!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: Gun Buybacks  (Read 21613 times)

Offline jonbouy00

Re: Gun Buybacks
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2012, 07:38:06 PM »
The Gun Buyback Conspiracy/Bounty Hunters Are After Your Guns via AmericanSurvivor.org

Actually, I don’t believe in “conspiracies” because the world and life is just too complex and unpredictable for any complex “plan” to workout as the conspirators intended.  I do believe in things working out in intended or unintended ways that look like conspiracies.  The case in point here is the so-called gun buy back programs.  The advertised intent of these programs is to get “guns off the streets”.   This program is a result of what I call “the do something syndrome”.  This syndrome takes effect when politicians and community activists are beset by a problem that they cannot actually fix or to which a true solution would be politically incorrect.  They then enact laws and initiate programs that look good but have no actual effect on the problem.  In this case; marches, demonstrations at gun shops and gun by backs that have had zero effect on the murder rates.  The true effect of gun buy back may be an intended conspiracy or just an unintended result of stupid people.

The rest of the story at: http://www.americansurvivor.org/component/content/article/36/115
Jon
The phrase,"common sense" no longer means, common sense.

GunLink Discussion Forums

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2012, 07:38:06 PM »

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2012, 01:06:49 PM »
Brooklyn churches invite gun owners to trade in weapons for $200 bank cards
NY Post

A day after 26 people were shot to death in a Connecticut school, two New York churches have invited gun owners to hand in their weapons — no questions asked.

Two Brooklyn pastors opened their churches Saturday to the city's Gun Buyback program. Anyone can trade in their weapon for a $200 bank card. The transactions are anonymous.
... Read more at link above.

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2013, 06:56:45 PM »
Wonder how they define "success"

Cumberland Co. to host gun buyback

Following the success of several gun buybacks in the state, including one in Atlantic County this March, officials are announcing that Cumberland County will host a gun buyback.
The buybacks are part of a statewide effort to reduce gun violence by taking deadly firearms out of circulation.
turn in as many as three firearms of any type "no questions asked" and receive up to $250 per weapon

Offline ThatGuy762x51

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2013, 10:25:18 PM »
I am glad to see that they are out there keeping us safe.  I wonder if there are any stats on how many guns they buy that are used in crimes or stolen and how many are just somebody that doesn't want it any more.  It would also be interesting to see stats on what they pay vs the value of the guns.

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• GunLink Member
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2013, 10:19:05 PM »
Out of curiousity, how did buybacks get started and when/where was the first one?

Offline crsmithart

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2013, 08:06:29 AM »
I have never seen a gun buyback around here.  Why not hang out nearby and out bid the buyback price by a little on the nicer guns?   ;D

Not sure where Hill_William is from, but you don't see these in Texas, either ... I would love the opportunity to stand outside and pick up a few bargains ... In contrast, Gov. Perry just signed a bill into law in Texas that allows Law Enforcement agencies to sell confiscated guns to FFL holders and put the profits back into their agency

Offline Hill_William

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2013, 09:20:37 AM »
We actually had one here in my area and there was one about 2 hours away from me.  They put both of them on the news and made a big deal about both of them, they had a reporter there ALL DAY checking in every so often.  I dont know what they thought would be worth reporting on but every time it was just like "look at these people lined up.  hey bubba, why are you trading in that evil gun?"  At least I think it was some group that put it on and not paid for with taxes.

Offline Lebowski

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2013, 08:57:49 PM »
I don't know how they get away with those things.  Is everyone (anyone) working at them subject to a BG check? Do they have a dealer license?  Do they run the guns to see if they're stolen so they can be returned to the owner?  There isn't one ounce of good that comes from these things.

The libtards running the show act like guns carry some kind of disease and they're offering a cure by taking them off your hands.
The Dude abides.

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
New Colorado Gun Laws Scuttle Gun Buy Back
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2013, 02:14:10 PM »
Organizers cancel Boulder gun buyback at request of sheriff
Strict new gun law would make event logistically problematic
Brittany Anas
07/24/2013
A stricter law that went into effect July 1 requires buyers to go to a licensed firearms dealer and undergo a background check. The InstaCheck systems used in the checks are not mobile, which means they couldn't be used at the sheriff's compound where the buyback was planned.
Essentially, for the event to work, Pelle said the group would have to find a licensed firearms dealer to host the event and then pay the dealer per transaction.
"Sheriff Pelle has stood strong for this event, has done tremendous work to make it happen and he is as disappointed as we are."
The idea was to collect guns and then immediately hand them over to the Sheriff's Office for destruction. Some of the remnants of the destroyed firearms would then be passed along to Boulder-area metalworking artist Jessica Adams to use for a sculpture aimed at creating gun violence awareness...
(continue reading)

Gun buyback canceled over new Colorado gun laws
10:13 AM, Jul 24, 2013
AP
http://www.9news.com/news/article/346749/188/Gun-buyback-canceled-over-new-Colorado-gun-laws

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2014, 06:37:37 PM »
Graham: Gun buyback lacks aim
2/12/2014
Michael Graham

Do you want to solve problems, or do you want to be a Boston liberal?

Mayor Marty Walsh has made his choice: “Liberal Uber Alles.”

And so we get another whack at the insane “gun buyback program” in response to the shooting death of a 9-year-old in Mattapan, allegedly at the hands of his apparently violent, previously-arrested 14-year-old brother.

Why do I say insane? Because one definition of insanity is “doing the same thing over and over but expecting a different result.” (No, Einstein didn’t say this as far as we know, but he should have.)

Here’s the National Academy of Sciences on gun buyback programs, circa 2004: “[T]he theory underlying gun buybacks is badly flawed and the empirical evidence demonstrates the ineffectiveness of these programs.”

Here is my favorite gun buyback story: When Oakland tried it in 2008
continue reading...

Offline PorkyPascal

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2015, 07:13:48 PM »

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• GunLink Member
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2015, 08:32:29 PM »
Be sure to check out the PopVox thread. There's a piece of legislation proposed for gun buybacks

Offline masfonos

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2015, 07:00:59 PM »
https://popvox.com/bills/us/114/hr307

6% of POPVOX users are blubbering idiots.

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• GunLink Member
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2015, 11:26:11 PM »
what percentage of congress is blubbering idiots?

Offline Lebowski

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2015, 04:56:43 PM »
good job keeping the streets safe with that buyback!

Boston’s Prided Gun Buyback Program Takes One Whole Entire Gun Off The Street This Year

The Walsh administration’s much-touted gun buyback program has taken in just one firearm so far this year — a stunning drop from the more than 400 that came in last year, putting police woefully behind last year’s pace in the overall number of guns they’re removing from the street, a Herald review found

The buyback program started last year after a surge of violence in Boston, and violence continues this year mostly with illegal gun owners. Buyback programs have considerable criticism with people arguing that criminals would rather keep their guns and the intimidation, fear, and street cred they get to push on others than the 100$-200$ they would get from turning them in.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 06:20:48 PM by Lebowski »
The Dude abides.

Offline masfonos

« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2015, 07:27:07 PM »
Knocked it right out of the park with that one.

Offline DrFootball

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2015, 03:44:25 PM »
I guess Chicago and Detroit couldn't bother to tell Boston that those buy backs don't work.......

Offline LoneStarTx

• GunLink Member
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2015, 11:32:56 PM »
Gun buybacks.....huh the police never owned them how could they buy back?

If gun buybacks work to get guns of the street why don't they buyback heroin, meth and cocaine?

Just like all the other crime fighting gun laws they are all not serious about actually arresting criminals and reducing crime.

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• GunLink Member
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2015, 09:06:45 PM »
That's an excellent question. They did a "no questions asked" drug drop off in my area last month...there hasn't been anything in the news about how successful it was. At least, nothing I saw or heard.

maybe because guns aren't illegal and drugs are?  or we choose to own guns and addicts "cant" so there's a better possibility we would spend the money on something other than guns vs an addict spending the money on something other than more drugs?

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• GunLink Member
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2016, 06:09:23 PM »
NYPD has just completed a gun buyback in Harlem, collected 61 guns. People were given a $200 prepaid bank card for operable handguns and assault rifles and $25 for rifles, shotguns and BB guns. If you look at the picture at the top of the article, it appears there is a Hi-Point handgun, which sell for ~$170 and next to it looks a like Jennings or Lorcin, which sell for ~$80.
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/manhattan/nypd-collects-61-guns-harlem-buyback-article-1.2679113

They also did two more earlier in the year.
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/manhattan/nypd-purchases-81-guns-harlem-gun-buyback-article
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/queens/nypd-buys-89-guns-queens-buyback-event-article-1.2604118-1.2628902