!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: What was the first firearm you bought?  (Read 9902 times)

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
What was the first firearm you bought?
« on: November 03, 2010, 09:21:43 PM »
What was the first firearm that you purchased?

And... GO!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 02:10:52 PM by GunLink »

GunLink Discussion Forums

What was the first firearm you bought?
« on: November 03, 2010, 09:21:43 PM »

Offline masfonos

Re: What was the first firearm you bought?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 03:45:16 PM »
I think it was a used AR15 built on a PWA lower with a heavy-barrel Colt upper.

Definitely one of my favorite platforms.

Offline Uncle Buck

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 05:55:49 PM »
  The first one I remember buying was a S&W 686, .357 Magnum, stainless steel with a 4" barrel I believe...  I sold it to my brother when I joined the military and was shipped overseas.

He sold it for much less than it was worth to pay off a debt.  I would have paid him twice the price he got for it if he had asked me.

Offline Mr.Black

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 08:43:43 PM »
My first gun? Hmm it's been awhile but I think it was a Mossberg 12 gauge, don't remember the model but I do know it came from Wal-Mart and just over $100. My how times have changed.

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 08:45:28 PM »
Nice hand cannon for a first choice.

It's a shame to lose track of a firearm that's special to you.  There was a thread on a few gun boards about a guy wanting to get back in touch with his first black rifle:
So the story goes, back in '95, I earned the highest rank in Boy Scouts, the Eagle Scout rank. I had just turned 18 and this was during the Clinton ban era. I decided it would be a great idea to purchase a new Colt AR-15 rifle that my neighbor was telling me about at one of the local pawn shoppes. It seems they had some great deals on post-ban black rifles and I purchased a 16" flat top model with the heavy barrel. I loved that rifle and shot quite a bit of $2.00/20rds box ammunition through it a McKellar's Lodge range on post at Ft. Bragg. Then I moved to SC, got married, and time went by. I didn't have anywhere to shoot and it started collecting dust. Fast forward three years and I "need" a new pistol, a Colt Defender .45, for concealed carry. I don't really have the money at the time and this is a great deal on this pistol. Well, I got this AR-15 that I don't shoot anymore, I get the pistol and some money to boot. Everything's great right, wrong. I think about that rifle everyday and kick myself for being so stupid as to trade it away. I learned about selling/trading things and still have the Defender

As of 11-5-98, it was at Medlin's pawn shoppe in Dillon, SC. I still have the box for it,

There was nothing special about it, just a post-ban, heavy barreled, 16" flat top, but it was my first. I would be willing to purchase the complete rifle or the lower if that is what you have left of it. if you have serial number CJC004793, please get in touch with me. Thanks, Wesley

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 08:47:31 PM »
My first gun? Hmm it's been awhile but I think it was a Mossberg 12 gauge, don't remember the model but I do know it came from Wal-Mart and just over $100. My how times have changed.

Another good choice.  I'm fully on the Mossberg bandwagon when it comes to shotguns; I don't care as much for the Remmingtons.  500A is a great gun.  Why did you pick that?  Hunting, HD, , clays, etc?

Offline Uncle Buck

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 09:05:29 AM »
Going through my paperwork on the guns that I now own, the first one I bought when I cam to Missouri was a Winchester Savage Model 110, bolt action .243.  $175.00

Why:

I had been invited to hunt coyotes with an old boy who ran dogs.  It came with a cheap scope that lasted for a few years.  I think I made my money back on the cost of the rifle by selling pelts, but I did not keep records on that.

The .243 has become my favorite deer rifle.

Offline ozarkbill

• marketplace
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 02:17:20 PM »
An old H&R single shot 12 GA for pheasants in Iowa. First good gun was a Win model 12, 30",in full choke pump, for pheasants and trap shooting. A bunch of .22's. I still have a Marlin 60 from J C Penny's I bought new in the 1960's. It still shoots accurate.

Offline CWFoster

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 05:59:00 PM »
Savage Fox Model B 20 ya. S/S shotgun. I was eighteen. I still have it. My second was a few.months later, and I had my mother purchase a River Mk I target pistol with the 6 7/8 tapered barrel. I don't have that one anymore.  :( I once wrote down all the guns I own and have owned and had two columns on both sides of a sheet of notebook paper!

Offline RussellSR

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 12:12:30 AM »
HR single shot 12 ga at 16, my money my dad with me to buy it. Doves, squirrels, quail, rabbits and deer fell to that simple gun.

Offline masfonos

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 11:45:33 PM »
HR single shot 12 ga at 16, my money my dad with me to buy it. Doves, squirrels, quail, rabbits and deer fell to that simple gun.
An old H&R single shot 12 GA for pheasants in Iowa.
Nothing wrong with these old things. Mine has seen plenty of time in the woods and at the range.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 11:53:32 AM by masfonos »

Offline small

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2011, 11:19:22 AM »
My First was a Marlin Mdl 60 bought at KMart for $69 IIRC. I picked it up about 48 hours after I turned 18. I am near deaf in my left ear from that and my second firearm a Remington 870. Young and Dumb. Back in the day 1987, you could buy an "Ammo can" of bulk .22lr IIRC it was 650 round for $5.99. I grew up in a rural area surround by the suburban subdivisions. We were an Island of about 100 acres, my folks had only one but the "Block" we lived on was significant. It would be nothing for myself and friends to go through several of those Ammo Cans in a afternoon after school, shooting old oil filters, metal plates that would "Ting" when we hit them. The fact that it was a semi we'd horse around to see who could unload the fastest with also the best accuracy. Kind of like Dirty Harry and the Hogans Alley. Oh my miss spent youth. I still have the Mdl 60 its had without exaggeration near 40K rounds down the barrel. These days guys complain if the Mdl 60's trigger pull. I have to say that mine has smooth out. Its got a bigger scope now finely removed the 2x7x15 Tasco that I bought shortly after I got the rifle. That things was still holding zero after all this time only removed 'cus my eyes are so good. 

Offline speedydg13

• GunLink Member
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 07:35:49 PM »
Still have it, a Winchester 190 .22 rifle. I've added several handguns, an SKS and a shotgun since then. Only one I no longer have is a Ruger Security Six, which I sold because I began working with semi-auto pistols and got rid of the revolver. Sure wish I woulda kept it.

Offline masfonos

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 10:16:05 PM »
Still have mine too. And I ought to... I can only think of two guns that I've ever got rid of, sold one and traded the other. The one I sold didn't have any sort of sentimental value to me at all, although it was sort of fun (when it worked). The trade, I'm pretty happy with and, if I really wanted to, could probably go visit it.

Wishing they still had it is a pretty common theme I hear from people that sold their guns.

Offline SharpsShooter

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 08:14:38 AM »
I wish I had back every gun I ever sold.  I can always find a reason to want it back.

Offline TheTacDaddy

• An average America looking our for his family!
    • TacDaddy.com
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2013, 07:08:23 PM »
Smith, 696 .44 special, still have it, awesome accurate pistol!
TACDADDY LIVE - Thursday nights streamed on the TacDaddy home page - 9pm EST
http://www.TacDaddy.com

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2013, 09:22:01 PM »
That's a bunch of gun! How did you decide on that for your first?

Offline JammGear

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
    • Best of the best tactical gear and boots
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 10:29:32 PM »
New England Firearms .410 Terroized the hell out of some Rabbits and even a Turkey or two.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

http://jammgear.com/
http://tacticalfl.com