!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: DRS Re-manufactured ammo  (Read 5627 times)

Offline small

DRS Re-manufactured ammo
« on: June 11, 2011, 09:53:54 PM »
Hey looking around for some stocking up type ammo for when SHTF. I'd been lucky enough to score at a couple of auctions on GB but haven't be able to for sometime as I'm bidding "for a deal". Anyway I found a place online that is selling 1000rnds of .223 reman'd by "DRS" it is supposed to be reloaded from once fired Mil Surp L.C. ammo they say they have been selling it for years with out complaint and its actually pretty accurate from being reman'd using Automatic machines. Price is about $300 for 1000rnds with shipping the few I won were $285, one could say whats $15? but well its $15.

Anybody out there have any experience with this stuff? I'm just looking for something that Always goes pop when the triggers pulled, this stuff need not be match grade, just reliable plinking stuff.

GunLink Discussion Forums

DRS Re-manufactured ammo
« on: June 11, 2011, 09:53:54 PM »

Offline masfonos

Re: DRS Re-manufactured ammo
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 03:21:13 PM »
I don't recall hearing of DRS.  The only remanufactured ammo I can remember using is Ultramax and I never had any problems with that.

Are you opposed to steel cased ammo?  I love Wolf and the "bear" ammos (brown bear, silver bear, golden bear, etc.).  Some people don't like shooting those steel-cased Russian rounds but I've never really had any problems with them.  You can't really go wrong with the price; you can always find a good deal from some place like AIM or Military Shooters.

Offline small

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 11:30:16 PM »
I don't know how against them, steel cases I am, haven't shot any. Had heard they really decrease the life of ejectors and extractors. I don't shot the AR too much so it might not make a difference. Yet since I've even started reloading for .222 I may as well save the .223 brass and reload it. Not much of a saving if any just well like to be GREEN ;)

Offline SharpsShooter

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 10:22:57 PM »
I shoot the steel ammo and so do tons of people that I know.  Guys with FA guns worry about it since they're shootign many many tens of thousands of rounds quickly so it might wear out the chamber.  Then again, with the volume that they shoot they wear barrels out pretty fast and have to replace them anyway.

Long story short, i've never actually seen any problems caused by it.  It's a wives tale AFAIK

Offline 1slickAR15

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 10:41:10 AM »
I've shot some steel ammunition and some remanufactured ammunition and mostly new ammunition, stuff like UMC or winchester.  It all seems pretty much the same to me other than the price and some of it seems more dirty.  Most people I talk to about it seem to say the same thing.  unless you're going for small groups then it does not make that much of a difference.  then again there are the "snobs" that only want the top of the line ammo even if their just plinking at cans and bowling pins.  never heard of DRS though.

Offline Uncle Buck

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 01:45:01 PM »
You hear a lot of complaints about the shellac coating they put on the Warsaw pack ammo, but if you clean your rifle (and chamber) you probably will never have a problem.

Offline masfonos

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 09:16:50 PM »
You hear a lot of complaints about the shellac coating they put on the Warsaw pack ammo, but if you clean your rifle (and chamber) you probably will never have a problem.

I've heard a couple versions of that.  One is that the shellac melts and gums up the chamber.  I've never held sustained fire long enough to do that and I've shot quite a few in a row, but I can see that one being possible.  Another was that the red sealant they put around the primers either gummed up or corroded the bolt face.  I always clean my firearms so the corrosion never has a chance to be an issue so I can't speak to that.  The red stuff does accumulate on the bolt face of an AR15 when shooting the Russian stuff and around the face that the firing pin protrudes from on pistols.  There is more of a chance for it to travel farther in the pistols too since it's not contained by the lip on the AR15 bolt.

I seem to recall the sealant corrosiveness thing being debunked on another gun forum, but I'm not sure.  I think someone contacted either Barnaul or Tula and they said it was just some sort of adhesive/sealant to keep air and moisture from getting around the primer pocket.  Who knows though; I wouldn't leave it sit on a gun for too long anyway but I'm usually a gun clean freak.