!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: Beretta 84 Vs. Browning BDA  (Read 17185 times)

Offline small

Beretta 84 Vs. Browning BDA
« on: March 29, 2012, 06:06:38 PM »
Hey I have been without a 380acp in my line up for sometime. The other day at the range my friend brought out his new Taurus in 380 (I forget the mdl). Anyway it got me looking at 380's again. I had an AMT Back-Up back in the Late 80's early 90's that was Sa Only and had  finger ledge in the mag that would cut my little finger after a while. I guess I could have bought a mag without it but sold the gun instead.  Now Taurus has come a long way since they first appeared here in the states. They always seemed, to me, to be a "Cheap" clone, of either Smith and Wesson for their revolvers or Beretta for their semi-autos. I'll give my buddies pistol a thumbs up for fit, finish, and function. I just don't care for it but it got me looking.

I have been looking now at two; the Beretta 84 or the Browning BDA. They seem pretty similar, yet there are differences that may be worth kicking around. In another thread I just posted I asked about the safeties mounted on the slide Vs. frame. Does that seem to make a difference? I'd read that the BDA was made by Beretta in Italy for Browning? It looks like for the "better looking used" the Beretta will run a bit more then a similar condition BDA. Again other then the safety is there any difference?

Anyone out there have experiences with either or maybe both?   

GunLink Discussion Forums

Beretta 84 Vs. Browning BDA
« on: March 29, 2012, 06:06:38 PM »

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
Re: Beretta 84 Vs. Browning BDA
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 09:23:38 AM »
Although similar, there are some minor differences. 

As you mentioned, the safety on the Browning is slide mounted versus the frame mounted Beretta safety. Beretta factory magazines also held an additional round for a total of 13.  I believe all BDAs came with the rounded trigger guard while only some early Beretta "Cheetahs" came with a rounded trigger guard, later opting for the beretta "FS" style as shown in these pictures, which also depict the cutaway slide of the Beretta. The sight shape also varies between the two, with the Beretta offering more of a flat sight surface facing you, which might make it easier to spot. 

They're not clones, strictly speaking, but they're definitely cousins.  FNH contracted for the BDA and a lot of the pictures that I found online of the right side of the BDA are marked with the FNH roll mark as well as the Beretta "PB" roll mark and "Made In Italy."

The fact that the 84 is still being produced might make it easier to get replacement parts for than the BDA, which has been out of production for a decade and a half (except for a few custom runs).

Browning BDA 380

Bereta 84

Beretta 84          Browning BDA
Production Years     1977-1977-1997
Weight1.46lbs1.41lbs
OAL6.8"6.8"
Barrel Length3.8"3.8"
Capacity1312
SafetyFrameSlide

Offline small

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 02:05:10 PM »
Hey nice job with the photos. I see the difference more clearly this way. The "Cheetahs" differences to the BDA are more current. I was looking back and forth at some older used ones that have the 84 with the frame cut out, and I'm seeing BDA 380 mags in 13 rounds, so that's what had me thinking they were even closer then cousins maybe brothers  ;)

Do you have any insight as to which might be "better"? Most people have said they are both very well made and other then the safety couldn't tell the two apart. Again this is of the older version of the 84 not the new Cheetah.

I'm leaning hard for the Beretta 84 at this point yet now tat I've been looking I guess they made a .32acp Hmmm never had one of those, ballistic show I'm not giving up much ...Hmmm....

Offline ThatGuy762x51

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 02:04:18 PM »
I do not know anything about them other than that they look real nice.  Especially that browning with the wood grips!