!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: Current TV  (Read 3086 times)

Offline small

Current TV
« on: November 02, 2011, 08:19:04 PM »
It is no secret I'm a liberal, very liberal, individual and I have no issue admitting it. I'm watching a Cable channel that is called here in Chicagoland "Current TV", and on there they run over and over a Vanguard programs which is IMO a low budget Frontline off PBS.

Tonight they are discussing the gun violence in Mexico. Now I have been doing humanitarian work down there on and off for a few years now, Wow make that five, time flies. I love going there as much to work as to hang out. The areas I go to are very remote and up until this year safety wasn't an "major" issue. a local in the town near by was kidnapped so I guess the violence we hear about happening down there is pretty real.

Anyway they are interviewing people in Wisconsin and they lead in with "...Wisconsin has some of the most relaxed gun laws in the nation". What didn't they just win their right to carry concealed? Open Carry any where but here and where your standing. So the guy they are talking to is showing off an AK-47 with a drum mag, I think he said it held 78 rounds? The interviewer asks about fears Obama might take his guns. he said he was. Then he goes on to say that the AK's are some of the favorite rifle of the Mexican cartel and that many. many people are dieing because of Lax laws in the US. The Wisconsinite said that's Mexico's problem. To me it begs the question. Why don't we have the same Gun Crime here in the US if its so easy to get guns? I mean if the laws are so lax why aren't people here shooting at each other for More drug turf. I know it happens in the city and life expectancy for gang bangers is what 28? But in Juarez they are averaging 20+ deaths a day, so the show said. That's one town. it is bad through out the country. A country with some of the strictest gun laws in the World. If I understand it No One can have any type of gun.

Again I guess I'm just amazed that the after all this time (GCA1968) some people still don;t get that its the criminals not the guns that are the problem. Sorry just ranting in no real direction just don't feel like yelling at the TV.

GunLink Discussion Forums

Current TV
« on: November 02, 2011, 08:19:04 PM »

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
Re: Current TV
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 08:30:43 PM »
***WARNING***

Potentially graphic video showing Mexican cartel violence.

Embedding a trailer for the program.  Is this the one you're talking about?

You pretty much nail it when you say "some people still don;t get that its the criminals not the guns that are the problem"

Also, see "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life"
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 08:47:56 PM by GunLink »

Offline small

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 02:11:59 PM »
That is the show. I believe some one mentioned that they showed a Browning Air Cooled 50 cal Machine gun that was confiscated before it hit Mexico. When the reporter asked what that is used for he said our troops use it Iraq. I don;t think so but maybe, he also went on when asked about ease of buying and he said show up to a Gun Show with Cash and buy as many as you want. I noticed some slick editing there and I'm certain he was talking of Semi Auto AR's and such. I do not believe that one can buy a Machine gun at a Gun show with out a significant Background check that allowed them a class 3 FFL and a $200 tax stamp so they know where the Gun is at. Again the way they tried to make it sound was show up and place your money down. They followed a Guy who bought gun after gun and even alluded to the fact he might not pass a criminal background check. The seller said were not to worried about that.

I'm amazed by it all. So much so there is a Gun Show this weekend and I plan to go for the first time and I'm bringing Cash!   

Offline masfonos

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 02:53:32 PM »
The M2HB (aka Ma Deuce) is a Browning designed, .50BMG, air-cooled MG that's used all over the place, including in Iraq by US troops.  AFAIK, if it was made before 86, it ought to be transferable to Joe American.  Manufactured after that, it would have to be transferable from SOT to SOT.  There are probably semiauto clones out there too that a tv show with an agenda wouldn't hesitate to label as a MG.

I don't doubt that they edit it so as to choose bits and pieces that suit their agenda (whether that agenda is anti-gun, promoting ignorance, or spouting what they think will keep up ratings -- often it's all three).  That sort of nonsense goes pretty far with the average viewer to further the myth of the existence of a so-called "gun show loophole."  It also wouldn't surprise me a bit, judging from the ignorance I've heard spewed at gun shop counters and fun shows, if that's how the interviewee thinks things work.  Or maybe he just got an ATF Gun Runner special.  The process of buying NFA items is pretty clear cut.  I don't think it's tremendously difficult but it certainly isn't cash and carry.

Have fun at the gun show and let us know if you find anything good.  Those places are full of ears that don't have a shred of a sense of humor between them though, so don't even joke with the dealers about converting semi autos to full auto, not passing a background check, being a bad guy, being from out of state, etc. to see their reaction.

Offline small

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 05:46:12 PM »
masfonos I hear you about cracking jokes. A friend went in to buy his first firearm A Mossberg defender or persuader or some such. While filling out the form he just "Joked" yea I'm mentally unstable or whatever the wording is when it asks if your nuts. He said how the hell would a piece of paper know if I lied anyway. The guy said I'm sorry, I take this serious, since owning a gun is serious, and I'm not selling to you, good bye. That was it no hey just joking to bring in some levity nothing like that just get out.

So I know it does happen.

I have also been in stores where a guy will point to a gun in the case his "Girl" will then ask the guy behind the counter to see it she will hold it and he'll nod. Point to another she'll hold it and he'll nod. See in IL unless you have a FOID no way will they even let you touch a gun she had hers he did not. She Paid cash for two the clerk said I'll have to flag/report since you are buying more then one handgun at a time. She said what if I wait and buy the other when I pick up the first.(IL 72hr cool down) NO problem so long as they are not on the same day. That gun shop closed very quickly, yet how many guns made it out on the street arming gang bangers?

About what you hear over the counter is also a issue. I have heard/seen and then been told that you cannot have loaded mags in the same area as the handgun. When I say no that isn't really true so long as the mag is not in the gun then the Gun is considered unloaded and therefore cool. Again they argue and another Victims is born. That was the owner of the store saying this. He must train his employees the same way. When I went to use their range one day they wanted to check I had only "lead free" ammo and when I opened my case and it had a loaded mag I took the cartridges out, he had me to put them in my car so I wouldn't use them on the range. When I went back inside, he asked to see my LEO ID? I said what for? The range is public. He said unless I was LEO I was in violation of the law for carrying a loaded handgun. I said first off it wasn't loaded the mag was out of the gun and second what law says I can't carry the way it was. His retort while smiling (missing 1/2 a front tooth) the Gun Control Act of 1963. I said 63 you mean 68 he said NO 63 they made the law after Kennedy was Shot and he was shot in 63. I said yes after he was shot but it was in 68 and It says nothing about how I carry in Illinois. I then left, leaving several boxes of "Lead Free" ammo and two used mags for my BHP ($75). A friend said I should send him my receipts for everything I buy from now on that I could have bought from him with a note say b/c you give such good advice.   

Offline masfonos

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 11:36:50 PM »
I hope we're not derailing your topic :)

I don't know what the state law says about the definition of "loaded" vs "unloaded" is in IL, but I know that IL doesn't have preemption of local gun laws and some localities have different definitions.  For example, Aurora Municipal code Chapter 29 - OFFENSES—MISCELLANEOUS ARTICLE III. - OFFENSES AGAINST OR ENDANGERING THE PERSON Sec. 29-50. - Unlawful storage of ammunition and firearms. (b) (3) says :  Loaded firearm means a firearm in which there is an unexpended cartridge or shell, consisting of a case that holds a charge of powder or a bullet or shot, in or attached in any manner to the firearm, including, but not limited to, in the firing chamber, magazine or clip thereof attached to the firearm

An IL state police handout about gun laws says "The location of ammunition being transported, including ammunition being transported in loaded magazines, is not regulated as long as the firearm is unloaded and encased, and the resident possessing the firearm holds a
valid FOID card."

I know in some places it's defined by the state in bizarre ways.  I think that in Ohio a loaded magazine in a car is considered a loaded firearm; I don't remember if you even have to have the gun in the vehicle with you.   ::)  Other states say it's unloaded if there's no round in the chamber, even if there's a loaded magazine in the gun.

Who knows, maybe he was thinking of some local ordinance.  Could be he had a customer, cop, lawyer or what have you from some location tell him about their law and now he tells everyone that it's the supreme law of the land.  It's ridiculous that they leave the laws so ambiguous and varied from place to place like they do.  Regulate things in such a manner for so long and people will just give up, giving you a de facto ban.

With so much confusion and misinformation like this out there, it's no wonder that TV shows like the one you posted can get away with saying some nonsense like "Heck, me n billy bob kin head on down to the furr grounds n buy us a pickup truck load a machine guns" and have people believe that's the way it works along the border.

Offline small

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 08:56:30 PM »
It's ridiculous that they leave the laws so ambiguous and varied from place to place like they do
Ain't that the truth. Even where laws are more accommodating its hard to know. My CC license from PA allows carrying like 28 states and each one has what seems like different rules. I kind of dislike the idea of a National law but I think that once it becomes complete with all 50 states there then needs to be some form of rules the need to be made universal. To make it easy I say open or concealed for anyone over 18 that isn't, on the list in the Fed Form when you buy will do, makes it pretty easy.