!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: great outdoors and insects  (Read 3359 times)

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• Team GunLink
  • GunLink Member
great outdoors and insects
« on: June 29, 2016, 06:20:27 PM »
I am one of those people that mosquitoes and other biting insects flock around. I'm constantly covered in bug bites all summer and concern of vector-borne diseases has been increasing in recent years.
Some numbers for you:
  • 2000 per year for West Nile
  • more than 30,000 for Lyme Disease
  • 2000 for Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever
  • 1800 for anaplasmosis
  • a dengue fever outbreak in Texas in 2005 (less than 100) and one on Puerto Rico in 2010 (more than 25,000)
  • over 2000 people in 2011 were diagnosed with malaria and there are suitable vectors on the continent
  • the bacteria responsible for plague is endemic west of the Rocky's (only a few cases per year in the States)

and now we see the emergence of Zika Virus, a newly discovered Bourbon virus (KS, 1 case and 1 death), and the new Heartland Virus (MO, 8 cases an 1 death, and strangely all were men over 50 years of age).

What do you use to protect yourself from insects? Do you think one brand of bug spray is better than others?

GunLink Discussion Forums

great outdoors and insects
« on: June 29, 2016, 06:20:27 PM »

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• Team GunLink
  • GunLink Member
Re: great outdoors and insects
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 04:56:16 PM »
Reviving this topic after the SO decided to take me spring squirrel hunting over the weekend. We didn't find any squirrels, but we found at least 30 ticks between the two of us. I used some bug spray (Cutter) but it didn't seem to have any effect. in the products defense, it was hot and we were both fairly sweaty. fairly certain most of the attackers were Lone Star Ticks at various stages of life.

What do you do for protection when in the woods? Do you find a certain brand of repellant works better than others or maybe a specific percentage of DEET? Has anyone tried the insect repellent clothing or the fabric treatments? Most of the examples I saw in Bass Pro used permethrin, which in case you don't know, is found in most flea and tick topical treatments for pets.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 05:28:15 PM by LivingDeadGirl »