!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: Another "Celebrity" Goes on Gun Control Rant - Bob Costas Sunday Night Football  (Read 3904 times)

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
By now, pretty much everyone has seen (or at least heard about) Bob Costas' NFL Sunday Night Football gun control diatribe spouted as two families and countless friends mourned the murder/suicide involving Kansas City Chiefs' Javon Belcher.  While this may or may not qualify as a genuine "tragedy," it is unfortunate that people like Costas take the "never let a tragedy go to waste" cliche to heart and use it as a means to push their own political agendas and viewpoints.  It is also unfortunate that such an anti-gun viewpoint was pushed during prime time television on NBC Sports, one of the major sponsors of the upcoming NSSF Shooting, Hunting and Outdoor Trades (SHOT) Show.

For those of you who may not have seen or heard Costas' anti-gun statements:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwITdXFrvYw[/youtube]

Well, a bit of it comes from a Kansas City based-writer Jason Whitlock with whom I do not always agree but who today said it so well today that we may as well as quote or paraphrase from the end of his article.

'Our current gun culture,' Whitlock wrote, '... ensures that more and more domestic disputes will end in the ultimate tragedy, and that more convenience-store confrontations over loud music coming from a car will leave more teenaged boys bloody and dead. ...

'Handguns do not enhance our safety. They exacerbate our flaws, tempt us to escalate arguments and bait us into embracing confrontation rather than avoiding it.'

In the coming days, Jovan Belcher's actions and their possible connections to football will be analyzed. Who knows? But here, wrote Jason Whitlock is what I believe. If Jovan Belcher didn't possess a gun, he and Kasandra Perkins would both be alive today.

As usual, Costas and his ilk fail to grasp that bad people will do bad things regardless of what means they use to do them.  It is laughable that anyone thinks that a 6'2" 230lb NFL linebacker would not have been able to murder his girlfriend without the use of a firearm.  I don't seem to recall the public outcry for knife control when a 6'1" 212lb OJ Simpson 'allegedly' murdered Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman.  Nor do I recall such outcry when former St Louis Cardinal defensive end Robert Rozier committed multiple murders with a knife.  When was the last time you heard any prime-time rant on knife crime, domestic violence, etc. over something like this?

Costas is sticking by his statements (as are throngs of online anti-gun zealots who support his views) and is even doubling down during a chat with Dan Patrick.  Despite Costas leading off with what has become the obligatory fluff of "people should be allowed to own guns for their own protection. Obviously, those who are hunters," he continued:  "I don’t see any reason a citizen should be able to arm himself in some states in ways only police or military should — to have a virtual militia (bought by) mail order or gun shows. Why do you need a semi automatic weapon? What possible use is there?"

The astounding, self-contradictory 180 that Costas pulled while talking to Patrick, one second advocating the right to self defense and asking what the use of a semi-automatic firearm is in the next breath, is indicative of the cognitive dissonance (let alone abscence of common sense or logic) apparent in so many members of the Gun Control Lobby.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 06:33:48 PM by GunLink »

GunLink Discussion Forums

Offline masfonos

Who could have fathomed that television networks and their mouthpieces are antigun?  Next we'll find out that Hollywood is antigun too!

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
Costas just doesn't get it.

Barkley to Costas: 'I Carry a Real Gun' ... 'I Just Feel Safer With It'

Former NBA star Charles Barkley discussed the Jovan Belcher murder-suicide and Bob Costas' controversial gun control comments on Costas Tonight.

Barkley blasted what he called a "crime culture" in the black community that leads to violence, such as in the case of Belcher, and said that he carried a gun in order to make himself feel safer.
COSTAS: You live in Arizona where you can legally carry a gun.

BARKLEY: Even when I lived in Philadelphia, I've had a gun, I've carried a real gun in my car every year in my life since I was 22, 21. Never had to use it.
(continue reading...)

If you get a chance, actually watch the clip that is included in the story.

Barkley cites numerous reasons why he "feels safer" by having carried a firearm for the past 30 or so years, including people getting robbed, road rage and other extreme circumstances that could happen to everyone.  He also cited reasons that might be more specific to sports players or other celebrities, saying that people know when they have cash, know their schedule, know when they're away and when they're coming back from road trips, etc.

Costas then tip-toes around what he said said and claims that he wasn't laying the whole situation at the feet of the "gun culture" and gun ownership.  To quote his original rant, with which he said he wholeheartedly agrees, "If Jovan Belcher didn't possess a gun, he and Kasandra Perkins would both be alive today."  Whether he believes that there may or may not have been other contributing factors to the situation, that is most definitely placing it on the gun.

Costas continues with an anecdote relayed from Tony Dungy, who apparently gathered his Indianapolis Colts together, with 80 guys, and said "raise your hand if you have a gun" and 65 guys raised their hand.  Costas continued with his misguided opinion, "even if every one of those guys had a gun legally, you have to believe that more bad things than good are going to come out of it."

As usual, the anti-gun crowd fails to use logic or facts with their arguments.  Of the 30 odd years that Sir Charles has carried a firearm, how much bad has come of it?  Of the over 81% of Colts players who have guns, how much bad has come out of it?  Of the many, many millions of guns in the United States, how much bad comes out of it?  Only the relatively few incidents that we hear being blown out of proportion by the anti-gun media.  Compare that the the rate fatal vehicle crashes or any number of other "dangerous" things.

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Jhm9WbcBPA#![/youtube]
PJTV: ZoNation: Jovan Belcher Tragedy: Blame the Man not the NRA

Liberals like Jason Whitlock want you to believe that the NRA
killed Kansas City Chiefs player Jovan Belcher and his girlfriend.
Zo tells you why the NRA is not the KKK, and reminds you who
is really to blame for this murder-suicide, in addition to other
tragedies in black communities.