!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: SHOT Show 2020 :: January 20-24 :: Las Vegas  (Read 11129 times)

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
SHOT Show 2020 :: January 20-24 :: Las Vegas
« on: November 12, 2019, 10:20:43 AM »

2020 SHOT SHOW
Januay 21-24, 2020
Sands Expo & Convention Center
Las Vegas, NV

The annual Shooting, Hunting, and Outdoor Trade Show - SHOT Show - is just around the corner and will be here before we know it. Spanning the fourth week of January, the industry's biggest show of its kind draws people from around the globe to see the latest firearms and gear to hit the market along with new products soon to hit the market and prototypes offering a glimpse of the future.

What we thought would be smooth sailing in the industry since the last presidential elections has turned somewhat stormy with rulings, such as those banning bump stocks, and now, renewed talk of bans, confiscation, and more. Thus far, however, firearm makers don't seem to be slowing down when it comes to innovation and the 2020 exhibition promises many exciting new firearms and accessories to keep pushing the industry forward.

Without spilling the beans too much, we can definitely say that there are a number of interesting concealed carry pistols, modern sporting rifles, and optics that we are excited to see and share with our readers.

As we have for the past decade, the GunLink team will be at the Big Show to see it all; from the annual pre-show SHOT Show Industry Day at the Range - where we will go hands-on with live-fire on the newest firearms - to the closing of the exhibit hall, we'll be bringing you all the news about this year's innovations in the world of firearms, ammo, and gear.  We'll be showing you everything from the slickest firearms, most effective ammo, ruggedest gear, and clearest optics.

Join the discussion here on the GunLink Forums, watch the GunLink Blog, and connect with us on social media throughout SHOT Show 2020 so you don't miss a thing!

GunLink 2020 SHOT Show Coverage
made possible in part by:

Want to get involved with GunLink coverage of the 2020 SHOT Show? Contact us today.

SHOT Show® Industry Day at the Range™ is owned and operated by CMG Marketing & Events and Triple Curl Public Relations and Advertising. The "SHOT Show®", "Shooting, Hunting and Outdoor Trade ShowSM" and "SHOTSM" names, logos, and images are trademarks or registered trademarks owned exclusively by the NSSF. GunLink is not endorsed by any of these organizations and the extent of GunLink's affiliation with them consists solely of GunLink staff's NSSF Media membership.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 05:31:38 PM by GunLink »

GunLink Discussion Forums

« on: November 12, 2019, 10:20:43 AM »

Offline GL_SHOT

• GunLink SHOT Coverage
  • Global Moderator
  • GunLink SHOT Coverage
    • GunLink Forums
Re: SHOT Show 2020 :: January 20-24 :: Las Vegas
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 11:20:23 PM »
We have a lot of stuff on our To See list; it should be a good year. There are actually interesting new products coming out.

Offline marktucker

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 02:24:44 PM »
In to see if Desert Tech finally got the MDR right with the "EXTREME" MDRX. Also side by side of the Sig Cross rifle and the Q Fix.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 02:46:05 PM by marktucker »

Offline TheHarleyB

• GunLink Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 04:15:20 PM »
There looks to be some decent stuff coming out recently or coming out soon.  Can't wait for the Ruger 5.7 to knock the bottom out of the ridiculous 5.7x28 pistol market. Hopefully more manufacturers get in the game soon for more competition. The MSRP is already something like half the price of the FN, I wonder what the street price will be.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 04:34:09 PM by TheHarleyB »

Offline TheHarleyB

• GunLink Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 04:25:01 PM »
Also want to see if the Keltec P17 (and CP333) .22lr is more than just more Keltec vaporware or if it's real and how it handles.   https://www.keltecweapons.com/firearms/pistols/p17/

I guess I'd like to know more about the new Glock 44, but I don't know what else there is to know about it.  It's a .22 G19 that only holds 10+1 and costs as much as a centerfire Glock. If Taurus and KelTec can figure out double (or more) stack .22lr semi pistols, why can't Glock and Smith & Wesson with the G44 and MP22?  If my idea was to get cheap practice with a carry Glock I'd rather just get a conversion kit.  https://us.glock.com/en/pistols/g44

I also like the idea of S&W coming out with the Shield EZ in 9mm. Makes more sense to me than the .380 but they came out with the .380 first like Glock did with the G42/G43.   https://www.smith-wesson.com/9ez
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 04:34:38 PM by TheHarleyB »

Offline Panther97

• GunLink Member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 04:42:51 PM »
In to see if Desert Tech finally got the MDR right with the "EXTREME" MDRX. Also side by side of the Sig Cross rifle and the Q Fix.

I can't like the Q stuff. Their owner is a loudmouth dick and a stalker. He started Advanced Armament and I think used to work for Sig too. His products might be good, but his online persona of being rude constantly trashing all of his competitors gets really old. It gets him a lot of followers though, so it must be working.

Offline marktucker

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 04:53:20 PM »
I don't know anything about the Q owner and I'm not really interested in the Q Fix. The Sig Sauer is $1,520 cheaper and I am curious if it's actually $1,520 less rifle. You can almost get two Sig CROSS for the price of one Fix. It could be because it is that much better or it could be because they are just a small shop and can't mass produce them economically.

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• Team GunLink
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2020, 11:05:27 PM »
Today was Industry Day at the Range and I am excited to say that were actually some new products! To me, it still seems like exploration into the wildcat calibers is a growing trend, but there seems to be some new pistols coming out to go with them. Ruger and Diamondback both are entering the 5.7x28mm market.

Ruger introduced the Ruger-57: a 1911 style pistol. I found that it fit my smaller hand well and I found it to be accurate. Recoil was noticeable, but it was not snappy and I had no issues staying on target. The slide was easy to manipulate and the trigger pull was smooth. Overall, I liked this pistol - especially with a MSRP about $800.

Diamondback introduced the DBX57: an AR-style pistol. This was a lot lighter than I expected it to be. The model on the bench had a folding pistol brace and I shot it with the brace fully extended. I was on target and I really liked the trigger. I liked the short reset and the ease of the trigger pull. I don’t have information on when it will be available or an MSRP as of yet, but as I soon as I get this info I will update this post.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 11:46:41 AM by GL_SHOT »

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• Team GunLink
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2020, 11:49:19 PM »
Walther came out with a .380 CCP M2 and a Q4 steel frame pistol in 9mm.  The CCP was one of the easiest to rack and handle .380s I have ever shot. I was seriously surprised. I have always liked the grip on the Walthers because it always fits my hand and I don’t hAve to constantly readjust after each shot. I had no issue with hitting the target, but I did the find trigger pull to be a bit on the long side and the reset was long as well. with a MSRP of ~$470, you can buy a .380 that you won’t hate to shoot.

The Q4 was like a step into the every day shooter world from their more competitive shooter the Q5. Like with everything Walther, I found the pistol to handle well. I was on target, and would have enjoyed shooting it more if time permitted it. The steel frame adds a bit to the price, but if you’re looking for a high performance concealed carry weapon, this should fit your needs. It will be available for purchase with or without the optics and suggested MSRP will start near $1400.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 11:46:56 AM by GL_SHOT »

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• Team GunLink
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2020, 12:00:03 AM »
A common problem that I have with full-sized pistols is that they are too big for my hands and I frequently end up with too much trigger finger on the trigger. For me, this means I usually end up shooting high and to the right. A lot of after market triggers look to make the action smoother and decreasing the trigger pull. With one exception, I have never had an issue with the actual action of the trigger.

Pressure Break is making a trigger, currently available for Glock models and soon to be available for the AR platform, that looks at trigger pull differently. Using two parallel grooves for sensory feedback, it’s nearly impossible to allow myself to use more trigger finger on a full sized pistol. You feel the grooves and know instantly where your finger is on the trigger and how much finger is on the trigger. In fact, I was able to notice that my shot groups became much tighter in just half a magazine.

It’s always satisfying to hit the target and notice instant improvement. Especially if you’re an over thinker like I am.  with an MSRP of about $60, this is a cost effective way to improve your shooting.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 11:50:10 AM by GL_SHOT »

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• Team GunLink
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2020, 12:13:45 AM »
Last year, Mossberg re-entered the pistol market with a subcompact 9mm. While it seemed like the market was saturated, they introduced a pistol with a unique takedown system (perfect for idiots like me) and a grip texture that is slightly more aggressive than most other manufacturers (also perfect for sweaty people like me). Many women have issues with subcompact pistols, but I had zero issue with slide manipulation and recoil on this pistol.

This year, they introduced the MC2c, a compact 9mm that is slightly larger than MC1sc without being wider. Still using proprietary magazines, they were able to increase size and capacity without adding to the width. This is perfect because it still fits my hand perfectly, very little recoil and no issue with the slide. It keeps the super easy takedown mechanism and the textured grip. It shots well and handles well. I really like this pistol.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 01:30:17 AM by LivingDeadGirl »

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• Team GunLink
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2020, 12:42:36 AM »
Springfield has a few new items this year: Some new variants of the Saint such as the Saint Edge, a new XDM Elite and the Hellcat which was released last year.

I liked the XDM Elite, but it was a bit too big for me. It shot well and accurately and I liked the trigger. It was smooth with an easy reset. The slide was easy for me to manipulate and it wasn’t overly heavy.

I’ve seen the Hellcat in my local gun store, but I haven’t shot it until today. It’s snappier than I expected and it actually hurt my hands to shoot. Despite the recoil, it was an accurate pistol and easy to load and manipulate the slide. This would fall into the .380 pistol category for me - I can easily conceal it, I know I can shoot it, but only shoot it enough to ensure it works when necessary.

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• Team GunLink
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2020, 12:58:40 AM »
Another trend I have noticed in recent years is the increase in air powered weapons. One of the more “fun” products we handled today was an air rifle - the AirJavelin by Umarex. A air rifle that shoots arrows. Sounds a little like a crossbow but it isn’t. It looks like an air rifle up until the arrow is loaded. The AirJavelin uses a CO2 cartridge that installs just a bit forward of the trigger. Instead of loading pellets, a specialty arrow slides over the barrel. Pull the bolt back to charge, aim and fire. I watched multiple people shoot the AirJavelin before I tried it and everyone walked away with a smile saying they liked it. With a MSRP of $170, this may be an easy addition to a survival kit and to have for fun.

If you’re thinking of hunting something than a squirrel, they also make the AirSaber. Similar to the AirJavelin but the rifle is a precharged pneumatic system. It’s estimated that you can get about 20 shots per charge and you will experience some drop in each shot after the first 5 shots, but this one has noticeably more power behind it (300 FPS vs 450 FPS). The rep on site said you can actually hunt deer with the AirSaber, however, it is a rifle not a bow, but it’s a lot easier to use and haul around than a bow.  This one will have MSRP closer to $370 and will be a nice addition to anyone’s hunting/survival tools.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 01:34:16 AM by LivingDeadGirl »

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• Team GunLink
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2020, 09:54:14 AM »
First day of SHOT is over and Day #2 is starting soon.  What products or companies are you interested to hear more about?  Today is the Pop-Up Preview where we can some newer companies and companies that have not been to the show before. We look forward to meeting some new faces.

Offline GL_SHOT

• GunLink SHOT Coverage
  • Global Moderator
  • GunLink SHOT Coverage
    • GunLink Forums
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2020, 05:24:21 PM »
The drop-in trigger from https://pressure-break.com is an interesting idea. It doesn't smooth or lighten the trigger or even drastically change the geometry of it. Honestly, it doesn't really do a whole lot of anything to the trigger other than provide tactile feedback on where your finger is indexed on the actual trigger.

As can be seen on the trusty old pistol correction targets, most bad pistol shots are usually operator error, frequently due to having an inconsistent or wrong firing grip.

Once you use the Pressure Break gadget and get a feel for where your fingers *should* be when you make good shots, you should develop some "muscle memory" type habits of where to place your finger.

I don't know about putting this on carry guns, but using it in training could help to develop those good habits that ought to translate to better shooting with most pistols.

A common problem that I have with full-sized pistols is that they are too big for my hands and I frequently end up with too much trigger finger on the trigger. For me, this means I usually end up shooting high and to the right. A lot of after market triggers look to make the action smoother and decreasing the trigger pull. With one exception, I have never had an issue with the actual action of the trigger.

Pressure Break is making a trigger, currently available for Glock models and soon to be available for the AR platform, that looks at trigger pull differently. Using two parallel grooves for sensory feedback, it’s nearly impossible to allow myself to use more trigger finger on a full sized pistol. You feel the grooves and know instantly where your finger is on the trigger and how much finger is on the trigger. In fact, I was able to notice that my shot groups became much tighter in just half a magazine.

It’s always satisfying to hit the target and notice instant improvement. Especially if you’re an over thinker like I am.  with an MSRP of about $60, this is a cost effective way to improve your shooting.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 06:59:32 PM by GL_SHOT »

Offline GL_SHOT

• GunLink SHOT Coverage
  • Global Moderator
  • GunLink SHOT Coverage
    • GunLink Forums
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2020, 05:59:15 PM »
At range day, we got to visit with Arsenal (https://www.arsenalinc.com) and check out their new AK20 rifles, including shooting their suppressed short barreled variant.  Currently chambered in the standard fare of AK rifles, 7.62x39, the AK-20 is likely to be offered in more calibers in the future.

The first couple hundred made, as were the ones we saw at Range Day, are Custom Shop versions - comprised of all machined parts with aluminum handguards. Later production models will eventually contain some cast parts and a choice of stamped or milled receivers with a slightly lower price tag than the $1999-2650 cost of the Custom Shop models.

The rifle variants (with 16" barrels" feature AR15 receiver extension adapters to allow for attaching your favorite flavor of collapsible stocks. The pistol versions (with 10.5" and 8" barrels) feature a rear trunnion with a section of picatinny rail to which one can attach various styles of thusly equipped braces (and stocks, in the case of SBR builders) - such as the new SB Tactical TF1913 triangle folder we saw at the show (more on that later).

The AK-20 sports a free-floating barrel inside a handguard that features a top picatinny rail that is cantilevered back over the dust cover, allowing for use of optics while not interfering with stripping the rifle. The free-floated barrel and the ability to use standard optics without goofy mounts (especially ones mounted on a sloppy dust cover) made the sample AK20 that we shot a nice shooter - and quiet with the silencer on it.

On the topic of silencers, the AK20 also features an adjustable gas block to control the amount of gas delivered to the piston based on whether you are shooting suppressed or unsuppressed. While it is finger adjustable, the adjustment knob is flat with a hole through it to allow for adjusting it with a wrench, screwdriver, or bullet tip.

In addition to the standard and suppressed positions, the gas block also has a shut-off position that essentially turns the rifle into a single shot/bolt action firearm for even quieter shooting. The shooter in front of us got chastised by the RSO for shooting without his ear pro, so I only briefly removed mine and, in this configuration (suppressed, single shot with no action noise), the AK20 was very quiet. With the custom fit earplugs that Decibullz hooked us up with for range day, I might as well have been shooting an airgun.

Offline GL_SHOT

• GunLink SHOT Coverage
  • Global Moderator
  • GunLink SHOT Coverage
    • GunLink Forums
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2020, 06:39:56 PM »
The 2020 revamp of Colt's famous .357 Python revolver, first produced in 1955 and shelved a decade and a half ago, has generated a good bit of buzz leading up to SHOT Show 2020. Would it live up to its eponymous forebears? Can a mass-produced revolver be as good as a hand-fitted one? Why isn't it blued!?

The shop I work with has a number of "revolver guys" that come in on a semi-regular basis, sniffing around for traded-in hidden gems of fine vintage revolvers. Of that class, I am not, although I have had opportunity to handle and drop the hammer of several classic Colt "snake guns."

Not being an aficionado, I can't necessarily give a deep dive into how it matches up with the old Pythons, but from our time with it at the live-fire range and on the SHOT Show floor, I can say that it's pretty damn good!

The hefty, hand-filling revolver put a smile on my face from the moment I picked it up from the shooting bench. The feel, looks, and action of the Python have definitely carried over from the classic model. Despite that, modern materials and manufacturing tech definitely show their faces in the 2020 Python. The new model has about a dozen fewer parts than the original, the frame is beefier in the critical stress points, and the sights are adjustable and user replaceable.

And it shoots. Boy does it shoot! The heft of the Python keeps it on target under recoil from the .357 Magnum rounds, the sights are easy to pick up, and the trigger is just fantastic. Although I tried out a little bit of single-action firing, I mostly just rattled off a few cylinders with the sweet, smooth double action scoring exact hit after hit, which honestly surprised me a bit for a rushed session with a nearly 3 lb handgun with a not-short double action trigger.

While the brief stint with the new Python didn't necessarily lend itself to real precision shooting, I'm confident that this thing can handle that task just fine with its adjustable target sights, smooth trigger, and recessed target crown.

Perhaps the best part for prospective buyers longing to add a Python to their collection is the price. The stainless model (the only finish currently available) will retail around $1500 - a price tag hundreds, if not thousands, less than some of the vintage models on Gun Broker right now.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 07:00:03 PM by GL_SHOT »

Offline GL_SHOT

• GunLink SHOT Coverage
  • Global Moderator
  • GunLink SHOT Coverage
    • GunLink Forums
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2020, 12:10:12 PM »
Another great surprise at SHOT Show Range Day was the Diamondback DBX - a brand new 5.7x28 pistol.

With an AR-style appearance and the ability to drop in your favorite AR components such as grips and fire control groups, the DBX is a locked-breech dual-piston operated gem with a picatinny rail on the rear end allowing the user to add their favorite flavor of compatible pistol brace (or stock for those who SBR the new firearm).

Nice and light at just 3 lb without the brace, the 8" barreled DBX accepts standard FN FiveseveN magazines (with a possible Ruger 57 compatible version in the pipeline). It was smooth and fun to shoot and as accurate as we could wring it out for during our brief time with it at Range Day.

The DBX doesn't ship with any sights, but it features a full length pic rail on top so you can add your favorite sights or optics. It does, however, ship with a side-folding brace and a Magpul Handstop kit to get a good grip on the M-LOK compatible handguard, keep your fingers out from in front of the muzzle, or to push up against a barricade.

The reciprocating charging handle can be swapped to the left or right side. With an ambi selector installed, the DBX is left- or right-handed shooter friendly save for the right side ejection and magazine release.

Along with a few other new offerings at SHOT Show this year, the DBX is an exciting new delve into 5.7 - a caliber that until recently had a somewhat high bar for entry. Historically, I haven't had much interest in 5.7x28 other than a passing interest as a novelty. Hopefully these new offerings will lower the bar for entry and help the platform become more mainstream - perhaps prompting more consumer-friendly competition from firearm and ammunition manufacturers.

MSRP should be around $1300 when the DBX starts shipping this spring.

Offline GL_SHOT

• GunLink SHOT Coverage
  • Global Moderator
  • GunLink SHOT Coverage
    • GunLink Forums
Recover Tactical 20/20 Glock Stabilizer
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2020, 12:31:46 PM »
When we stopped by the Recover Tactical Booth, they had a pretty nice looking new stabilizing brace system for Glock pistols: the Recover Tactical 20/20 Stabilizer Kit.

The 20/20 is in the same vein as other Glock chassis systems like the Flux Defense and Micro RONI STAB products, but appears more streamlined and light weight. Another big benefit it has going for it is the price. Preorders for the kit range from $99 to $150 depending on options, making significantly less expensive than some of the other options.

The 20/20 adds additional attachment points for lights, lasers and other doohickeys along with the a sling attachment point and folding arm brace, which can help to significantly improve the accuracy of handguns.

The Recover Tactical 20/20 is expected to be shipping in late winter or early spring of this year, possibly by the end of February.

Offline DieselDude

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2020, 10:16:11 AM »
Can you shoot 20/20 folded? It looks like the brace folds the wrong way.