!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: 100 guilty men vs.  (Read 4945 times)

Offline small

100 guilty men vs.
« on: June 09, 2011, 01:45:53 PM »
You have to decide whether a man that is known without a doubt to be innocent is sent to jail or not. If you say send him to jail then 100 absolutely know guilty men will stay in jail. If you let the Innocent man go free then you most also let those 100 know men go free. What do you do? This is kind of a society good vs. Individual good thing. Though society is made up of individuals. I don't think offenses should matter, yet if you want the Innocent man could be imprisoned for up to life potentially put to death, the "100" are of all type; rapist, murderers, drug-slingers, and evil wall street types all serving from years to life to execution also.

Anyway just thought it was an interesting question and thought I'd see what you all thought.   

GunLink Discussion Forums

100 guilty men vs.
« on: June 09, 2011, 01:45:53 PM »

Offline masfonos

Re: 100 guilty men vs.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 09:06:44 AM »
in·al·ien·a·ble/inˈālēənəbəl/
Adjective: Unable to be taken away from or given away by the possessor
among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

I would never knowingly take away a free, innocent man's liberty.

Sounds like a philosophy 101 homework assignment  ;D

Offline Uncle Buck

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 02:28:57 PM »
I agree with Masfonos.  Unfortunately it does happen (Both ways).

My thoughts are that prisons should be for punishment, not rehabilitation, after the 2nd offense.

Offline masfonos

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 11:17:39 AM »
You give them two strikes, eh?  I'm not opposed to more jailers following Sheriff Joe's blueprints.

Offline Uncle Buck

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 11:27:38 AM »
I wish most jailers DID follow Sheriff Joes example.  Although it is not used as punishment, it is used to control cost and ensure the inmates are not so comfortable they want to come back.

Offline masfonos

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 11:46:22 AM »
I was leaving the house as the story came on this morning, so I didn't catch it all but they were talking about a guy who robbed a bank/store and demanded something like $3.  Something about he wanted to go to jail for the free healthcare, meals, etc.

Some pink jumpsuits and hard labor might make those clowns think twice.

Offline Uncle Buck

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 11:49:37 AM »
My Step-Dads son goes to jail regularly to get his health care.  Last time, six months ago, he was sentenced to two years.  He said he needed his teeth fixed.

He needs his head fixed.  I think he was dropped on his head, several times, when he was a kid.  He is nothing but a leech on society.

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 12:31:57 PM »
I would never knowingly take away a free, innocent man's liberty.

:)

Offline small

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 11:26:28 PM »
I guess being in Illinois where all to frequently its been shown that people have been falsely convict of crimes some have been sentence to death and even those that have been executed found later to be innocent. Former Governor the one on Jail not the one on trial commuted all death sentences here in Illinois because of all the issues. Here, at least Chicago, they have no issue putting anyone behind bars to clear their cases.

I think it was here someone posted a youtube about the 5th amendment. Great video. The professor was a professor of a friend of a friend, Former cop, tuned Lawyer, turned teacher himself. He said the Prof was right on. The 5th amendment is not a blank to give comfort to the guilty but a shield to protect the innocent from wrongful prosecution. I should know this (or at least look it up) but aren't 7 of the first 10 amendments have to do with keeping us safe from the Police. Like a lawyer said "a fish was never caught that didn't open it mouth." NEVER talk to the police.

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 11:56:42 PM »
"a fish was never caught that didn't open it mouth."

I like it!

Offline Uncle Buck

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 03:47:03 PM »
I keep coming back to this question.

I guess I could look at it the other way around and see if it would make any difference (100 innocent men vs. one guilty man)...

I would hate to be the one to make the mistake, but I guess I would have to let a guilty man walk, if we could not prove he was guilty.  (Which is another dilemma, Knowing someone is guilty and proving it are two different things.)