!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: Tornado?  (Read 5011 times)

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• GunLink Member
Tornado?
« on: August 26, 2016, 05:21:12 PM »
Indiana was hit with 9 tornadoes in one night earlier this week. http://cbs4indy.com/2016/08/26/wednesdays-storm-spawned-eight-tornadoes-nws-says/

One of the tornadoes was an EF3 - which pretty much means wind speed of at least 135 and up to 165 miles per hour.  How do you even prepare that? According to the weather service, that's enough to destroy a well constructed home. I know alerting has gotten better over the years, but that's still a very powerful force of nature. How concerned are you about tornadoes?  do you take any special precautions during tornado season?

GunLink Discussion Forums

Tornado?
« on: August 26, 2016, 05:21:12 PM »

Offline masfonos

Re: Tornado?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 08:03:45 AM »
I've got weather radios and stuff like that for early warnings, alerts coming to my cell phone, etc.  While it's not like a hurricane where you have days worth of notice, they *usually* don't just pop up out of nowhere, they're often accompanied by other severe weather, t-storms, etc.  If there are other severe weather indicators, use your head and try to avoid unfamiliar areas or, at a minimum, familiarize yourself with where you are and pay attention to your surroundings so that you have an idea of where to seek shelter if something like that happens. 

There are resources available to help train people for what to look for and how to understand what is going on with the weather.  The NWS weather spotter training is a good thing to take for interested people. http://www.nws.noaa.gov/training/wxspot.php

I used to work with a guy who was at his kid's soccer game when a tornado touched down right at the school.  It wasn't even a very powerful one but he said it was terrifying and he never wanted to see another one. 

Offline DieselDude

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 11:46:22 AM »
One of the tornadoes was an EF3 - which pretty much means wind speed of at least 135 and up to 165 miles per hour.  How do you even prepare that? According to the weather service, that's enough to destroy a well constructed home.

thats what basements and cellars are for

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• GunLink Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 10:23:16 PM »
Unfortunately, in my location, basements and cellars are not common because of the proximity to a river.  we need to move to the center of the house in the event of a warning. Still scary.

Offline JantatiParaka

• GunLink Member
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 02:39:05 AM »
of the proximity to a river.  we need to move to the center of the