!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: New guy entering :: Yuri Sivitski - Ask Me Anything  (Read 25047 times)

Offline AmmoNight

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
Re: New guy entering :: Yuri Sivitski - Ask Me Anything
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2016, 10:11:27 AM »
I cannot name a favorite book – there are too many of them. During different periods of life, I have had different favorite books.  A lot of favorite authors – Mikhail Bulgakov, Vladimir Nabokov, Strugatski Boris and Arkadiy, to name a few. I am a huge fan of Stephen King; it was a very interesting experience to read his books in English after I read all of them translated to Russian - mostly poorly translated.
 There was a lot of banned books before perestroika started.  it would be a huge list of books and authors, so I'm not doing it here.
And, you misunderstood my statement about libraries: what I said, I COULD NOT visit libraries. There wasn't such a thing as an accessible environment in the Soviet Union. Nowadays the situation is getting better, but very slowly.  and when I was a kid, there were no wheelchair ramps even at medical clinics, forget the libraries. I was to the library two or three times in my childhood, and my father had to carry me in his arms up those stairs with dozens of steps. Hard to imagine? So, my access to literature was really limited. I read everything I could put my hands on. My mother  was visiting the library from time to time  getting me books – but, obviously, I did not have a choice, and was glad to read anything  she brought me. Sometimes it was really boring :)

GunLink Discussion Forums

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2016, 10:11:27 AM »

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• GunLink Member
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2016, 08:48:02 PM »
can't say I have read anything by those authors. I have read quite a bit of Stephen King. I mostly prefer his older work, when he still lived in New England. I stopped reading his newer works after I read parts of his essay that was in response to the Newtown shooting. I'm a little torn about seeing the new "It" movie coming out in the near future. It was one of those books that I stayed up way too late as a teen reading. same with Salem's Lot.

There are banned books in the states, and some school districts ban a few others. Our focus my junior year in high school was "banned" books. We had to read "A Brave New World", "Lord of the Flies" and a few others that weren't very memorable.

did you have to get vaccines when you came to the states?

Offline AmmoNight

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2016, 11:01:05 AM »
Sorry for the delayed response – for some reason I did not receive a notification about the post in the forum. I totally agree with you about the old Stephen King books – I have always preferred those to most of his contemporary ones. And I purposely have not read his essays on guns, etc. I just didn't want to mix in my head his political views with my deep respect for him as a writer.
 I did not have to get vaccines here in the states because I had full physical exam back in Belarus before applying for visa –  I got confirmation that I had been vaccinated earlier, and  they just gave me one additional shot, which was missing.

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• GunLink Member
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2016, 12:31:51 AM »
I didnt receive a notification either. Odd. I'm asking the web guy to look into it.

I was asking about the vaccines since where I am located, we have had a couple of measles cases that were recent refugees that didn't have to get vaccines and they didn't appear sick when they entered the country. Fortunately, the hospital was on top of everything and there was no spread, so two isolated cases within a family.

Was seeing a doctor easier in Belarus than it is here?

I hope you had a great Fourth of July.

Offline AmmoNight

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2016, 11:48:17 AM »
 Still, no notifications.
About vaccination: fortunately, it was very thorough and strictly encouraged (if not to say "enforced") in the Soviet Union. And the clinic where I got my physical exam before applying for a visa, wasn't just a regular one – it was a commercial clinic, which got mandatory authorization from American Consulate. Results from other medical institutions were not accepted by the embassy for this matter.
 My 4th of July was a little bit boring this year, unfortunately :( I didn't feel really good, so, the day was kind of spoiled. We went to see fireworks on the 2nd, though.

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• GunLink Member
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2016, 11:33:45 PM »
Well, did you know that the Declaration of Independence was actually voted on and passed the Second Continental Congress on July 2nd, 1776? So you actually celebrated on the day that John Adams thought would be the day remembered.

Still trying to figure out of the notifications, plus I had a really busy week.

I wonder when they stopped asking for vaccine information for immigrants. Something i'll remember to look up some day.

I hope you're staying safe and away protests in Cleveland. 

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2016, 12:24:50 PM »
Sorry for the delayed response – for some reason I did not receive a notification about the post in the forum.

I didnt receive a notification either. Odd. I'm asking the web guy to look into it.

We are trying to pinpoint what the email notification issue is.  It looks like some emails are working and some are not - topic reply notifications are apparently among the latter.

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2016, 09:52:52 PM »
Sorry for the delayed response – for some reason I did not receive a notification about the post in the forum.

We are trying to pinpoint what the email notification issue is.  It looks like some emails are working and some are not - topic reply notifications are apparently among the latter.

Email issues appear to have been resolved, finally.

Offline AmmoNight

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2019, 06:03:31 PM »
Hey there,

Just stopped by to say "hi" to all of you, guys. Thank you for your support and understanding.

Offline TheHarleyB

• GunLink Member
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2019, 06:04:07 PM »
Hey there,

Just stopped by to say "hi" to all of you, guys. Thank you for your support and understanding.

👋 Hey

This was from before I joined so I hadn't seen this. Did you ever get your shooting chair?

Offline AmmoNight

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2019, 06:11:19 PM »
Hey there. It's not a shooting chair, to be accurate, but a special rig, which connects to the chair. Yes, I finally got it, put some serious efforts to get it done. Unfortunately, last year was really hard, so I did not have a chance to use it, yet. Hopefully, this summer will be better.

Offline masfonos

« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2019, 03:54:42 PM »
Welcome back, Yuri. Glad to hear that you got your rig but it's too bad that you're having issues and haven't got to use it yet. Be sure to post a range report here and share lots of pics.

What will you be shooting and when do you think you'll get a chance to try it out?

Offline AmmoNight

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2019, 10:18:10 AM »
Paper :) probably, not sooner than May or June.

Offline masfonos

« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2019, 03:57:51 PM »
Paper :) probably, not sooner than May or June.

I figured you would be shooting AT some sort of targets, I meant what kind of guns!  ;D

I'm looking forward to you getting to enjoy shooting with some of the barriers removed. It's really an enjoyable pass time and a valuable skill to hone.

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• GunLink Member
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2019, 09:42:42 AM »
Welcome back Yuri!  I’m very glad to hear you got the rig set up.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk