!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: NM Legislation Would Require Background Checks On All Firearm Sales  (Read 1983 times)

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• Team GunLink
  • GunLink Member
https://www.abqjournal.com/1274868/senate-to-consider-gun-backgroundcheck-bill.html

A bill just passed committee (on party lines) that would require a background check on any firearms sale within the state.  This includes sales between family members, but exempts gifts and loans....as well as law enforcement officers from the requirement.

I believe bills like this do nothing to keep the guns out of the hands of criminals, because criminals steal them most of the time. This bill would require the two parties to go to a FFL and pay for a background check and transfer. It seems like the only people who are going to be affected by this bill are people looking to legally buy cheaper, used weapons and those who don’t live near a FFL store, like farmers.

I don’t understand why LEO is specifically exempt.  Sure, they have to carry while on the job, but they are still normal citizens and not above the laws. Just like the legislators who write the laws aren’t above the laws.

I also don’t understand how gifting works.  When filling out the form, doesn’t it specifically ask if you are buying this firearm for yourself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GunLink Discussion Forums