!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: The Kel-Tec P11 Improvement Project  (Read 61994 times)

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
Re: The Kel-Tec P11 Improvement Project
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2014, 04:29:12 PM »
Thanks for the tip, herohog.  We've been looking into those on rumors that they fit. 

PS... Don't miss your Welcome Party here

GunLink Discussion Forums

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2014, 04:29:12 PM »

Offline herohog

• marketplace
  • LOCAL Sec/Treasurer & Webmaster
    • Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2014, 08:02:59 PM »
Here is the SCCY sight on my P-11. The sight is as received from SCCY. It is totally unmodified as is my P-11.

Speedy
AKA: Hero Hog, Dr. Speed, "The Brass Mangler" and "That fat, old, balding, Grey-bearded gimpy guy"
Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League (LOCAL) Sec/Treasurer, NWLA Area Rep, Webmaster

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2014, 11:52:01 AM »
The saga continues...

The P-11 came back with a new firing pin, spring and, for some reason, trigger bar.  It is back in operating condition but, despite the note included with it when I sent it back, it appears that they did not address the very low shooting.

I did try the SCCY rear sight in hopes that it would be taller and bring the POI up to the POA, but no luck.  Additionally, the set screw wanted to work loose ever 10 rounds or so.  LockTite would surely fix that issue but, since it didn't correct the low-shooting condition that is sort of moot. 

Back to the mothership it goes.  Hopefully this time it comes back shooting where it is supposed to.

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2014, 07:46:46 PM »
Got the pistol back from Florida. 

KT had it for a little over two months this time.  Since purchase in January, I think they may have had it at their place longer than we have had it at ours.  I think that there must have been some bit of mis-communication or something along the way.

The first trip back earlier this year was, I though, predominately to correct the low-shooting condition.  It so happened to coincide with a broken firing pin.  We could have easily fixed that here if they sent us the parts, but with two separate conditions, we went ahead and sent it back, along with a note detailing both conditions and requesting more info on available finish options better suited for EDC.

After roughly two months, it came back with the work order for a polished feed ramp, replaced internal parts (firing pin, spring and trigger bar) and test firing.  No communication regarding the finish and no addressing of the low shooting condition. 

After some additional communication with KT, back into their shop it went, again with a note regarding the low shooting condition and requesting more info on finish options.  A month and a half later, we get a call saying that the pistol is ready and, after I asked again, some info about the finishes (which we opted not to get yet).  So the pistol was "coming back within the next couple of days."  The middle of the following week arrives and no shipment notice, no pistol.

After a call to KT to check on the status, we found out that it was still on a shelf somewhere.  I asked when it would ship back and if the low shooting problem had been addressed and the tech said they hadn't even addressed that issue and that I should not have been told it was coming back yet.  When asked what they had been doing all this time, the tech said that the usual turnaround was 6-8 weeks so this was "normal."  About a week after that we got the shipment notice and now - after a little over two months - the pistol is back at GunLink HQ with a work order for a replaced slide or barrel, polished feed ramp and test fire.

We should be able to get in some range time at the end of the week or this weekend to try it out and see how it works. 

This has really been sort of a pain.  On the plus side, when I get a human on the phone they are pleasant and generally helpful and all of this hasn't cost me much other than time dealing with it, time without my pistol and mileage back and forth to the shipping place.

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2014, 09:28:59 PM »
We got to shoot the P11 a little bit, but not at a range where I think it was a good test of accuracy out of a pistol this size.  It did seem to shoot a little bit higher (no bullet impacts in the ground in front of the target).  It still seemed low, but I think more testing is in order.

Now the weird thing is that, after the pistol came back (along with a service order indicating a new slide and/or barrel), it is turning rags red.  The slide finish looks normal, but any time I wipe it down with regular Hoppes oil, the spot on the rag that I use turns red.  We asked KT about it on Facebook and they didn't know what it might be.

This is a bad cell phone picture and the flash washed out a lot of the red color, but here it is: 

I've used this rag and this oil to wipe down lots of guns lots of times and never saw this happen before.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 01:56:02 PM by GunLink »

Offline Grumpyone40

• GunLink Member
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2014, 06:57:47 PM »
Looking forward to more on the P11 project. I have had mine for over a year and like it, but I am growing to love it. I HAD a similar problem with hitting low(12-18") and left(8-12") at 15 yards. Fixed it in one afternoon with a knife, flat needle file, small screwdriver, and needle nose pliers. And a box of ammo. Now it shoots as accurate as I can manage. First, slide out the rear sight and remove the manufacturing flak left on it. Use the knife and file to smooth. Reinstall. Check your POI. This should have improved. It centered mine, but still low. Second, remove slide and using the screwdriver, press out the front sight. Look closely, more flak! Remove ALL flak with knife and file. Smooth the bottom as much as possible. Reinstall using needle nose pliers to seat as firmly as possible. Reassemble. Check POI. It should be higher. Removing the flak and seating mine raised my POI by 6". Remove and file away material from the bottom of the front sight slowly. It doesn't take much to make a big difference. I was in no hurry and removed my front sight 3 or 4 more times. Each time my POI came up several inches, finally coming in maybe an inch under. Not perfect, but pretty darn good for a quiet afternoon and a box of ammo. Used a drop of threadlock to help keep secure. It has been shooting accurately ever since. I am going to replace the trigger and magazine catch ASAP, to the same as yours. Thank you and please do not give up on the project. I look forward to seeing more about it.

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2014, 09:52:20 PM »
We are not giving up on it, but it is difficult to keep putting more and more energy into it, especially with other work piling up.  That is why it is called a project, though. 

Be sure to keep us posted on how your trigger and magazine catch installations go and share your pics of the finished product.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 05:54:59 PM by GunLink »

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2015, 02:21:45 PM »
We still have not been able to spare the time to work on the sights/POI issue, but we are certain that it can be overcome with a front sight mod.  The trick is just to find a couple of spare hours to do it.

We did add something new to the P11 that I like for CCW.

Adam from TALON grips sent over a couple sets of their rubberized grips for us to try out and they're working out great.

The grips took less than 5 minutes to install.  They come as basically a sticker or decal that is die-cut for an exact fit for whatever firearm you are putting them on.  You peel off the backing, lightly put it into place, wrapping it around the pistol grip and making sure it's aligned.  Once it is aligned to your satisfaction, you warm it up with a hair dryer or heat gun and press down on it more firmly to stick it in place.

TALON makes "skateboard tape" type grips and rubberized grips.  Since the P11 is usually carried IWB, Adam sent over the rubber ones, which are less likely to cause skin irritations than the sandpaper-like granulate grips.

The P11 grip cover, like the pistol itself, is fairly simple and without complicated contours, unlike those for a Glock or XD, which has logos on the grip, finger grooves, palm swells, and other such physical features.  The P11 cover has only the contour of the pistol grip, cuts to allow it to stay flat when it is wrapped around, cutouts for the magazine release button, and a small stylized "T" for TALON.

With the grip installed, the P11 is more comfortable to carry than it was with the factory-checkered grip (which I had previously covered with a section of bicycle inner tube) exposed. 

With sweaty or wet hands, the pistol handled better than it did with the inner tube and far better than the "naked" pistol.  The P11 is a small, light pistol and it can be snappy after shooting a box or two of range ammo and can move around on recoil, more so with defensive loads.  The inner tube helped with that, but it was still smooth and not really built for that purpose.  The TALON grips, on the other hand, are not only made of material specifically designed to stick in your hand, but are also relatively aggressively textured.  As such, the P11 stayed exactly where we put it through a couple boxes of ammo at our 90F+, humid range day, which provided ample opportunity to shoot it with sweaty mitts.

We weren't sure if it was just because it allowed a better grip on the pistol while shooting, or if it was the slight "give" in the rubber material, but it also seemed to have less perceived recoil. 

If you're interested in trying them out on your P11 or other pistol, there are grips for a variety of pistols on their website at talongungrips.com.  At under $20, the TALON grips are a great solution if you need some extra hang-on for your pistol or if the factory checkering irritates your skin when you carry.