!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: The Official GunLink 2018 SHOT Show Discussion Thread January 23-26 2018  (Read 17804 times)

Offline masfonos

Re: The Official GunLink 2018 SHOT Show Discussion Thread January 23-26 2018
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2018, 07:10:11 PM »
😂😂   ;D silkies  ;D

Just got a press release for an item of tactical wear called Ranger panties.  They look like shorts.  I feel like I’m missing something.

GunLink Discussion Forums

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2018, 07:10:11 PM »

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• Team GunLink
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2018, 03:08:49 AM »
The pistol featured in the Netflix series, The Punisher, will be debuted at SHOT this year too. The NXP8 by Seekins Precision.  http://www.seekinsprecision.com/parts-and-accessories/modern-sporting-rifles/nxr-pistol.html

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• Team GunLink
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2018, 03:12:08 AM »
Per the manufacturer, “Made by the official SOFFE brand currently available on military installations. Don’t know what size to get? We go by the rule that if it fits, go down a size. Our Ranger Panties, a.k.a. Silkies, will be the most comfortable pair of workout shorts you’ll ever wear. Each design features the unique emblems of historical Special Operations units.”

😂😂   ;D silkies  ;D

Just got a press release for an item of tactical wear called Ranger panties.  They look like shorts.  I feel like I’m missing something.

Offline GunLink_SHOT_18

• SHOT Show 2018 Coverage
  • Global Moderator
  • marketplace
    • GunLink SHOT Coverage
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2018, 11:45:39 AM »
#surprise... the #franklinarmory #reformation has non-rifled lands and grooves. Claimed 4 MOA with factory ammo and "near MOA" with these special projectiles. #shotshow @shotshow @franklinarmory

« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 04:14:38 PM by GunLink_SHOT_18 »
Message me to see your company here during our 2018 Show coverage!

Offline GunLink_SHOT_18

• Global Moderator
  • marketplace
    • GunLink SHOT Coverage
Franklin Armory Reformation non-SBR short barreled "firearm"
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2018, 04:46:42 PM »
Here are some more photos of the Franklin Armory Reformation

The Reformation is basically a SBR but, instead of the lands and grooves of the barrel being rifled, they are straight along the bore of the barrel.  They claim 4MOA accuracy with off the shelf ammo, and we shot pretty well with it at Range Day.  With their special finned ammo, which looks like a Nerf football with a tail, they claim near MOA performance. 

This is a pretty interesting piece, keep an eye out for a full writeup on it

« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 06:23:04 PM by GunLink »

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• Team GunLink
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2018, 02:59:13 AM »
For less than lethal protection, Sabre is introducing a few new upgrades to their product line. One is the Automotive Pepper ge (#AST-G-W). This device is the normal pepper spray for civilian use that you would expect to see. It also has a glass breaker, seat belt cutter, and a personal alarm that includes a woman screaming. It’s an all-in-one device to keep in the car.

Sabre is also introducing a New stun gun  with 2.516 uC (S-3000SF)

There were a lot of new safety locking systems on display to stop unauthorized/unintended access to firearms. Check out more details on them here.

If you haven't read the Range Day Round Up yet, check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 06:53:08 PM by GunLink »

Offline GunLink_SHOT_18

• Global Moderator
  • marketplace
    • GunLink SHOT Coverage
Re: SHOT Show 2018 - Fausti USA Italian Double Shotguns
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2018, 03:15:31 AM »
We got a chance to stop by the Fausti USA booth to check out their high end Italian double barreled (SxS and O/U) shotguns, including the commemorative model to celebrate the company's 70th anniversary this year.  Happy 70th!

I definitely liked the Sig P365, 10+1 9mm in a pocket-carry sized pistol is pretty remarkable.  I had a smaller 6+1 9mm that I really hated and this one looks like it is much more well executed.  It has good ergonomics, handles well, and... 11 rounds of 9mm in your pocket!  I don't know if they didn't have it at Range Day or if we just missed it, but I wish that we'd had the opportunity to shoot this thing!

New hot round, new Barrett rifles.  The .224 Valkyrie is supposed to be small (60-70gr), fast (3000+fps), and flat shooting

Remington had a lot going on in their booth.  Most impressive (unfortunately) was the wood furniture on the TAC-14 non-SBS short barreled "not a shotgun" firearm.  It looks and feels soooo good. I'd love to see a wood stock set for the 590 Shockwave this well finished - I'd jump all over it.

Less impressive was their detachable box magazine fed 870DM shotgun line. Despite (or, perhaps, due to) their earlier launch than the Mossberg equivalent, it just doesn't seem as well executed.  I will, however, say right up front that I'm a Mossberg guy, so I may be biased in that regard.

The bolt-on mag housing, the goofy magazine release placement and function, and the cheap looking/feeling in-house magazines make it feel more like a back-room proof of concept prototype rather than something from the Skunk Works of a major firearms manufacturer.  After some of the fiascos with their pistols, I'm frankly a little worried about "Big Green."

While we didn't get a chance to do any live-fire with the 870DM, Remington did have a contest in their booth to load and "fire" your way through a magazine full of dummy shells. Maybe it was the hundreds of other visitors who had been beating on the shotguns for the whole show, or maybe not, but we had some cycling issues with ours.

Our neighbors over at Doublestar had the infamous USA Today pants-wetting AR chainsaw attachment on display, along with their Deadpool 1911.  Maximum Effort!

And from the "What Could Possibly Go Wrong Files"... these guys are back this year. We've visited with them before, but remembered to grab a photo this time around.

What is it, you ask? It's a system that allows you to turn on your light or laser by pressing a button... on your trigger.  Yes... you activate your light by pushing on the lever that makes your gun go bang.  Super Duper Tier One Operators only - Regular Joe Losers need not apply!

And, since we're out in the obscure stuff weeds, here are a couple of finds from the "Pretty Cool Stuff That I'll Never Afford Files"

How about a $150,000 knife - The Platinum Mamba.  Encrusted with 320 diamonds totaling over 16 carats stuck in 11.5 ounces of platinum with some black jade for good measure and sporting a tungsten carbide blade.  Great timing, I need a new letter opener.

And a commemorative Donald John Trump POTUS 45 custom 1911.  The good news is that it's more than 128 times cheaper than their meteorite pistol. The bad news is that it's still a $35,000 pistol - perhaps ranging upward of $50,000 for certain serial numbers that range from WASHINGTON01 through TRUMP45 (we'll let you figure out that pattern). Only the first 44 are for sale though.

This was a pretty neat find.  Mostly useless to all but one of our team, but neat nonetheless.  Bula Defense Systems was showcasing what is ostensibly the world's first left-handed M-14.

Lefties who want to hump around a man's man's rifle, and normal-handed people who want to manipulate the M-14's bolt without letting go of their firing grip, rejoice.

We also had a chance to fool around with the Ideal Conceal .380ACP that masquerades as a cell phone.  Interesting if you absolutely, positively have to have a completely discrete carry option. Barring that, there has to be better options.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 08:28:29 PM by GunLink »

Offline GunLink_SHOT_18

• Global Moderator
  • marketplace
    • GunLink SHOT Coverage
Safariland Debuts new Holster-Activated Body Cam Technology at #SHOTshow
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2018, 03:19:57 AM »
Local press came out to the show to cover new technology for law enforcement officers to activate their body cams any time they draw their weapon.

LAS VEGAS (KSNV) — Its small, just a few inches, but it could be the future of law enforcement. A hi-tech link; a lifeline for police and an eyewitness for civilians.

Over the past four years, Las Vegas has seen first-person video from police body cameras. It provides a cop's point of view during critical calls.

Officer involved shootings are all reviewed to see if the police were justified in their use of force. Other times, like when Seattle Seahawks star Michael Bennett was tackled and arrested, it’s what we didn't see that captured headlines. Bennet claims police threatened his life. The officer who arrested him didn't turn his body camera on.

A company called Safariland thinks they have a solution.

Thier body camera starts recording when an officer pulls his gun. A sensor built into the holster is triggered when a gun is pulled. The officer no longer has to think about hitting record.

The system connects to officers radios and to dispatch. When an officer pulls his gun dispatch is alerted and other officers at a scene are also notified electronically.

Read more at KSNV

Visit Safariland

Town Hall writer Beth Baumann sent us a message yesterday evening to clue us in about her piece on TH about the Associated Press "Attempt to Destroy SHOT Show's Reputation".

As Beth points out, "The goal of the meeting is to allow firearms manufacturers, dealers and industry-related media to gather and see what guns, accessories and the latest gadgets will be released in the next year." Just as it has for four decades now as the event celebrates its 40th anniversary - with many of those years spent right here in Las Vegas.

However, the AP recently tried to tie the industry trade show - which serves, in large part, military, police, and first responders who help to keep us safe - to the October terrorist attack in Las Vegas by inexplicably using that as the lead in their headline, "Gun industry converges near Las Vegas mass shooting site" as if it were somehow relevant (or accurate).

The headline implies that the shooting industry is not being sensitive to the victims of the Las Vegas shooting, which couldn't be further from the truth. In fact, SHOT Show has taken place in Vegas for roughly 20 years. It wasn't like the Las Vegas shooting occurred, and the NSSF decided to suddenly change the location to stomp on victims and their families.

"The exhibitors and attendees are well aware of the tragedy and feel genuine sympathy for the victims. But they know that the lawful commerce in firearms serving millions of law-abiding citizens is completely unconnected to the actions of a criminal intent on doing harm," Bazinet said.

Bazinet is right. There are millions of law-abiding gun owners across the country. We utilize our God-given, Constitutionally protected, Second Amendment rights.

Just like with everything, there are a few bad apples who try to ruin it for the rest of us. In this case, they're called criminals. And guess what? They're going to do everything in their power to get their hands on a weapon — whether it be a gun, knife or bomb — if they're looking to cause bloodshed. ...read more...

Read the full story at Associated Press' Attempt to Destroy SHOT Show's Reputation Went Down in Flames

https://townhall.com/notebook/bethbaumann/2018/01/24/associated-press-attempts-to-smear-shot-show-over-conference-location-in-las-vegas-n2438782
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 06:40:51 PM by GunLink »

Offline GunLink_SHOT_18

• Global Moderator
  • marketplace
    • GunLink SHOT Coverage
The AP's Lame Attempt to Smear #SHOTshow 2018
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2018, 12:34:01 PM »
We didn't set out looking for the Night Fision (sic) booth, we just happened to spot them as we walked by.  And they were hard to miss. They bill their product as "The brightest pistol sigh both day and night" and we spotted them from a good ways away.

Night sights are night sights are night sights, but these guys claim to have the highest concentration of tritium on the market to yield the brightest sights in low light and have bright fluorescent colors molded into the vial surround to make them easy to pick up in daylight.

US made of 4140 steel with black nitride coating and "bullet proof glass" lenses.  We may have to check out a set of these - available for Glock, Canik, Sig, Smith & Wesson, and Springfield.

Also in the sight department is the new Meprolight FT Bullseye rear-sight-only sight "set".  Relying on an elongated rear sight system, the FT Bullseye uses a tube that you look down to  center the illuminated dot in the illuminated circle.

I'm certain that we got a good shot of the sight picture, but had to use a different camera to get it.  I'll try to get it up ASAP.

And, in case you need an enormous 12ga drum magazine for your VEPR 12, SGM Tactical to the rescue...

We saw the Inter Ordnance (I.O. Inc.) mini revolver last year, but it was a VERY rough prototype. This year, they had actual polished-looking models in their booth that seemed to be decently well made.

We're not sure if they'll be able to give NAA a run for their money, but they'll probably sell alright with the small size and swing-out cylinder coming standard.

Our pal Tom from BulletSafe was on the show floor showing off their new 2.0 vest with a handful of upgrades:
- standard plate carrier
- Coolmax rear liner
- Hook & loop patch panel
- Optional tactical carrier to hump duty gear
- Modular side straps to allow for size changes or upgrading to optional armored straps.

Trinity Force Lured us in with a super-cheap ($40) pistol sight tool in the New Product Center, and kept us around to see all the other stuff they had, including AR parts, tools, optics, and more. Check out their site at trinityforce.com

If you're looking for an office-friendly, sophisticated, low-key way to off-body CCW, Supertool had their Magnetic Locking Case - a beautiful full-grain leather covered portfolio style case with a soft crushed velvet liner and dozens of strong magnets hiding between the two.   The whole thing locks up to keep prying fingers out, unzips quickly for ease of access, and all those magnets keep your pistol and magazines in place so they are where you expect them to be when you open it up.

I think I need one.

Guess who's now jumping into the Glock replacement barrel game... It's our favorite cheap steel ammo maker, Wolf Performance Ammo.  "Drop in" and "Match Grade," WPA's barrels are 416 steel and broach rifled with a 1:16 LH twist.  Available in standard, ported, and threaded models.

Apparently their barrel guy was out to lunch, because the guy in the booth couldn't give me any pricing information or even tell me if they had standard or metric threads.

I was super happy to see this in the American Tactical booth. Back when I was school, I knew a guy that had a Turkish imported .410 AR-15 upper that he got from ATI, then the supply apparently dried up. Guess what's back...

Built on ATI's Omni Hybrid metal-reinforced polymer receivers, they're now offering complete .410 AR Shotguns.  18.5" barrel, 13" keymod rail, 5-round box magazine with 15 rounders available, and takes interchangeable choke tubes (available in a set of full, extra full, IC, and mod).

Here's another one that actually got me pretty excited... No takedown 10/22? No Problem. 

The Archangel Quick Break-Down Stock turns your standard Ruger 10/22® models into one that can easily be broken down for convenient packing, transport, or storage. It's got a cam lever on the bottom of the stock that interfaces with the standard v-block notch on the 10/22 barrel to let it come in and out quickly. Then, when the stock folds up, the barrel fits into the butt. 

« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 09:15:55 PM by GunLink »

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• Team GunLink
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2018, 12:37:59 PM »

I saw men wearing USA flag Ranger panties in the Vortex Booth.  I haven’t decided how I feel about this yet.

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• Team GunLink
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2018, 03:08:50 PM »

For the person in your life who needs more than one suitcase for a one week vacation

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• Team GunLink
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2018, 10:20:29 AM »
Mace will be releasing two lines of their pepper spray and other non lethal defense items. The Empower. The Empower  line features two color options. The first  is purple and a portion of the proceeds will go to support programs that help victims of domestic violence. The second is hot pink and a portion of the proceeds will go to support groups that help victims of domestic violence and breast cancer.

More information can be found on their website. www.macecares.com

Offline MutantMaker

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2018, 11:32:37 PM »
What else was new other than the Franklin Armory weapon?

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• Team GunLink
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2018, 08:36:55 PM »
What else was new other than the Franklin Armory weapon?

There was a lot of new stuff this year.  We’re still working on putting everything together.

Are you interested in anything in particular?

Is the New Sig P365 the Perfect Carry Gun?

Fausti Celebrates 70 Years of Beautiful Shotguns at SHOT Show 2018

I.O. Inc. Mini Revolver Makes Progress for 2018

Mossberg and Remington Unleash Double-Barreled Blast of Mag Fed Shotguns at SHOT Show 2018

2018 SHOT Show Range Day Round Up

Brownells Makes History, Launches Retro Rifles Line

We got to check out the new Sig Sauer P365 subcompact 9mm. 10+1 rounds and only slightly bigger than the .380ACP P238. We expect this to be a hot one.

Mossberg fired back at Remington's mag-fed 870DM with their 590M that uses Adaptive Tactical designed double stack magazines. We got to shoot this one at the range; I have short arms so I had trouble cycling it but our other shooters really liked it.

Unfortunately it can't be retrofit on an existing 590 since the receiver is different. They wouldn't say for sure but it sounds like a Shockwave version may be in the works soon.

Brownells had their newly launched Retro rifle line on display

ETA: More info on Brownell's Retro line here.

Sticky Holsters had their full lineup on display, including all of their new items like the Belt Slider and mini-mag pouches and sleeves.

They also had the add-on hybrid pad, but it seemed like it added a lot of bulk to a holster.

LOTS MORE TO COME...!

« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 11:22:49 AM by GunLink »

Offline GunLink_SHOT_18

• Global Moderator
  • marketplace
    • GunLink SHOT Coverage
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2018, 11:52:56 AM »
The 40th SHOT Show was a great show and we were glad to see companies coming out with some new stuff.  It's time to start thinking about the 2019 show and we're excited to see what else they bring out without such a big gun control axe hanging over their heads.

January 22-25, 2019:  http://shotshow.org/

Congrats to the companies who had exhibited at all 40 shows - we look forward to seeing them all again in January along with many others.

Aimpoint
Al Mar Knives
Allen Company
Beretta USA
BPI Outdoors
Browning
Camillus Knives/Acme United Corp
Cimarron Firearms
Colt’s Manufacturing Co.
Crosman
Danner/Lacrosse Footwear
Dixie Gun Works
EMF Company
EZE-LAP Diamond Products
FW Outdoors
FMG Publications
Forster Products
Freedom Arms
Gerber
GSI International
Heckler & Koch
Hodgdon Powder Company
Hornady
Kershaw (Zero Tolerance) Knives
Lansky Sharpeners
Leupold & Stevens
Lyman Products Corp.
MAG Instrument
MEC Shooting Sports
MTM Molded Products
National Rifle Association
Nosler
Numrich Gun Parts
O.F. Mossberg & Sons
Redding Reloading Equipment
Remington Arms Co.
Sierra Bullets
Smith’s Consumer Products
Springfield Armory
Benelli USA
Ruger Firearms
The Safariland Group
Smith & Wesson
Triple K Manufacturing
Vista Outdoor
Umarex USA
Weatherby
Williams Gun Sight Co.
Winchester Ammunition
Carl Zeiss Sports Optics

Offline benchrest308

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2018, 01:23:08 PM »
I suppose 2019 Shot Show will be everyone that isn't already there jumping on the 6.5CM wagon. 
That's fine by me. Maybe a Ruger American or Savage Axis or Remington 770 to get more shooters into it. All bolt guns though I don't think that there's enough. Demand for it on AR10 platform yet.

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• Team GunLink
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2018, 07:48:42 PM »
I felt that the .224 Valkyrie was the new band wagon this past SHOT and the 6.5 Creedmoor started a couple years ago. 

I think the developers were looking for ways to “improve” existing models without a lot of R&D because the climate for the industry has been so bad the past decade or so. And making “new” rounds is hit or miss.