!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: San Jose area  (Read 5772 times)

Offline billthecat

San Jose area
« on: July 13, 2011, 09:55:29 PM »
Well, here goes. I'm in the San Jose area. Would be interested in meeting up. Target practice. In the area, or out in public land (about 2.5 hours away). Or do whatever. Send me a private message.

PS. I had a difficult time registering, so if you tried and couldn't do it, try again!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 09:58:04 PM by billthecat »

GunLink Discussion Forums

San Jose area
« on: July 13, 2011, 09:55:29 PM »

Offline Uncle Buck

Re: San Jose area
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 11:47:55 AM »
Welcome to Gunlink Billthecat.

What types of shooting do you like to do?  Pistol/rifle/shotgun/Yes!  all of the above.  :D

I hear so much about how restrictive gun laws are in California.  How much of a problem is it for you to not only shoot, but to get supplies and different guns?

Offline billthecat

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 02:10:21 AM »
Welcome to Gunlink Billthecat.

What types of shooting do you like to do?  Pistol/rifle/shotgun/Yes!  all of the above.  :D

I hear so much about how restrictive gun laws are in California.  How much of a problem is it for you to not only shoot, but to get supplies and different guns?

All, but I think my preference is for pistols. A 12 gauge shotgun kicks like a mule; M4 is nice, but being limited to 10 rounds, it's kind of pointless for my POU (purpose of use).

Yes, things are VERY restrictive in Kalifornia. Maximum 10 rounds only (I feel safer already!). Impossible to get a CCW. New pistols must pass a "safety" test, and be on the DOJ's approved list, with expiring certifications, so many manufacturers don't bother. A lot of pistols simply aren't available (new). I like 9mm but I may step it up to 45.

There are so many stupid restrictions that focus a lot on how a gun looks. A rifle can't have too many things, like a pistol grip, flash suppressor, removable magazine, folding stock, etc. So you see rifles without a pistol grip but a removable magazine (typically AKs), or with a pistol grip but requiring a tool to remove a magazine (bullet button).

New this year, handgun ammo is restricted. I forget the details but I think that if you buy more than 50 rounds at a time, you have to be fingerprinted and records are kept.

I just don't get what folks are thinking. Laws don't prevent crime. If they did, prisons would be empty.

There are stores and ranges here and there, but nothing like I suspect it is elsewhere. I spoke to a ranger about shooting on public land, and he was very friendly, informative and helpful, which was unexpected. But it's like 2.5 hours away. Basically, I have an indoor range within about 10 miles, kind of pricey, an outdoor range a little further, pretty good deal ($12/day, multiple ranges), and the public land really far (haven't tried that yet, but got a couple of PVC stands made).

Offline Uncle Buck

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 08:30:44 AM »
Geez, I feel for you.

My range is my back yard. Coffee or iced tea served on the deck when we are shooting.

Offline billthecat

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 12:07:31 AM »
Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Offline Uncle Buck

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 08:53:47 AM »
This is a fairly new forum.  See if you can drum up some new members from your area.  Post it on Craigslist, etc.

Offline bobp

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 09:56:49 PM »
I am also in the San Jose area. I occasionally attend the Golden State group at Harry's and worked a booth at the fairgrounds a while back. I don't shoot for recreation. I am pro 2nd amendment for political / freedom / Constitutional reasons. I also belong to / attend several other conservative pro-gun groups and head a couple of conservative meetups.

Offline billthecat

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 01:30:23 AM »
One of the things that irritates me about California's laws, besides how restrictive they are, is how complex they are. There is a general ban on importing, selling, loaning, etc. magazines with a capacity greater than 10 rounds, after 1999. But if you had it before 2000, you can keep it, no problem.

However, in the case of rifles, a separate law bans assault weapons, which are listed by brand, etc. but also by definition:

The term “assault weapon” also means any firearm that falls under one of the following definitions pursuant to Penal Code section 12276.1:
(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
  (A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
  (B) A thumbhole stock.
  (C) A folding or telescoping stock.
  (D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
  (E) A flash suppressor.
  (F) A forward pistol grip.
(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

In other words, "assault weapon" includes a rifle with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds. So, even if you have a rifle with a "bullet button" requiring a tool to remove the magazine and therefore qualifying as a fixed magazine, you can't use a magazine with more than 10 rounds with it, even if the magazine is from before 2000. As soon as you pop in the magazine, it's a felony, because you then have an unregistered assault rifle. You can have the rifle, and you can have the magazine, but put the two together and you've committed a crime. I could be wrong, but it does seem that way.

That's just crazy.

It seems, then, that the only way to have a magazine with more than 10 rounds is to have a rifle that doesn't fall under (1) above, and to have magazines that you owned before 2000.

High taxes, high unemployment, high cost of living, poorly run government. About the only thing good about California these days is the weather.

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 09:59:52 PM »
That all sounds terribly confusing.  I'm sure it's confusing to the point where many people just abandon their hobby to avoid unintentionally crossing any legal lines.  This was, to be sure, part of the intention of passing such laws.

To all of you "behind enemy lines," keep up the good fight.  Hopefully things will change in the future.  Unfortunately, once you lose ground it's a hard-fought battle to get it back.