!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: A Dozen Years Since 9/11 - Where were you? What has changed?  (Read 5768 times)

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
A Dozen Years Since 9/11 - Where were you? What has changed?
« on: September 11, 2013, 07:41:36 AM »
Today is the 12th anniversary of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon, which was directly responsible for the deaths of 3,000 Americans and many, many more casualties in the aftermath and ensuing wars. 

In the weeks (and years) following the attacks, "Never Forget" became the mantra of many. 

Where were you during the attacks?  What were you doing?  12 years later, what has changed (politically, personally, etc.)?

« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 10:13:14 PM by GunLink »

GunLink Discussion Forums

A Dozen Years Since 9/11 - Where were you? What has changed?
« on: September 11, 2013, 07:41:36 AM »

Offline masfonos

Re: A Dozen Years Since 9/11 - Where were you? What has changed?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 10:42:51 AM »
I remember it very clearly. Normal day, getting ready for my first class. One of the guys in the dorm was watching FNC and was a disturbed over whatever he was watching. This guy was wound pretty tight to begin with; an AF washout who was really politically minded and already high strung, so him being upset at the news wasn't a surprise.

Turned into a pretty strange day. Then a strange 12 years.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 02:28:11 PM by masfonos »

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 10:57:56 AM »
Found this that was posted on the 10-year...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlaGc2huCJg[/youtube]

This ordinary stainless steel revolver was carried by New York police officer Walter Weaver into the World Trade Center as he risked his life to save others on September 11, 2001. He never made it out that day, but his revolver was later recovered from the ashes. Officer Weaver's family donated the gun to the NRA National Firearms Museum, where it now holds a place of honor as a reminder of the law enforcement officers who put their lives on the line daily. It's an ordinary firearm that stands as a symbol of extraordinary bravery.

Offline Lebowski

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 12:02:51 PM »
I guess the Million Muslim Marchers remember the date, right?
The Dude abides.

Offline JammGear

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
    • Best of the best tactical gear and boots
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 09:11:00 PM »
I was in JROTC my sophmore year.    On a side note is that picture the same one Sarah Palin is being sued over?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

http://jammgear.com/
http://tacticalfl.com

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 10:14:19 PM »
Hadn't heard about that.   :o
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 01:31:03 AM by GunLink »

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• GunLink Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 03:20:30 PM »
I was in AP English Lit class when a 10th grade english teacher came in and said something about a plane crash in NY to our teacher. 10 minutes into class, the principal came on the loud speaker and said that teachers planning to use TVs throughout the day should change their lesson plans. No TVs today. My band teacher didn't listen, he put on the news for us instead of having marching band practice. Turns out we had a student who's uncle was a pilot for United, so she started freaking out and other who had family that worked in the WTC. It was a terrible day.

Offline JammGear

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 09:24:20 PM »
Why did the principle not want to inform the students?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• GunLink Member
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 11:31:46 PM »
Why did the principle not want to inform the students?

I'm assuming he didn't want students to panic and he wanted us to be able to do school work. He never actually said what his reasons were to the students.

Offline JammGear

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 09:34:30 PM »
He should not try to filter the info his students receive. It will forever be a part of history and the principle should have let the students live in the moment. Just my opinion.

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• GunLink Member
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 09:18:48 PM »
I agree as well. I would have been less stressed leading up to band practice if I knew what was going on. I do remember, vaguely, now that I'm thinking about it. The plane that crashed in VA, actually changed it's course over my hometown. Apparently, some passengers were frantically dialing phones, and a girl in one of my classes checked her voice mail during lunch and she had a message from someone on the plane that miss-dialed. FBI and everyone showed up at the school.

Offline jonbouy00

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 09:16:25 AM »
Business meeting at work. They succeeded in causing grief. Which is pretty much all they do why they have so little. How quickly the U.S. forgets.
Since then I have retired, well semi-retired. With this "clown" in office, may have to go back full time. If I had the means we would move outside the borders but instead stay, suffer & fight I guess. Just sad for America.
Jon
The phrase,"common sense" no longer means, common sense.