!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: Safety in Rural Environments  (Read 2597 times)

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
Safety in Rural Environments
« on: September 30, 2012, 10:10:07 PM »
by Mike Riter

I've talked to numerous friends, coworkers, students, family, and others about their perception of security in rural environments. The majority assume that living outside of heavily urban or suburban areas decreases the likelihood of their encountering a situation in which they would have to defend themselves or their loved ones from a lethal threat. I personally have found reason to believe quite the opposite. Let me share a couple of incidents that happened in my area that will hopefully cause you to rethink that position.
[...]
This article is not meant to instill paranoia in those who live in rural settings. Country living is some of the best on planet Earth. But this article is meant to dispel the myth that living outside of urban areas means you don't need to think about defending yourself and/or protecting your property. Maintain stringent personal and property security measures, and get some good training to become more effective at defending yourself.
Read entire article HERE

GunLink Discussion Forums

« on: September 30, 2012, 10:10:07 PM »

Offline jonbouy00

Re: Safety in Rural Environments
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 09:28:12 PM »
All good advice. Having the pleasure of a revenge stalker, I can tell you the country provides special problems to be aware of. Usually no one else is around in the wee hours, so if there is any watching that needs to be done, you have to do it, regardless of when you go to work. Get a dog. The more watchdog and aggressive the better. Some sort of security camera. You can blow a lot of money here if you aren't careful, so investigate before you buy. If you don't get a good one however you will be plagued with false alarms and then won't pay attention to it. Get one you can view online from anywhere. Keep your cell phone ready at night. If anyone else is with you, make sure they have theirs as well. Good, night vision is expensive, but smart criminals and felons have them. They can spot your infrared cameras like they are a flood light in the dark. They are a big help and I would recommend at least Gen 2 night vision of some sort.
If you have the old type of garage door opener with the 10 or 12 switches, you need to upgrade to a rolling block security opener. I replaced just the control device, cost about 100.00 and now the door is secure. You can get a scanner that will scan/interrogate the old door openers and it will (very) quickly find the code and open the door.
So that is a few ideas to think on.
Jon
The phrase,"common sense" no longer means, common sense.