!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: What game do you hunt?  (Read 10329 times)

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
What game do you hunt?
« on: February 07, 2011, 08:49:07 AM »
Are you a hunter?  What game do you pursue?  Set any records or have trophy pictures you'd like to share?  This is the spot for it.

I hunt most types of game.  Whitetail, wild turkey, pheasant, rabbits, etc.

What about you?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 11:20:07 AM by GunLink »

GunLink Discussion Forums

What game do you hunt?
« on: February 07, 2011, 08:49:07 AM »

Offline masfonos

Re: What game do you hunt?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 11:26:04 AM »
I hunt whitetail deer with compound bow, muzzleloader and shotgun.  As of last fall, I can hunt deer with a rifle but I haven't got a chance to do it yet.  I also like hunting squirrel, rabbit, and pheasant.  I've also been known to whack various critters who wander through our yard.

I've never hunted coyotes or wild pigs, but that's what I'd really like to do.

Offline Uncle Buck

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 11:11:05 PM »
I used to like to hunt deer, but just do not seem to have the ability to tolerate the cold any more.

Squirrels, rabbits and other small game are a favorite of mine.

Offline masfonos

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 11:57:56 PM »
With the way weather has been going you almost have to worry about it being too hot rather than too cold, especially during certain parts of bow season.  I guess I still get some sort of sick pleasure sitting on the ground in the snow or sneaking through the woods over slippery rocks and logs, getting snowed, rained, sleeted, hailed, etc. on with numb fingers and hoping that my muzzle loader (or what have you) goes off if and when I get that perfect shot on ol' Bambi.

Squirrel hunting provides a much simpler pleasure, though, at least for me.  Long seasons and during a beautiful part of the year to be in the woods.  All day hunting opportunities.  Lots of chances to catch some Zs in the cool shade of a tree without worrying too much about "that monster squirrel that got away."  Relatively high bag limits.  And much more.

Man, now I've got the itch to get out hunting!  Too bad the heat index was around 120 today  :-X

Offline Uncle Buck

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 10:15:28 AM »
I know this thread is a couple of months old  :D but I had to re-visit it.

I did get a chance to go squirrel hunting with one of my nephews a few weeks ago.  I carried a little seat that I could sit on if my legs felt llike they would give out.

The hardest part of this squirrel hunt was trying to find a box of wooden matches.  (The small type)  I find a squirrel and shake the box of wooden matches and he'll stick his head out to see what the noise is.  Then he gets shot!  I have not had this much enjoyment in a long, long time.

We put the squirrels in a pressure cooker with a little spice and cook them until the meat starts to fall off of the bone.  Then a little B-B-Q sauce and you have a meal!

Offline SharpsShooter

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 12:38:56 PM »
It's hard not to have a good time taking some young'uns hunting.  I used the match box trick before.  If your rifle has a wooden stock you can also rap on it quickly with a coin and they will poke their head out too.  Give it a try and you can see what kind of squirrel sound you are imitating and perfect it.

Glad to hear you are out in the wood and having fun.

Offline Kilimanjaro

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 03:06:08 PM »
My son and I just returned from a hunt on the Alaskan peninsula as part of Kilimanjaro's 2011 field testing efforts.  We were both able to take Alaskan Brown Bear, including a very impressive 9.5 foot monster that put up the longest and most intense close quarters battle of my hunting career.  Of course, hunting conditions in our spike camp were wonderful: 30 to 40 degrees, 30 to 60 MPH winds, and an unrelenting driving rain - all the stuff that makes the peninsula in October such a memorable hunt.
Erik Eike
Kilimanjaro Rifles

Offline Hill_William

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 08:51:03 AM »
My son and I just returned from a hunt on the Alaskan peninsula as part of Kilimanjaro's 2011 field testing efforts.  We were both able to take Alaskan Brown Bear, including a very impressive 9.5 foot monster that put up the longest and most intense close quarters battle of my hunting career.  Of course, hunting conditions in our spike camp were wonderful: 30 to 40 degrees, 30 to 60 MPH winds, and an unrelenting driving rain - all the stuff that makes the peninsula in October such a memorable hunt.
Erik Eike
Kilimanjaro Rifles

I try to hunt as much as I can but I have never done anything like that.  Sounds like fun but... man.

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• Team GunLink
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 11:43:34 PM »
My boyfriend has tried to teach me to hunt squirrel a few times. I was under the impression that this should have been easy. Except, I grew up in generic sububria and I guess I didn't acquire the ability to do a few things, such as walk through the woods quietly, not being terrified of insects and other non-mammalian critters, and the ability to sit quietly. I think he gave up.

Offline JamesCollins

• GunLink Member
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2019, 05:33:27 PM »
This past thanksgiving we went on a turkey hunt. First time I’ve ever done one and it was rather fun. Would have to better prepare if I went again but overall we enjoyed it

Offline masfonos

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2019, 04:14:12 PM »
This past thanksgiving we went on a turkey hunt. First time I’ve ever done one and it was rather fun. Would have to better prepare if I went again but overall we enjoyed it

Were you successful? I can’t recall for sure but I don’t think I’ve gone out for Turkey, if I did it was only a time or two and didn’t get anything. I’ve seen plenty while hiking and hunting other game.

I gather it’s pretty hard due to their good vision allowing them to bust you.

We’re you using calls, decoys, etc. or just waiting for them to come by? 

Offline JamesCollins

• GunLink Member
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2020, 04:41:14 PM »
Been doing some deer hunting lately and I’m not sure if it’s working for me

Offline TheHarleyB

• GunLink Member
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2020, 11:17:46 AM »
I'm in the process of moving to a new area where I'll hopefully be able to do more hunting from small game up to deer and hogs. What isn't working for you about deer hunting? You just don't like it?

Offline JamesCollins

• GunLink Member
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2021, 11:30:27 PM »
Buddy went elk hunting and helicoptered in and out. One of the best stories I’ve ever hears