!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: Dooms day and prime time TV  (Read 6315 times)

Offline small

Dooms day and prime time TV
« on: March 03, 2012, 12:50:46 PM »
I have been noticing a large up tic in the amount of "TEOTWAWKI" type shows. H2 was/is showing Dooms Day prepers show different people preparing for different reason but all for the end.

One group in Texas IIRC had stock piled enough food for 15people/20yrs or 20people/15yrs. Are armed and ready for the collapse.

Another group is building a bunker, yet another is already off the grid and teaching his kids to "live off the fat of the land"

Now Discovery has the "Doomsday Bunker" show airing soon. Its the same idea.

Talking to other gun owners and range mates, the topic of What Fire Arms to keep, or have on hand, how much ammo etc. There are also other "what to have" topics but I'll start here with the "Guns" since its a "Gun Forum".

I had years back, when I had my C&R, been buying or trying to buy many different rifles in different calibers and also reloading equipment for them. There was/is 6.5 Swede Mauser , 7mm Mauser, 8mm Mauser 7.65 Belgium/Argentine Mauser, 303 British and a few others. The Idea I had at the time was that IF    it all came down I would be able to gather up all sorts of different ammo that "most" would pass by since its well, odd. Unlike .223, .270, 30/30, 30-06 and some others which would quickly come off store shelves. Heck even odd stuff would be taken to be traded later for other items. Yet they would only be useful to the owner of that particular caliber.

While I still think its good to have a variety, it doesn't make a lot of sense for many practical reasons, not that preparing for TEOTWAWKI is practical, having some for a J.I.C. is always advisable. In my case; room was an issue, cost was an issue, and the idea that IF I/we had to leave (bug out) carry all the odd ones would take up room and add weight. Ex, 1891 Argentine weights about 8 pounds a small supply of ammo is another 8 pounds, do this for four different calibers and it starts adding up. Instead of the rifle for $150, and ammo and dies for another $150+, Buying 1000rnd of .223 weight about the same and goes further, do that times four rifles and now were up to 4000 rnd of .223 a pretty good supply for a very long time. Or buy several 1000rnd lots of 9mm for $200/ea and still save weight and space.

So anyone else out there preparing or thinking of or have thoughts on it? Again "fire power" is but one of many things that need to be planned and available should SHTF. I just thought I'd start here.     

GunLink Discussion Forums

Dooms day and prime time TV
« on: March 03, 2012, 12:50:46 PM »

Offline masfonos

Re: Dooms day and prime time TV
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 12:01:40 PM »
Great topic!

I see the trend too.  It's interesting to see other people's takes on it.  I think they're just giving us what we want to see...although it would be interesting to know why that's what everyone wants to see all of a sudden.  Sort of like why is everything zombie-this and zombie-that now days?  Does the collective subconscious know something we don't?  :o  Or maybe they just realized "hey, everyone sure liked Burt Gummer...let's make a bunch of shows about those types of weirdos!"

It was kind of hokey, but I liked seeing how the people from Discovery's The Colony put their skills together and "survived".  And I always thought that the first season of Jericho was eerily like a post-nuke how-to series.

I've always been interested in that type of thing but it wasn't always so mainstream.  I've always liked fishing and hunting and have always grown some of our own food and generally liked DIY type stuff.  I like being self sufficient, whether it's TEOTWAWKI or not.  We've got some minor preps, we try to have enough stuff on hand for immediate problems (bridges/roads out, occupy riots, etc - realistic type stuff that could keep you from getting to the grocery store as often as one might be accustomed to) as well as a little bit of longer-term stuff in case there is a zombie apocalypse.

The idea of having a variety of calibers for a "doomsday" scenario is a good one if you're bugging in or if you have a deuce-and-a-half to bug out with but, like you say, can get impractical pretty fast.  I see a good, practical BOB (bug out bag) as containing some extra socks and other "useful" clothes, a few days worth of food, a knife and/or multi-tool, something to make fire with, some paracord or sturdier rope, local/regional maps (along with a compass and orienteering know-how), a handgun in a common caliber and some ammo for it.  If there's room a small, light rifle or carbine or a shotgun wouldn't be a bad idea.  Come to think of it, it's a lot like what I'd take on a remote camping trip and there's probably a reason for that.

Something like that would be a decent kit that could go far in a variety of situations and could easily be tailored to individual needs.  It's got the basics (stuff to keep your warm, fed, protected, etc) and could get you by for a few days in anything from riots, zombies, Red Dawn invasions, mad cow and/or bad lettuce outbreaks, long-term power outages, comic-book villain attacks, etc.  If nothing else, it buys you some time to let things settle down, get your head on straight and figure out what to do next without having to venture out too far for those essentials.

Offline small

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 06:15:34 PM »
Funny you call it a BOB (bug out bag) I'm inclined to call it a GOOD bag, (Get Out Of Dodge).

FEMA I hear is in Eastern Illinois (and elsewhere)  is setting up "camps" some say refuge some say concentration others re-education, pictures of FEMA coffins are circulating the net as are of the camps.

I had heard many many years ago (early 80's) long before it was cool to even discuss this type of stuff, that NATO was going to come in and take over. Thing was they wouldn't know how to read our street signs. So on the backs of the signs were placed different colored stickers that were code for them to understand. Sure enough, I have seen those stickers yet I doubt they'd be all that much good. Unless GPS was down b/c of a EMP of some kind. Besides quality maps of the US can be had well in advance of a disaster. I have some.

I haven't seen all the shows or even a complete show yet but I wonder about medical supplies? How much and of what kinds? On a program similar to those mentioned showed an EMT and his family bugging out of LA IIRC and how they made it as far as they did. Seems the Father cut his finger on some wood, it got infected, and he died, just like that. So do I talk my doctor into feeding my neuroses and have him prescribe me a few courses of anti-biotic? Dozens?

FEMA say any "go to" destination in the event you do need to leave, should be within a single tank of gas. I'd read elsewhere to keep 20 gallons on hand J.I.C. too.

Another blogger mentioned not bugging out at all but building/living in a self sufficient rural community. Small government, small area to defend, everyone is already "Neighborly" not thrown into it all at once, which could lead to mega issues down the road, "Who to throw your lot in with?"  The first "Honest looking group?" sorry I saw that movie.

Our Plan is to hide/secure most of what were not bringing with. Then to BO to a relatives farm that has live stock and is pretty isolated/remote. A hour or so North on the highway with little traffic. Traveling will be the most difficult since we are in such a dense area outside of Chicago in the Western Burbs. High Ways will be jammed and side streets will be potential traps. Depending on the event we'll dig in for the first few days until stuff settles then make our way in a caravan (multiple; cars, trucks, SUV's and Motorcycles) to the farm. Then its anyone's guess.

I'm not learning ham radio yet but think it might be useful to hear whats going on maybe. Having a energy backup source is always on my mind, Solar, Wind, Hydro, it all sounds good but how much of any of it? Probable better to be off grid to begin with, kind of like the Amish but with Firearms! 

Offline PSimon23

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 03:30:51 AM »
Similar subject was being discussed at yahoo answers last week. I can post the link if needed.
I'm on Twitter and my essay

Offline SharpsShooter

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 11:18:21 AM »
Similar subject was being discussed at yahoo  last week. I can post the link if needed.

I would like to see that link

Offline ThatGuy762x51

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 02:02:59 PM »
I could watch that kind of programming all day.  I would love to hear some suggestions of similar things to watch.

Offline masfonos

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 02:28:44 PM »
I just started watching Jericho again via Netflix...a "refresher" I guess.

I've also been seeing commercials for Revolution on NBC lately.  It looks interesting, I'll probably give it a shot.

I guess this type of programming is still "hot"

Offline jonbouy00

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 04:27:18 PM »
Good topic. I have been interested in this the last few years and recently joined a local group. Went to a weekend camp to learn a few things. Possibilities are unlimited on what could occur, so you are playing the odds on the actions you take, that they will be the right one, or can be shifted to suffice. I have also seen articles giving various scenrios increase lately, probably what turned my interest.
Jon
The phrase,"common sense" no longer means, common sense.

Offline jonbouy00

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 05:45:24 AM »
http://draginol.joeuser.com/article/425939
I think a good article on, If The Lights Go Out: What Happens If The Grid Goes Down?
Jon
The phrase,"common sense" no longer means, common sense.