!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: Mossberg Shockwave to full-length and back?  (Read 3127 times)

Offline masfonos

Mossberg Shockwave to full-length and back?
« on: May 18, 2018, 02:32:16 PM »
I've asked a bunch of people all with various answers and good reasons on both sides of the argument.

Can you start off with a Shockwave, turn it into a full length shotgun, and then go back to the original shockwave length as long as you don't have a <18" barrel on it at the same time as a stock?  I know you can do pistol->rifle->pistol without issue (per T/C case and ATF rule). It seems like the same would hold true for the shockwave but ATF sometimes plays stupid games with wording and the Shockwave isn't a pistol, it's a "firearm".

GunLink Discussion Forums

Mossberg Shockwave to full-length and back?
« on: May 18, 2018, 02:32:16 PM »

Offline Panther97

• GunLink Member
Re: Mossberg Shockwave to full-length and back?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 06:04:54 PM »
Should be ok as long as you don't have both on it at the same time. I don't see why it would be any different than an AR pistol receiver or one of those glock kits.

Offline DieselDude

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 09:49:23 AM »
Go for it. They sell PGO shotguns that come with a stock, in the box for you to put on it. A PGO is classified the same as a shockwave or tac14 and you can go back and forth between them, if you put a 18 inch bbl on it you can do the same with the the shockwave/tac14. The only time you'd have problems is if you keep the 14 inch bbl and add a stock without filing for class 3 stamp.

Offline benchrest308

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 01:15:14 PM »
Given the potential consequences, I wouldn't do it! Only way/reason they can sell the shockwave is because they built it on a frame that has never had a stock attached to it. Once you attach a stock you can't make a shockwave out of it.

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 06:32:02 PM »
This is what Mossberg had to say when we posed the question to them:

I’ll add our product service phone number to the end (offices are closed now until tomorrow)

Assuming all other things are equal: meaning you live in a state that can legally sell the Shockwave, that the one purchasing the Shockwave is a resident of the same state as the location of the FFL whom transfers it to them..and they are over 21 yrs (the latter 2 requirements are Federal requirements for purchasing any  “pistol grip” firearm), then your short answer is yes you can go back and forth IN THE WAY YOU DESCRIBE/propose.

You are facing 2 factors that you are responsible for:

1. Keeping a pistol grip configuration over 26”.
If a pistol grip firearm goes below 26” overall, then you have made a Class 3/NFA “AOW”. 
It is the critical shape of the “birds head” Shockwave grip —being straighter and less curved—that puts the Shockwave over 26” overall when a 14” barrel is utilized
I will point out here that our standard cruiser pistol grip in combination with a 14” does NOT meet 26” criteria.

A 14” barrel ALWAYS needs the Shockwave grip.

YOU ARE ALSO RESPONSIBLE FOR:

2. Keeping the shouldered stock off the receiver when the barrel is under 18”. (i.e 14”)
To have a shouldered stock means it’s a “shotgun” and to have a shotgun with a barrel under  18” means you’ve made a Class 3/NFA SBS.

Shouldered stock ALWAYS needs our 18.5” barrel at minimum

So...this means be VERY VERY VERY aware of the in between state of this gun as it transforms. Be wary of what you must change first/second (barrel or stock) so that you are never making an NFA gun.

Regards,

Offline marktucker

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 03:32:55 PM »
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/ruling/2011-4-pistols-configured-rifles-rifles-configured-pistols/download

I can turn my AR pistol into a rifle and then go back to a pistol. I guess the same would be true for the shotgun?

Offline masfonos

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 04:38:43 PM »
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/ruling/2011-4-pistols-configured-rifles-rifles-configured-pistols/download

I can turn my AR pistol into a rifle and then go back to a pistol. I guess the same would be true for the shotgun?

That's the same thought process I had, but I hate just guessing at ATF rules and I don't want to be a test case for them saying that it's NOT the same.  Hooray for "shall not be infringed."  :-\

Offline TheHarleyB

• GunLink Member
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 04:17:26 PM »
Hooray for "shall not be infringed."  :-\

Oh, is that still a thing? I thought they gave up on that.