!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: Learning to draw fast issues  (Read 1920 times)

Offline small

Learning to draw fast issues
« on: September 05, 2011, 08:05:15 PM »
OK I posted about the IDPA events and rules and such before. I have been watching Top Shot and youtube videos for ideas on practicing my draw and reloads. Here is the thing I love my Browning Hi-Power in 9mm. I have had many pistols before and have some still. This is my go to all the time, out of the box this is the most pleasure for me to shoot, accurate, with how I shoot and well I like it. (I'm afraid to try a CZ or Tang for fear I might like them)

Anyway I have been practicing slowly to get the form and muscle memory going and I'm getting smooth with my draw and a reload. Here is the thing when I started to add speed I never realized how sharp the cuts are in the slide where I grip to rack it. I'm using the Israeli draw. Hammer down on an empty chamber. I've practiced with both the hammer already cocked and de-cocked not much of a difference. It seems like with speed I'm cutting up the index finger on my left hand. After maybe 6 or seven times I was done.

Will I end up getting a callous? I've plenty already from turning a wrench and swinging a hammer but IIRC I first got blisters and then got the callous, this is just painful!? Anyone else have a similar experience? Any suggesting beside tough it out and keep practicing? I thought I'd cut myself the first couple of time is was a WTF moment if there ever was one.

Thanks in advance guys.     

GunLink Discussion Forums

Learning to draw fast issues
« on: September 05, 2011, 08:05:15 PM »

Offline Uncle Buck

Re: Learning to draw fast issues
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 08:30:46 AM »
I have only two semi-autos and hardly ever carry, shoot or even look at them.  I prefer the nice rounded edges of the revolvers.   ;D  That being said:

Is it possible to take this gun to a gun smith (Or maybe do it yourself) and have the sharp edges buffed out? 

Offline small

Re: Learning to draw fast issues
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 01:14:48 PM »
Hey Thanks Uncle Buck, in Illinois w/o a concealed carry law yet I have been keeping revolvers within  legal reach and well I have practiced with speed loaders fairly often so I hear what your saying about them. I may even keep them for carry if were ever get our Act together around here. As for the Hi Power well I'd like to be able to work it like they do in the movies. I'm certain I could take a file and knock the edge done some to help out. I was just curious if this is just a Learning curve you get used to or maybe I was doing something wrong.