!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: The Official GunLink 2017 SHOT Show Discussion Thread  (Read 29639 times)

Offline GunLink_SHOT_17

• SHOT Show 2017 Coverage
  • Global Moderator
  • marketplace
    • GunLink SHOT Coverage
Re: The Official GunLink 2017 SHOT Show Discussion Thread
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2017, 01:13:20 PM »
Coincidentally, the JP Rifles Revolution Roller Trigger is something we first learned about from Steve at Shot Force.  He was trying to explain it to me through text messages a while back but I just wasn't catching on.  The JP rep with whom we spoke filled us in on the details. 

The Revolutions's flat trigger has a floating captive tube around it that rolls freely, allowing the shooter's trigger finger to naturally find its optimal position at the first knuckle without having to think about it, keeping poor trigger finger placement from pulling or pushing shots left or right. 

I know that Steve has one coming (or maybe already in hand) after trying one for himself.  We'll try to get more info from him and maybe try it for ourselves next time we head up to visit Shot Force.

GunLink Discussion Forums

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2017, 01:13:20 PM »

Offline GunLink_SHOT_17

• Global Moderator
  • marketplace
    • GunLink SHOT Coverage
Yankee Hill Machine at SHOT Show
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2017, 01:14:49 PM »
We've been loving the GunLink Yankee Hill Machine Phantom LT .30 cal suppressor. 

The new Turbo is a 5.56 dedicated can that is smaller and lighter.  We got to try it out at range day - stay tuned for more on this!

Offline GunLink_SHOT_17

• Global Moderator
  • marketplace
    • GunLink SHOT Coverage
ATI MP40 at SHOT Show
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2017, 01:17:34 PM »
American Tactical had their new 9mm MP40 at the show:

Offline GunLink_SHOT_17

• Global Moderator
  • marketplace
    • GunLink SHOT Coverage
Brigand Arms at SHOT Show
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2017, 01:19:47 PM »
Brigand Arms' ultra light braided carbon fiber handguard

Offline GunLink_SHOT_17

• Global Moderator
  • marketplace
    • GunLink SHOT Coverage
Dead Foot Arms at SHOT Show
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2017, 01:24:21 PM »
The Dead Foot Arms side short buffer system works great on a rifle with the side-folding stock

or on an AR pistol

Offline GunLink_SHOT_17

• Global Moderator
  • marketplace
    • GunLink SHOT Coverage
Real Avid at SHOT Show
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2017, 01:27:14 PM »
Real Avid has been making gun cleaning and maintenance gear for a while, and they continue to innovate. 

This year they are showcasing a pull-through bore cleaner that is self contained so that it does not get crud all through your range bag and an all-in-one AR cleaning tool with all of its component tool clearly marked as to their purpose. 

Offline GunLink_SHOT_17

• Global Moderator
  • marketplace
    • GunLink SHOT Coverage
SilencerCo Maxim 9 at SHOT Show
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2017, 01:31:28 PM »
Last year at SHOT Show 2016, we got to see someone else shooting the Maxim 9 (or, more likely, one of a small number of pre-production models)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTFlxFVNQao[/youtube]

This year, not only did Silencer Co bring enough to range day to share with everyone (giving us the opportunity to shoot it for ourselves), their booth is full of them... and holsters to go with them, including generic looking kydex holsters and a Blackhawk Serpa model.

Offline GunLink_SHOT_17

• Global Moderator
  • marketplace
    • GunLink SHOT Coverage
Empty Shell Defense XM556 Microgun at SHOT Show
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2017, 01:35:50 PM »
Who doesn't love a mini gun?  How about a microgun? 

We got the chance to stop by and see Flem at Empty Shell Defense and see their XM556 Microgun and the D12 shotgun.

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• Team GunLink
  • GunLink Member
Battle Rifle Company Marine Rifle
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2017, 10:33:01 PM »
if you live near the water, you may be concerned how the environment affects your rifle. All of that extra water in the air can help rust along pretty quickly. Battle Rifle Company, based out of Texas, took this a step further and decided to build a rifle that could survive being drowned in salt water for a month. They took their normal duty-line of AR style rifles and developed a proprietary coating process to treat the rifle. This is called the Maritime Weapon System.

They had an awesome video on display that showed the results of their first test. The dust cover was completely orange, it did wipe away cleaning though, and they found a couple of screws that completely failed. After some tweaking to a few small parts, they now have a rifle that does not show any side of rust after being submerged in salt water for one month. The regular rifle retails at about $1100 and the rifle with the maritime treatment will retail at about $1600.

Keep an eye out for photos.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 03:15:39 PM by GunLink_SHOT_17 »

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• Team GunLink
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2017, 01:06:02 PM »
Well, two of the three GunLink members ended up coming down with something at the end of the show.

It was nice to watch the inauguration on a large screen projector in the company of a lot of like-minded people. There was also a large TV in the main hallway for attendees to watch and there were multiple TVs throughout the show floor that exhibitors had set up in their booths.

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• Team GunLink
  • GunLink Member
Mike Rowe at the SHOT Show State of the Industry Dinner 2017
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2017, 11:11:28 PM »
Every year, the SHOT Show has a State of Industry Dinner with a fancy catered dinner and a special guest speaker. This year, the guest speaker was Mike Rowe. Mike Rowe was the host of Dirty Jobs and is the narrator for a wide variety of reality of TV shows like, Deadliest Catch and Wicked Tuna.

Mr. Rowe apparently received a post on Facebook from a fan stating:
I just read that you’re speaking at the SHOT show in Las Vegas this week. VERY disappointing. There are already too many guns in this country, and too much faux patriotism surrounding the second amendment. I can’t believe you’d risk your good name associating with a bunch of gun nuts. You’ve lost a fan.

His entire response can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/TheRealMikeRowe/posts/1406554542688018

After politely explaining why he was speaking and why guns are important to the safety of people, individually and as a country, and how the first amendment protects everyone's opinions, etc. he ended his post:
As for you Marla – you can either stomp off in a cloud of righteous indignation, or you can accompany me to the SHOT Show as my guest, and see what all the fuss is about.
Either way, it’s nice to have choices, don’t you think?
Best,
Mike
PS. If you do want to come, better RSVP quick – I’m leaving tomorrow morning, and you’re gonna need your own hotel room. (Just so we’re clear…)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 03:12:41 PM by GunLink_SHOT_17 »

Offline GunLink_SHOT_17

• Global Moderator
  • marketplace
    • GunLink SHOT Coverage
http://blog.gunlink.info/2017/02/02/micro-handguns-of-shot-show-2017/

The Micro Handguns of SHOT Show 2017

Check out some of the tiny handguns that we saw at SHOT Show, including the 6-shot .25ACP from Standard Mfg that shoots two barrels at a time (3x2 shots), the Iver Johnson 4-shot .22 Pocket Ace, and the Inter Ordnance mini revolver that will take on the NAA.

http://blog.gunlink.info/2017/02/02/micro-handguns-of-shot-show-2017/
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 03:12:13 PM by GunLink_SHOT_17 »

Offline GunLink_SHOT_17

• Global Moderator
  • marketplace
    • GunLink SHOT Coverage
ETS Glock Magazines and new Mag Loader
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2017, 02:13:31 PM »
We love our ETS see-through Glock magazines in our pistols and SBRs, and now Elite Tactical Systems is aiming to make loading them easier.

They had their new mag loader (or, at least a prototype thereof) on hand in the ETS booth at SHOT Show 2017.  The loader acts similarly to an AR-15 stripper clip/spoon combination but, rather than carrying around loaded clips and feeding them through the spoon, the loader scoops up rounds into the stripper clip (directly from your ammo box), the spoon is built in, and the stripper slides the the loader to push the rounds into the magazine en masse. 

The rounds that that ETS staff were loading for their demo were getting scooped out of ammo boxes with pretty generous spacing between the rounds, and I was concerned that more tightly packed ammo (I think it's Perfecta that spaces them very closely) might not have enough room to scoop out rounds.  However, the ETS guys assured me that the thin rails on the loader could easily slide between the cases to scoop them up.

Slide the loader along the case heads:

Scoop up some rounds (the more you scoop, the harder it will be to push them in):

Put the plunger onto the "stripper clip" part of the loader:

And push the rounds into the mag:

Tada:

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• Team GunLink
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2017, 02:47:47 PM »
Looking for a cheap way to practice your shooting skills? Or maybe a backup hunting rifle for emergencies? Maybe an air gun is the answer.

http://blog.gunlink.info/2017/01/31/airguns-make-big-noise-at-shot-show/

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• Team GunLink
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2017, 02:50:45 PM »
A few companies have come up with innovative products that can be used to simulate full-auto fire without the need to find one for sale or breaking the bank. Check out some of the new and not so new products that we saw at SHOT show this year.

http://blog.gunlink.info/2017/01/30/faux-automatic-rapid-fire-without-machine-gun/

Offline GunLink_SHOT_17

• Global Moderator
  • marketplace
    • GunLink SHOT Coverage
Full Conceal Collapsing Glock Pistol
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2017, 03:11:18 PM »

Yeaaaaaah.... this thing.  The Full Conceal pistol.

It's pretty much what it sounds and looks like.  I am, admittedly, more than a little dubious about this one. 

Full Conceal offers two models (M1 and M2) of Glock conversions that aim to reduce the overall size of your concealed carry piece and reduce printing.  They do that by chopping off the bottom of the grip (of what appears to be a Polymer80 80% pistolf frame PF940 V1.5) and carrying the magazine stuck to the front rail instead of in the mag well, forward of the trigger guard.  Or, forward of where the trigger guard would be if they hadn't removed it on the M2 model to make room for the magazine.

But wait, it sure looks like the magazine goes right past where the trigger guard was in into that gaping hole in the front of the grip frame, doesn't it?  Yes, good eye, dear reader.

Full Conceal has also monkeyed with the trigger to devise some type of mechanism that allows the trigger to fold up into the frame and out of the way of the magazine.

That's right... no trigger guard, leaving the collapsing trigger exposed.

It's pretty cool that people are coming up with new ideas and trying to innovate in the firearms world.  However, not every idea can be a winner (remember the laser we saw at last SHOT Show that only turns on when you put your finger on the trigger?).  The issues that we see right away with the Full Conceal FC-G17 are several. 

The first is that it doesn't really seem to save that much space.  The chopped-down grip doesn't make the entire firearm that much shorter than a Glock G26, which can take higher capacity G19, G17, or G18 magazines just as easily as the chopped down FC-G17.  When you factor in that it has a longer slide and, on the M1, the magazine sticks out even past that, you gain a fair amount of length as well.

The M1 was originally slated to ship (and be carried) with an empty mag well, although they claim you can carry with one in the chamber.  Aside from giving you only one shot without having to load your firearm, the empty mag well would allow all sorts of debris into the action.  While a stubby 7-round magazine is available for the M1, the M2 is still to be carried with an empty magazine (and chamber, thanks to the folding trigger). 

On the M2 model, even once you have drawn your firearm, assembled it, and loaded it by racking the slide, there is no trigger guard.  If you aren't ready to immediately fire, or you have finished firing, where do most people put their finger?  This seems like a major safety concern. 

Using the light rail as a spot to hold a spare magazine is an interesting idea, but it does introduce one glaring issue... it takes up the light rail.  Where do you put your light/laser if your primary magazine is there?  Here's hoping FC-G17 users don't get into any sketchy situations after dark!

Lastly, if the Full Conceal does, indeed, come as a Polymer80 80% pistolf lower, how many people have the time, desire, or skill to machine their own pistol frame that is expected to be carried and relied upon to protect one's own life with? 
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 03:22:33 PM by GunLink_SHOT_17 »

Offline GunLink_SHOT_17

• Global Moderator
  • marketplace
    • GunLink SHOT Coverage
BLACKHAWK! Omnivore Universal Holster (150+ models)
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2017, 03:30:08 PM »
BLACKHAWK! Omnivore Universal Holster (150+ models)

We got a chance to stop by the BLACKHAWK! booth at SHOT Show 2017 and take a look at the new Omnivore holster, which boasts that it can fit more than 150 different firearms. 

This was a pretty interesting system that can holster pretty much any pistol with a rail, whether it has a light on it or not (Surefire or Streamlight), and hold it securely with level 2 retention.

This is achieved by indexing the holster retention mechanism to the little "Rail Attachment Device" (RAD) instead of any part of the handgun's frame.  The level 2 retention uses a thumb-release lock that won't let go if the pistol is being pulled on when it is pressed. 

The "universal" nature of the Omnivore means that it needs a little extra space to accommodate larger pistols.  This has the added effect, which Blackhawk touts as a feature, of extra space around the entire pistol that will allow debris to fall straight through rather than getting hung up on the firearm or gunking up your holster. 

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEvHQmzf5j0[/youtube]

Offline GunLink_SHOT_17

• Global Moderator
  • marketplace
    • GunLink SHOT Coverage
Taurus Spectrum Brightens Up SHOT Show 2017
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2017, 03:47:57 PM »
Taurus Spectrum Brightens Up SHOT Show 2017

The new Taurus Spectrum got a lot of attention at SHOT Show.  With the tagline of "Shaping the future of everyday carry", the Spectrum - which is designed, engineered and manufactured in the USA - claims to deliver better comfort, better responsiveness and better control. 

And it comes in colors.  Because that's apparently important. 

I actually liked the Spectrum more than I thought I would.  And more than I wanted to, for a pistol whose big draw seemed to be the rainbow livery in which it can be configured. 

The Spectrum was small enough that it would likely carry pretty well, it was comfortable in the hand (much more so than their other small .380, the TCP), and it was nice and rounded, which should allow for an easy draw. 

As for the colors, Taurus is offering it in a number of standard colors for an MSRP of $289 with your selection of house color combinations for $305.  Given that the overmolded grip panels are made of soft rubber, I would avoid lighter colors - I can almost guarantee that they will look disgusting after carrying it for a week or to a single range trip. 

The flush magazine floorplate didn't let me get all my fingers on the grip, but it was about par for the course for small .380 ACP pistols.  The extended floorplate (also nice and rounded and melty so it shouldn't snag) let me get my final digit on the grip and felt pretty comfortable. 

Offline Glockzilla3K

• GunLink Member
Re: Full Conceal Collapsing Glock Pistol
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2017, 04:13:09 PM »
Please tell me this is a joke??  An exposed trigger that has to be pulled to store the magazine that isn't carried in the gun?  There is so much wrong with that.

I guess the one in the last pic isn't that bad since its actually carried loaded but if you're trying to make it smaller carrying your reload attached to the gun doesn't achieve that!

Yeaaaaaah.... this thing.  The Full Conceal pistol.

It's pretty much what it sounds and looks like.  I am, admittedly, more than a little dubious about this one. 

Full Conceal offers two models (M1 and M2) of Glock conversions that aim to reduce the overall size of your concealed carry piece and reduce printing.  They do that by chopping off the bottom of the grip (of what appears to be a Polymer80 80% pistolf frame PF940 V1.5) and carrying the magazine stuck to the front rail instead of in the mag well, forward of the trigger guard.  Or, forward of where the trigger guard would be if they hadn't removed it on the M2 model to make room for the magazine.

But wait, it sure looks like the magazine goes right past where the trigger guard was in into that gaping hole in the front of the grip frame, doesn't it?  Yes, good eye, dear reader.

Full Conceal has also monkeyed with the trigger to devise some type of mechanism that allows the trigger to fold up into the frame and out of the way of the magazine.

That's right... no trigger guard, leaving the collapsing trigger exposed.

It's pretty cool that people are coming up with new ideas and trying to innovate in the firearms world.  However, not every idea can be a winner (remember the laser we saw at last SHOT Show that only turns on when you put your finger on the trigger?).  The issues that we see right away with the Full Conceal FC-G17 are several. 

The first is that it doesn't really seem to save that much space.  The chopped-down grip doesn't make the entire firearm that much shorter than a Glock G26, which can take higher capacity G19, G17, or G18 magazines just as easily as the chopped down FC-G17.  When you factor in that it has a longer slide and, on the M1, the magazine sticks out even past that, you gain a fair amount of length as well.

The M1 was originally slated to ship (and be carried) with an empty mag well, although they claim you can carry with one in the chamber.  Aside from giving you only one shot without having to load your firearm, the empty mag well would allow all sorts of debris into the action.  While a stubby 7-round magazine is available for the M1, the M2 is still to be carried with an empty magazine (and chamber, thanks to the folding trigger). 

On the M2 model, even once you have drawn your firearm, assembled it, and loaded it by racking the slide, there is no trigger guard.  If you aren't ready to immediately fire, or you have finished firing, where do most people put their finger?  This seems like a major safety concern. 

Using the light rail as a spot to hold a spare magazine is an interesting idea, but it does introduce one glaring issue... it takes up the light rail.  Where do you put your light/laser if your primary magazine is there?  Here's hoping FC-G17 users don't get into any sketchy situations after dark!

Lastly, if the Full Conceal does, indeed, come as a Polymer80 80% pistolf lower, how many people have the time, desire, or skill to machine their own pistol frame that is expected to be carried and relied upon to protect one's own life with?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 04:17:51 PM by Glockzilla3K »

Offline masfonos

« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2017, 09:12:43 AM »
Please tell me this is a joke??  An exposed trigger that has to be pulled to store the magazine that isn't carried in the gun?  There is so much wrong with that.

I guess the one in the last pic isn't that bad since its actually carried loaded but if you're trying to make it smaller carrying your reload attached to the gun doesn't achieve that!

Definitely not my cup of tea in terms of making my carry gun smaller or carrying a reload or having it be safe, but to each their own, I guess.  I wouldn't ever buy one, but I've seen people buy some gun stuff that I thought was pretty stupid and unpractical.