!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: Mission First Tactical Review: Minimalist Stock, React VFG, Trigger Guard, Mag  (Read 3517 times)

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
Review of Mission First Tactical MFT Minimalist Stock, React Vertical Foregrip, Enhanced Trigger Guard, and 10-round polymer magazine - from August 2017 Tac Pack subscription box review.

MFT Minimalist Stock

We "temporarily" swapped the MFT Minimalist Stock onto the GunLink Defensive Fighting Rifle (GDFR), which was otherwise wearing the Magpul MOE stock that we just picked up from a PSA in July.

The stock that they shipped us was built for a Mil-Spec tube which, as luck would have it, the GDFR happens to have - kind of a crapshoot when it comes to the confusing array of receiver extensions among the GL AR stable.  As such, slipping off the MOE and attaching the MFT was quick and painless.  The 5.8 oz stock shaves nearly 3 oz off the weight of the MOE that we had on it; I'm not sure if it is actually perceptible or if it is just in my head because it looks smaller and lighter... but it feels noticeably lighter. 

The GDFR's Blue Force Gear Vickers Combat Applications Sling also went right on with no issues despite losing a sling slot, since it wasn't the sling slot that we use anyway.  What it loses in the slot, however, it makes up by gaining a QD mount point directly in front of the adjustment lever.

The stock is plenty comfortable with a rubber pad on the end and it feels like a good, clean, lightweight, no BS stock.  The one slight downside of it is that the adjustment lever is small and tucked in against the buffer tube, requiring slightly finer motor skills than what is needed to grab a handful of big, fat, traditional adjustment levers on collapsible stocks.

In the original Tac-Pack review thread, we mentioned that we "temporarily" put the Minimalist stock on the GDFR. Months later, the stock is still there. One thing that I was somewhat worried about was the "hook" of the stock catching on things and snagging. So far, this hasn't been an issue when shooting the rifle, getting it in or out of cases and safes, carrying it or moving it around. Without any compelling reason to take it off, and as a combination of laziness and not wanting to gain back the ounces, the minimalist has stayed on.

MFT React VFG

Next up on the "put it directly on my rifle immediately out of the TacPack box" list is MFT's React Vertical Foregrip

Not only is the React much shorter than the too-long VFG that it replaced, it is significantly lighter.  Between this and the stock, the GDFR is definitely perceptibly lighter.  Further, the round-tube-with-screw-in-plug that it replaced was too narrow and too much of a pain to be useful, so we tend to keep stamps in the K2+ grip.  The new React VFG is not only short enough to not get in the way, it is also more comfortable, elongated to accommodate useful things inside of it, and includes a battery sled to keep batteries organized for the Sparc AR (AAA) and Elzetta Bravo (CR123) that the GDFR wears.

Not that I plan to use the rifle as a club, but the React also feels like it will be more secure on the rail since it mounts using a cross pin that fully engages the Picatinny slot rather than just a boss that screws up from the bottom.  If I remember correctly, the latter is why people were losing fingers in the KSG fiasco.

MFT Enhanced Trigger Guard

The piece of kit from the September box that I didn't end up using right away is the Enhanced Trigger Guard.  There is not much to say about it, and there is not any thing wrong with it - it is just that we very recently installed the Magpul version of this part in July when we put the MOE stock on this rifle. 

The benefit here is that this type of trigger guard bows out (downward) to make the opening where the trigger is larger.  This allows the shooter to get their finger - particularly fingers wearing gloves - into the opening and onto the trigger faster and more reliably.  Plus it looks cool. 

Of course, almost all ARs without a machined trigger guard have a comparable feature.  PRO-TIP:  in case you hadn't noticed, the back of your trigger guard is pinned in and the front has a detent on a spring... so you can depress the detent plunger with the tip of a cartridge and swing the trigger guard out of the way.  Obviously, however, at this point you no longer have a trigger guard in place, so be careful when shooting in your mittens.

MFT 10 round polymer magazine

Rounding out the September box was a 10-round polymer magazine from MFT.  This is another one that we won't get a tremendous amount of use out of for a couple of reasons.  First is that we do not do a lot of shooting from a bench rest or prone position wherein a 30-round mag would get in the way.  Second is that, once again... we just bought something similar!

Well, we didn't "just" buy them, but not too awfully long ago, perceptive Mr.s GunLink bought me a little stack of the 10 round Magpul P-Mags that I had my eye on. 

When we do need a 10 rounder, however, I think I will probably reach for this MFT mag, as I find it superior to the P-Mag in a couple of areas. 

The MFT mag has a flared floor plate that makes it much easier to seat and remove if it decides not to drop free (FYI, it drops free just fine under normal circumstances so far).  I also like the dual tabs in the floorplate for tool-less takedown, the placement of the paint-pen matrix for marking the magazines.  The anti-tilt follower seems to be every bit as anti-tilt as the any other I have poked around at.

GunLink Discussion Forums