!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: Walmart: no more open carry, stops selling handguns and certain ammo  (Read 3157 times)

Offline TheHarleyB

• GunLink Member
My buddy at the gun store just showed me this.   They already stopped selling AR15s and mostly stopped selling handguns. Now no more handguns at all, no handgun ammo or "short barreled rifle ammo for large capacity clips or military style weapons". No more open carry. Plus CEO calls for new assault weapon ban.

A month after 22 people were fatally shot at a Walmart in El Paso, Texas, the retailer is requesting that customers refrain from openly carrying guns into its stores. The company also plans to stop selling some types of ammunition and end handgun sales in Alaska.

Since El Paso, Walmart has experienced multiple incidents in which individuals "attempting to make a statement" entered a store wielding a firearm, frightening workers and customers, Walmart CEO Doug McMillon said Tuesday in news release. He also relayed incidents in which "well-intentioned customers acting lawfully" inadvertently caused stores to be evacuated and local law enforcement to be called in to respond.

"These incidents are concerning and we would like to avoid them, so we are respectfully requesting that customers no longer openly carry firearms into our stores or Sam's Clubs in states where 'open carry' is permitted – unless they are authorized law enforcement officers," McMillon said.

Walmart is not changing its policy on customers carrying concealed guns with permits. 

"It's not a ban on our part," a Walmart spokesperson told CBS MoneyWatch. Certain state laws "prohibit us from doing a complete ban," even though Walmart stores are private property, the spokesperson added.

If someone opts to openly carry a gun into one of its stores, it's up to the store manager's discretion as to how to react. In states like Alaska or Wyoming, where open-carry is more common, the manager might pull the customer aside and ask him or her to leave the gun in their vehicle the next time, the spokesperson said. But the reaction might be stronger "if it's a situation where it's causing alarm," he said.

In addition, Walmart will discontinue sales of short-barrel rifle ammunition, such as .223 and 5.56 caliber rounds that can be used in large-capacity clips on military-stye weapons. The company will also end sales of handgun ammunition.

Walmart stopped selling assault-style weapons in 2015 and raised the minimum age to buy firearms and ammunition to 21, from 18, in 2018. It stopped selling handguns everywhere but in Alaska in 1993, and ended its sales of rifles like the AR-15 in 2015.

McMillon on Tuesday resisted calls from some quarters that the world's biggest retailer get out of the gun-selling business altogether, saying its remaining assortment of firearms will focus on hunting and sport shooting.

Walmart will continue selling long-barrel deer rifles and shotguns, much of the ammunition they require, as well as hunting and sporting accessories and apparel.

"We believe these actions will reduce our market share of ammunition from around 20% to a range of approximately 6 to 9%," he said.

The CEO, who described himself as a gun owner, also repeated his recent call on U.S. lawmakers and the White House to debate an assault weapons ban. "As we've seen before, these horrific events occur and then the spotlight fades. We should not allow that to happen. Congress and the administration should act," McMillon said. "The status quo is unacceptable."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/walmart-gun-policy-walmart-asks-customers-not-to-openly-carry-guns-in-stores/
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 04:04:12 PM by TheHarleyB »

GunLink Discussion Forums

Offline masfonos

Re: Walmart: no more open carry, stops selling handguns and certain ammo
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 04:25:34 PM »
Whatever you think of open carry, to be clear Joe OC and his openly carried pistol isn't what caused this but he's reaping the fallout. Some of the open carry activists, particularly Open Carry Texas have been making a nuisance of themselves for years, setting out to make a scene and get attention. From the article, it sounds like it was more of that. Congratulations.

Do I think what's shown in the photos below should be legal/allowed? Yes. Is this a predictable outcome of doing what's shown in the photos? Also yes. I don't visit Walmart much but any time I do around here it's pretty common to see half a dozen or more folks open carrying and I assume 70% of the rest are carrying too. I doubt the managers here would make a stink about it, their business is in enough trouble as it is.

Offline masfonos

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 10:04:43 AM »
This was pretty surprising news to wake up to all over social media this morning. Kroger has now jumped on board with asking customers to leave their guns at home, or at least not openly carry in their stores. I remember they proclaimed they would just defer to whatever the law was in that jurisdiction.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/kroger-walmart-openly-carry-firearms-storms

Kroger on Tuesday requested customers refrain from openly carrying firearms in its stores — hours after Walmart asked the same of its shoppers amid recent mass shootings across the U.S. and some public pressure from mostly left-leaning groups to restrict gun sales.

"Kroger is respectfully asking that customers no longer openly carry firearms into our stores, other than authorized law enforcement officers,” Jessica Adelman, group vice president of corporate affairs, said in a statement.

Same mealy mouthed BS of "respectfully asking" that Starbucks did years ago and and Walmart did yesterday.

Offline benchrest308

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 09:24:48 AM »
I guess I will just have to keep buying guns from my local gun store and get whatever ammo I don't load myself there too. It feels good to be this safe now. Thank you Walmart.

Buy somewhere that respects rights. Walmart is already much more restrictive than the laws. 21 to buy any gun, FBI check on everyone even if they have a concealed that should skip the check, and so on.

Offline masfonos

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 02:51:55 PM »
Someone was just telling me today that their friend was going start shopping at Meijer because the manager told him that they were fine with OC or CC in their store.  Not 10 minutes later he got a text from someone with an article saying that Meijer was now jumping on board the "no open carry" bandwagon.

I liked the response from Rural King though. Nothing about carrying, but they doubled down on continuing to sell guns and ammo.

Offline JamesCollins

• GunLink Member
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2019, 12:21:49 AM »
Just seeing more and more of this these days it seems

Offline TheHarleyB

• GunLink Member
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 09:41:26 AM »
A lot of good the Kroger ban did. We just had someone do some shooting in the store in our town last week.