!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: Your Most Expensive or Oldest Firearm:  (Read 2378 times)

Offline Uncle Buck

Your Most Expensive or Oldest Firearm:
« on: July 15, 2011, 08:39:58 AM »
I know a lot of people will not want to post in this topic, so I am OK with that.  (Some people do not want to let anyone know what type(s) of firearms they have.)

I have several layers in my security system (Dogs, alarm system, safes, light sleeper and almost always at home).

I believe my oldest "modern" firearm is my 1964 Winchester 30-30, model 1894.  One of my shotguns may have been made in 1948, but tracking the serial number is hard.

The most expensive pistol I own is a Ruger Vaquero, .45 Colt.

I know the guys who are shooting the AR platform spend more on their rifles than I do, but for what I shoot, these guns are not that  handy.  (Also, 24 years of military service and having to clean that gun has just put me off to it.)  I have shot the AR platform twice since I retired in October of 2004.

GunLink Discussion Forums

Your Most Expensive or Oldest Firearm:
« on: July 15, 2011, 08:39:58 AM »

Offline SharpsShooter

Re: Your Most Expensive or Oldest Firearm:
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 09:17:45 PM »
I have a couple Sharps rifles that are pretty darned old! Circa 1880s or so.  I've got my eyes on a 1863 Calvary Carbine that I'd sure like to have

Offline Uncle Buck

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 10:18:40 AM »
Are the old rifles still safe to shoot?

I knew a guy who had a Damascus Steal shotgun (I believe that is what it was called, it looked like wire wrapped around something to form a barrel and was all welded together) who used it to shoot black-powder shotgun shells.  His son "Borrowed" it and used a modern smokeless powder shell.  Not a pretty sight.

Offline masfonos

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 11:11:10 AM »
WWII era Mosins.  91/30 rifle and M38 carbines.  Without digging them out, I think the dates are '41 and '43 or somewhere around there.

Offline small

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 07:48:04 PM »
Jumping in here.

The oldest I have is a Mauser Mdl 1891 Argentine Mauser made pre-1899 so its antique, I re-barreled it from the 7,65 Argentine (Belgium) to 7x57 Mauser. Pressure levels are about the same. I don't shoot it much but I will reload for it, keeping age in mind when I do. I love the Mauser action, and that one with its exposed mag just looks cool to me. I have several other rifles built on Mauser actions. A husky in 9.3x62 a Yugo in 6.5x55 and ?? in 30-06 (not near them and well hard to keep them all straight.)

The most expensive I have ever had was a LC Smith Specialty Grade Long-range 3" chambers, that was unique in the fact it had only 30" barrels and chances are great it left the factory that way. Maybe a "One-off" as it was common for LC to "build anything within reason" I am very sad I no longer have that, I traded it for another LC and some money, looking back I should have just kept it. Not long after, I sold the other LC Smith, for DMPS AR-15 extra mags and ammo.  At the time we had a house rule that nothing new unless I was willing to give something up. I've since decided the rule needs tweaking. I never used a 12ga in the field only the range and when the range went Steel Shot ONLY b/c of E.P.A. rules it was retired and I thought someone else would appreciate it more. I still have a 16ga and a 20ge both field grades for when I get invited out for Pheasant or Chukar hunts. (not often)

I've been told my fathers Weatherby Pre-Vanguard is worth a pretty penny since it was built by Roy in his garage in Southgate CA on a FN Mauser Action back when he was just starting to make name for himself. That might just bring the biggest check right now out of all others I have.