!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: Well said Dr. Sowell  (Read 1377 times)

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• GunLink Member
Well said Dr. Sowell
« on: August 12, 2015, 01:01:27 AM »
http://www.lenconnect.com/article/20150810/OPINION/150819947/?Start=1

I came across this opinion piece. Dr. Sowell, currently at Stanford University, holds a Ph.D. in economics and has written a lot of books and articles on education, economics and race/ethnicity.

This article, published on August 10, starts with a wonderful sentence, "Look at the data." Something we all know that the liberals like to fudge.

Most gun control zealots show not the slightest interest in testing empirically their beliefs or assumptions. There have been careful factual studies by various scholars of what happens after gun control laws have been instituted, strengthened or reduced.

But those studies are seldom even mentioned by gun control activists. Somehow they just know that gun restrictions reduce gun crime, no matter how many studies show the opposite. How do they know? Because other like-minded people say so — and say so repeatedly and loudly.

A few gun control advocates may cherry-pick examples of countries with stronger gun control laws than ours that have lower murder rates (such as England) — and omit other countries with stronger gun control laws than ours that have far higher murder rates (such as Mexico, Russia and Brazil).

You don’t test an assumption or belief by cherry-picking examples. Not if you are serious. And if you are not going to be serious about life and death, when are you going to be serious?

While the piece is focusing on problems that are said in the media to be black problems, he then goes on to point on how many other liberal agendas have failed and actually made the problems worse.

I enjoyed the commentary, but I can't help but recall an ESPN interview when RG3 said he voted for Romney and the black commentators questioned his "black-ness" because he was Republican. I wonder if Dr. Sowell has similar experiences.

Why don't people on the left, (poor, rich, white, or black), listen to educated people Dr. Sowell? Don't they hold education up as one of the keys to fix everything? Also, how can they ignore the facts? I honestly just don't get it.

GunLink Discussion Forums

Well said Dr. Sowell
« on: August 12, 2015, 01:01:27 AM »