!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: Leaked NRA docs show funny money stuff :: UPDATE: NRA finally responds  (Read 17132 times)

Offline TheHarleyB

• GunLink Member
Update 5/23: NRA finally responds with an overnight email (posted on p2)

Last night somebody dumped a bunch of "leaked" memos and letters between NRA execs that show some pretty sketchy stuff. Stuff like Wayne LaPierre spending a quarter million dollars on clothing and another quarter million bucks on travel ($40k per domestic flight?!). Stuff like paying a law firm almost $3 MILLION PER MONTH with no indication of what they're doing. And when asked to do a review of the expenditures, he either flat out refuses or just neglects to take action.

It looks like this garbage is probably a big part of why Oliver North gave up the presidency.

I grabbed the images so they didn't get disappeared but it looks like two of them got messed up. I think I tried saving them before they finished loading. Two of them don't look too important but I wish I'd got the third one.

I've tried to organize them mostly by date and put them in order.

Here is LTCOL Oliver North (just resigned NRA pres)  damning 4/18/19 letter to John Frazer (NRA secretary/general counsel) and Charles Cotton (chair of NRA audit committee)

« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 08:03:06 AM by TheHarleyB »

GunLink Discussion Forums

Offline TheHarleyB

• GunLink Member
Re: Leaked NRA docs show money stuff (bandwidth warning!)
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 12:56:00 PM »
On 4/12/2019 (according to a memo from North below), NRA filed a lawsuit against Ackerman McQueen (AM) "without consultation and without finformtin members of the NRA Board of Directors or Key officers"

On 4/22/19, AM responded with a couple of letters asking for "clarification" on how Wayne LaPierre really spent HALF A MILLION+ DOLLARS that they gave him for "clothing" and "travel"

Clothing Bills - $274,695.03

Offline TheHarleyB

• GunLink Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 12:57:13 PM »
Travel Bills - $267,430.53

Offline TheHarleyB

• GunLink Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 01:00:14 PM »
On 4/25/19, NRA pres Oliver North sent the NRA executive committee a memo stating that "NRA FACES A CRISIS"

Offline TheHarleyB

• GunLink Member
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 01:08:50 PM »
Oliver North's statement to the NRA board at the annual meetings

Offline TheHarleyB

• GunLink Member
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 01:10:29 PM »
NRA life member and instructor Andrew Lander sent the NRA board an open letter on 4/29/19. This is one of the ones that I messed up. I don't think there was anything big in it, just voicing his frustration.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 01:32:03 PM by TheHarleyB »

Offline TheHarleyB

• GunLink Member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 01:11:43 PM »
Also on 4/29/19, another life member/trainer sent another open letter

« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 01:32:45 PM by TheHarleyB »

Offline TheHarleyB

• GunLink Member
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2019, 01:14:12 PM »
The last of the leaked docs is a letter from NRA benefits/payroll manager Shawne Soto. I'm not sure why this one was included other than to show that they were messing with NRA employee pension benefits while LaPierre (and others?) were doing shady stuff with association money.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 01:33:22 PM by TheHarleyB »

Offline masfonos

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2019, 01:24:01 PM »
What the heck is going on over there?  $100,000 A DAY to a law firm that is... doing what?

North's "seven reasons why the NRA must engage an independent, outside expert to review the Brewer invoices immediately."

First, the Brewer firm's invoices appear to be excessive on their face
"More alarming still are the most recent figures provided in the table below by our Treasurer & Chief Financial Officer. His data indicates that the Brewer firm's invoices for 1st Quarter 2019 total more than $8.8 million - over $2.9 million per month - or $97,787 per day, seven days a week, every day of every month"

Second, the secrecy surrounding the Brewer firms' invoicing is alarming.
"We, and others have made multiple requests and recommendations for an outside, independent review of the Brewer firm's invoices. All of these requests have been denied."

Third, the Brewer firm's engagement letter is inconsistent with industry standards

Fourth, NRA's oversight of the Brewer firm is totally inconsistent with industry standards

Fifth, judges in cases in which the Brewer firm has been involved have determined that Mr. Brewer has engaged in improper unethical conduct and a Federal Judge in Virgina ejected him from representing the NRA in litigation.

Sixth, Mr. Brewer has been actively trying to stop an outside, independent review of his firm's invoices.

Seventh, the NRA Board of Directors has a fiduciary duty to oversee massive expenditures of NRA funds.

Offline Panther97

• GunLink Member
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2019, 02:18:05 PM »
with friends like these...

Offline go4

• GunLink Member
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2019, 05:45:24 PM »
And for all that $$$ members got what? Bump stock bans. Mag bans. Red flag laws. It’s not even compromise anymore. We get nothing in return, just more gun control. All while these people are throwing around money like they have the printing presses.

The “biggest and oldest 2a organization” lives like kings, accomplished nothing, and their “CRISIS” is losing non profit status? What a joke.

Offline masfonos

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2019, 07:58:57 PM »
Losing 501c3 status would be the end of the NRA. That is, of course, the goal of the NY courts and pols who are trying to attack from this angle. There are a lot of people who want to see that and they're on both sides of the RKBA fight.

Trump is on Twitter spinning it as an attack by Andrew Cuomo and the NY AG:
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1122837541084958725 "The NRA is under siege by Cuomo and the New York State A.G., who are illegally using the State’s legal apparatus to take down and destroy this very important organization, & others. It must get its act together quickly, stop the internal fighting, & get back to GREATNESS - FAST!" @realDonaldTrump 5:18 AM - 29 Apr 2019

I like a lot of what the President has done and is trying to do for our country but his hamhanded handling of gun rights issues and his track record on them (including historic AWB support, call for bumpstock review, not forming the 2A committee that he promised, etc) are not impressive. He's even actively attacked the NRA and now they're "very important". The NRA's track record is not that impressive either. WLP, "fudds", and other 2A compromisers and enemies within the organization have been a problem for a long time. I've given a lot to NRA and I'm not at all happy with how it's run, their lack of accomplishments, or any of this crap. I don't want to see the organization burn though. I just don't see how another (current) organization can fill their shoes, whatever those shoes are worth these days. They need to clear out the rotten core and become a true no-compromise defender of the Second Amendment. But based on what leadership has done to how the board is organized, I don't know how that can be done without burning it down.

I'd like to hear both sides of the story other than some random unverified leaked letters, but I'm sure that people in those types of positions have crisis management teams on hand to spin it to sound like it's OK. Maybe it's normal, maybe it's not. Members should DEMAND the audit that Ollie requested.

Offline Panther97

• GunLink Member
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2019, 11:17:46 AM »
NRA is a 501(c)4 org not 501(c)3.
Losing that status would be a huge blow and they would probably owe retroactive taxes on top.
I don't know if they could come back from that.

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• GunLink Member
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2019, 07:38:08 PM »
So, the laboratory I work for has to perform a set number of internal audits per year at the local level, at minimum one audit from the corporate level per year, plus multiple third party audits to keep our laboratory certifications....why aren’t they already doing audits?

I almost feel like it’s going to come out that the NRA isn’t really the NRA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TheHarleyB

• GunLink Member
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2019, 09:20:38 PM »
why aren’t they already doing audits?
Because the inner circle at the top appears to be robbing the organization blind? If I was using it as my personal piggy bank I'd try to keep any audits from happening. Oh, that's what he's doing.

I almost feel like it’s going to come out that the NRA isn’t really the NRA.
Like maybe it's run by a cabal of unconcerned (at best) or low key anti-gun (at worst) fifth column people like Wayne LaPierre that hang out with people like Harry Reid and give money to anti-gun law firms and pay $13k for 3 months of an apartment for some chick?  Couldn't be.

Then again, I'm not a rich executive of a major organization, so I don't know how much rich-guy stuff costs. Maybe a $40k charter plane and a $39k clothes shopping trip and $4k/month apartment for an intern is normal. Funneling it through AMc doesn't look good though. All of that pales in comparison to what they're paying Brewer though. That's what looks the worst. 3mil a month and they're not even involved in any major lawsuits that I know of.

Offline MutantMaker

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
Re: Leaked NRA docs show funny money stuff (bandwidth warning!)
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2019, 08:56:29 AM »
Is it going to come out the law firm is owned by one of the board members? 
NRA is the largest group out there, what other organizations are good and are actually pro-2A?

Offline TheHarleyB

• GunLink Member
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2019, 12:10:13 AM »
That kind of relationship hasn't come out yet, but I read that Brewer Attorneys & Counselors (the law firm getting $3,000,000 per month from NRA) is run by Bill Brewer who is the son in law of Angus McQueen who is the CEO of Ackerman McQueen (the company that employs most of the NRA faces and who is paying for all of WLP's shady stuff).

Also read something about how WLP got in trouble for using AMc for something so he outsourced it to some other company (Mirage, or Millennium, or something) and it turned out that they're a wholly owned subsidiary of AMc.

There's some kind of crazy relationship going on there.

https://www.am.com/our-team/?id=angus-mcqueen
https://www.brewerattorneys.com/

https://www.opensecrets.org/search?q=william+a+brewer+iii&type=donors
William A Brewer III donates money to democrat causess. A lot of money. To a lot of dem candidates. Like Hillary Clinton, Sheldon Whitehouse, the DNC, barack obama, dem PACs, and others. Many tens of thousands of dollars to dems and about 2k to GWB back in 1999.

https://www.opensecrets.org/search?q=angus+mcqueen&type=donors
Angus McQueen donates money to republican causes.

These guys are related but one of them is currently in a legal fight with NRA and one of them is getting $100,000 from NRA every single day.

Bickel & Brewer is apparently called Brewer Attorneys & Counselors now. William A Brewer III at BA&C: https://www.linkedin.com/in/williamabrewer/ and John Bickel at B&B: https://www.linkedin.com/in/john-bickel-5bba7410/. Clicking the B&B company on JBs profile goes to BA&C.

https://www.opensecrets.org/search?q=BICKEL%2C+JOHN&type=donors
John Bickel of B&B also donates money to democrat causes like Elizabeth Warren, Lone Star Fund, Dallas County Democrat Party, rapist Al Franken, hillary clinton, barack obama, democrat party of TX, Democratic Congressional Campaign cmte, John Edwards, Sheldon Whitehouse, and a lot more.

Their law firm is listed as a "top contributor" to a lot of democrat causes. https://www.opensecrets.org/search?q=BICKEL+%26+Brewer&type=orgs

WHY IN THE HELL IS THE NRA IN BED WITH THESE PEOPLE?

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• GunLink Member
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2019, 12:34:36 AM »
I feel like I’m in a South Park episode where obama and bush jr were really working together to go so far left they became right.

Offline TheHarleyB

• GunLink Member
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2019, 08:24:08 AM »
Now NRA is tweeting about dem presidential candidates declaring their "unwavering support for NRA and 2A"?  😠

(edit) after those tweets they say that it's gillebrand and call her a anti gun hypocrite. Ironic since they're calling her out for the quote about "banning guns for certain features" and they called for the bumpstock review.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 08:36:29 AM by TheHarleyB »

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• GunLink Member
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2019, 05:13:37 PM »
I have a hard time believing gillebrand made those statements.   Hacked?