaner.

First up is the money item from this month's box:  The Tactical Oatmeal BLT OWB pistol magazine carrier.  We have seen Tactical Oatmeal around the internet on various social media platforms, but had not put our hands on any of their "unconventional Kydex solutions."

I have a handful of pistol magazine carriers, from OEM carriers to locally-made custom Kydex jobs to the Sticky Holsters mag pouch.  The Sticky Mag Pouch is my usual go-to for EDC carry of a backup magazine, mainly for ease of use (putting it on and taking it off) and because it sits low and is comfortable and discreet.  It doesn't have much retention at all, so the magazine can slide out when I throw my jeans on the bed at the end of the day or when I do somersaults and handstands.  The factory and custom Kydex mag carriers that I have all do a fine job of keeping the mag securely in place and being mostly comfortable and discreet, but they all have solid loops that my CCW belt has to be threaded through - these are usually relegated to winter wear or for shooting courses.

The Tactical Oatmeal BLT combines the best of both worlds - it has an adjustable retention screw that not only helps it keep your magazine in place, but also allows it to accommodate just about any double-stack pistol magazine.  The belt-clip is a sturdy polymer piece, open on the bottom for easy on/off, and with plenty of tooth to grab the bottom of your belt so it stays in place.  Although the feature is not of much use to anyone around GunLink HQ, it is ambidextrous in that the clip can be swapped from one side to the other.

The BLT gets two dings against it.  The first is that it rides much higher than I like my reloads to ride.  This probably helps keep it out of sight if the wearer's shirt rides up, but it puts a lot more of the magazine into contact with the body and costs a few comfort points, even with relatively short G19 magazines.  The second ding is that the BLT is constructed from a single piece of Kydex bent in half to form the shell - leaving an open channel around two sides for lint, debris, and other junk to get onto/into the magazine and top round.

The BLT looks like a good, solid, well-made magazine carrier.  We spent some time carrying it and it does a fine job of what it is supposed to do.  I don't know that it will be a primary reload carrier, but I it will go into rotation.

Next out of the box was a small sample bottle of Eagle Grit hand cleaner.  No, we hadn't heard of it before either.

Being one who performs a good amount of car, truck, and motorcycle repair and maintenance, and makes a mess of cleaning firearms and accessories after a good, dirty shooting session, I like a good hand cleaner as much as the next guy... but this struck us as an odd thing to include in a TacPack.

Thankfully, since receiving the Eagle Grit in September's TacPack, I haven't engaged in the up-to-your-elbows-in-grease-crud-in-every-crevice-busted-knuckle-getting-filthy-cussing-all-day type of vehicle work to really put it to a hard test.  We did, however, put on a range day where we sent a sizable mountain of lead downrange and got to participate in some pretty greasy, oily, carbon-y cleaning of a nearly as sizable pile of firearms and suppressors.  While the hand cleaner's task wasn't as tough as it could have been, it did a fine job of cleaning gun goo off of my hands. 

Based on their website, Eagle Grit looks like is mainly available for sale around California, with only a handful of other cities around the US carrying it.  It may do a fine job, but I doubt that I would go through the trouble of ordering it as a replacement for my ubiquitous favorite citrus-scented cleaner that we already have gallons of.

Last out of the box for September was a pair of devices ostensibly for long range precision shooters. 

The first of the pair is the Hoptic bubble level that mounts on a picatinny rail. 

Most of us here don't do much shooting past 200-300 yards, maybe 350-400 yards at a stretch every once in a long while, and we have never had a need for one of these before.  Even among the precision long range shooters that we hang around, a relatively low percentage of them have a level strapped to their rifle. 

Be that as it may, if having a level hanging off of the side of your rifle is something you need in your life, the Hoptic looks to be a good one.  It appears to be solidly constructed, the vial is well visible and seems to be well protected, and it is "always on," in contrast to some folding models that I know exist.

This just isn't something that we will get a lot of use out of.

Rounding out the month's tactical subscription box was a MGM Switchview Eagle Eye - a lever that you strap on to your adjustable-power scope that allows you to change the magnification lever quickly.

The idea here is that the shooter can have the scope in a low-magnification, wide field-of-view configuration to scan the woods/range for their target and then quickly get into a high-magnification, narrow field-of-view shooting configuration for maximum accuracy with "no more fumbling for the scope."

I have not experienced any significant issues of "fumbling for the scope" or big slow-downs when adjusting scope power; certainly not any that would make me want to attach a lever to my optic for branches, range bags, etc. to get caught on.

The one bullet point on the Eagle Eye product page that does make sense to me, however, is the promise of easier use in cold or wet environments.  I have used scopes in such environments, with and without gloves, and I can see where this would make scope adjustments easier.  Nonetheless, I don't see this getting much use around here either.

The September TacPack amounts to a $50 magazine carrier, a sample of hand cleaner, and some dust collectors. 

From the box insert:

Tactical Oatmeal Pistol Mag (44.00) - Get rid of that unwanted attention towards your crotch by getting that bulky magazine out of your pocket and into a Tactical Oatmeal magazine carrier. Your friends and range masters will thank you for it! These magazine carriers are constructed using waterproof, solvent proof, abrasion resistant, .08" thickness Kydex for superior durability compared to the common .06" Kydex. The size is minimal and doesn't take up too much real estate on your belt either. This is another product we field-tested and wanted to share with our subscribers.

Eagle Grit Hand Cleaner (8.00) - An Industrial strength American made hand cleaner that we fell in love with instantly! We take samples of this to the range with us every time we go and people seem to agree that it works well. This product is all natural and removes virtually any substance, kills odors, and moisturizes and repairs all without irritation! These guys created this product from scratch utilizing a homemade micro scrubbing formula... This stuff has become an instant 'must pack' in the range bag

Hoptic Bubble Level  (25.00)- We partnered up with Hoptic to get a custom made level. Anyone that shoots any kind of precision knows that a level gun is an accurate gun. The Hoptic bubble level is a simple yet effective upgrade to your precision rifle that prevents you from second guessing your position. It's design allows for easy reading without adjusting your position/head. Made out of Aluminum and ultra light weight..oh yes, and made in the USA.

Switch View Eagle Eye by MGM Targets(25.00) - Hunters, Tactical Shooters, Competitive Shooters... this is the item for you! The SwitchView function and reliability is now available in a UNIVERSAL fit, polymer version. It simply and securely attaches around the scope magnification ring for fast and easy adjustment of your scope. Pack it up, put it on and perform better at the range this weekend! Try it, it works well
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 06:31:44 PM by GunLink »

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
October 2017 TacPack - Tactical Subscription Box
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 01:49:16 PM »
Placeholder for full review of October 2017 TacPack box contents

The October box was a bit better than the September box, if only because we are suckers for cool blades.  This box had a neat knife from Bastion, a couple of AR parts from XTECH Tactical and JP Enterprises, and a TacPack patch.

The Bastion EDC Carbon Fiber Gentleman's Knife was the big winner out of this box.  We were prepared to be disappointed by the TacPack teasers about a "$90 knife" in the week or two leading up to the box arriving; knives in that range usually don't have what you look for in a couple hundred dollar knife, and they don't usually bring much more to the table over a $30-50 knife.

However, once it got here, I was pleasantly surprised - I think I found my new "dress knife."

The first thing I noticed was "wow, this is a fancy box for a knife" - followed immediately by "how the hell do you open this fancy box?"  The next thing was "dang, it came out of its spot in the fancy box and has been flopping around in there." 

After getting my mind off of the box, the next obvious observation was that this was one sexy knife.  The scales are 3K carbon fiber (3000 filaments per tow) and are mostly matte/semi-gloss.  The bevel on the black ceramic blade is matte, the rest of the blade is very high gloss, and the thumb stud reminds me of some fancy-looking cuff links.

Owing to the carbon fiber handle and ceramic blade, the knife weighs next to nothing - just over two ounces(!).  The blade is 3.25" and OAL is 7.5".  The tip-down (only) clip lets it ride pretty deep so it isn't hanging out of your pocket.  The looks, size, weight, and carry depth are why I say that I've found my new dress knife.  I don't have to play dress-up very often, but when I do, I think this knife will look much more at home in my slacks than the blades I usually carry.

On the flip side of the coin, however, one of the big draws of this knife is also one of its downfalls.  The ceramic blade looks fantastic, hardly weighs anything, and should keep a good edge for a long time if not abused.  It is also stupid-hard, which will make it hard to sharpen when it does lose its edge and it will also make it more brittle and susceptible to breaking if used like many of us use our EDC knives.  If your EDC knife usage is like my dress-up-knife usage (cutting strings off of clothes, opening envelopes, and cutting your sandwich in half), then this can be a great EDC knive.  If you use your EDC knife for breaking down piles of boxes, small prying jobs, and fighting off backs of ninjas or badgers, I don't know that it will last a long time.

Next up was the XTECH Adjustable Tactical Grip for AR platform rifles.  I think I remember seeing this at SHOT Show a few years ago and thinking it was kind of a goofy thing.  My opinion has not changed significantly since then. 

What this is, is two pieces of an AR-15 grip that you can bolt together to create a 17°, 25°, or 33° grip angle.

I understand that XTech has patented this adjustment mechanism, so this is the same grip (maybe with a slightly different texture) as the BAD Adjustable Tactical Grip and CobraTac Multi-Mission Grip. 

The adjustable grip is a neat thing to play around with, but we see a number of faults with it.  Not that we have seen a lot of pistol grip failures, but I would be wary of introducing another place for a weapon that you count on to fail.  To make things more interesting, in addition to the grip itself, this introduces more non-standard parts into the mix: the grip screw.  Not only is it longer than regular grip screws (if you want extras/replacements, you'll have to figure out how to source them) but, instead of a slotted or 3/16" hex head like every other grip screw I can find around here, it uses a 5/32 hex head.  That way, if you have to install the odd-ball screw you had to source, you also have to keep around a bastard size hex wrench - which is also necessary to make angle adjustments. 

The grip is comfortable enough in texture and at its various angles - from full-chicken-wing 33° down to the more vertical 17° -
 which are achieved by backing out the grip screw a few turns, moving the grip, and re-tightening the screw.  The material is all hard polymer with four different textures on it: fairly smooth on the body, something pretty similar on the front and forward sides, a little more aggressive on the rear sides, and horizontally lined down the back.

We have a few different grips on different rifles around GunLink HQ, depending on shooter preference and the purpose of the rifle (mostly more vertical Magpul K2+ grips, FWIW).  However, we prefer to figure out what we want/need on the rifle, go with that, and stay with that instead of swapping out grips/angles. 

If you will stay with one angle, why not choose a well-made, standard part with that angle and keep it?  If you need to change out grip angles based on the application, why not (other than duplicating the cost) choose a dependable standard part for each application and swap them out using standard tools/components?  Or, if you want to stick with just one grip, why not one that bolts on in the standard fashion, but adjusts through modular front and rear panels like the Magpul MIAD?

If you just had a standard pistol grip on your AR and wanted to think about trying out different grips and angles, or if you want the ability to be able to change angles on your range or hunting rifle, this XTECH is a decent inclusion for the TacPack box.  It probably is not something that we would have purchased on our own, but we appreciate having one to try out and it does a good job of rounding out the subscription box.

Next out of the October TacPack box was the JP Enterprises AR-15 Spring set - a kit consisting of reduced-weight trigger, hammer, and disconnecter springs for the AR fire control group.

Despite the fact that *some* of the GunLink team inexplicably cannot tell the difference, I like a great trigger in my rifles and few ARs around here have stock triggers in them.  The big hurdle toward putting something like a Geissele, Timney, LaRue, etc. trigger in a rifle is obviously the price.  When you can get a very basic entry-level AR for $400-500 these days, dropping 30-60% of the rifle's cost on a trigger can be unappealing.

While it won't cure all of the woes of a GI trigger, the kit will certainly help out by reducing the pull weight.  While we have not installed it in a rifle yet, it made a noticeable difference when installed with GI components in a LaRue TAC Trigger Action Chassis.  Although it adds about an extra half pound to the trigger pull, this "enhanced reliability" kit includes the red hammer spring instead of both "JP Yellows" - which should result in more reliable ignition of soft (and, usually, hard) primers.  Instructions are also included for optimizing standard FCG components.

Wrapping up the October box is a 'priceless' halloween themed black and orange TacPack morale patch.  It's a fun addition for subscribers to play velcro dress-up.

From the box insert:

The October pack has more customization items for your AR plus an incredibly high quality and high valued knife from the crew at Bastion. We are going all in for the Fall and Holiday month packs coming up starting with this one so stay tuned!

Bastion EDC Knife (92.00) – This super unique knife is ultra-light, slim and makes for an ideal minimalist carry blade. The knife features a ceramic blade with a handle that is made of pure 3K carbon fiber making it very durable and corrosion resistant. The knife features a tip-down clip and a lanyard hole.

XTech Adjustable AR15 Grip (25.00) – The XTECH Tactical Grip features a simple adjustment featuring 3 angles (170, 250, 330) that allow the operator to pick what suits them. XTECH is made in the USA!

JP Enterprises Trigger 3.5# Spring Kit (11.00) – These precision-calibrated springs produce a consistent 3.51b pull. These can also be used with properly prepared (instructions included) mil-spec trigger/hammer components to produce a 4- to 5-1b. pull.

TacPack Patch (Priceless)-Trick or treat? We chose treat with this new Halloween themed chute-patch!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 12:04:04 PM by GunLink »