!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: Oklahoma & Kentucky get permitless concealed carry - Now Ohio to vote on it  (Read 4984 times)

Offline TheHarleyB

• GunLink Member
Oklahoma governor Kevin Stitt signed the Constitutional Carry bill which will go into effect in November. The Kentucky Constitutional Carry bill passed the General Assembly and is on the way to Kentucky governor Matt Bevin, who said he is going to sign it (of course). Even though OK passed theirs first, it doesn't go into effect until November so KY will be the 15th state to allow CCW without a permit and OK will be the 16th unless someone else sneaks in ahead of them.

http://time.com/5540669/oklahoma-governor-gun-permitless-constitutional-carry/

https://www.whas11.com/article/news/politics/constitutional-carry-bill-passes-out-of-kentucky-house-heads-to-gov-bevins-desk/417-f3a45b65-05b7-49e2-913f-db0c71544f5c

The MSM news is up in arms about how terrible it is, but NRA did an article about the OK bill - https://www.nraila.org/articles/20190227/oklahoma-enacts-constitutional-carry-law
I don't see one for KY yet, they'll probably post something once the governor signs it.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 10:08:33 AM by TheHarleyB »

GunLink Discussion Forums

Offline masfonos

Hell yes! 😁

Unless otherwise specified in the bill, KY laws go into effect 90 days after the end of the current KYGA session, which is the end of this month, so it should be going by the end of June. I saw a couple articles that said December, but I think they're wrong.

Offline database01

• GunLink Member
Bad idea. Going to have all kinds of wackos carrying around guns and someone’s going to get hurt. No training, no background check. Crazy! Keep it to licensed responsible people!

Offline masfonos

Bad idea. Going to have all kinds of wackos carrying around guns and someone’s going to get hurt. No training, no background check. Crazy! Keep it to licensed responsible people!

😂😂😂

Not sure if serious...

15 of the 16 constitutional carry states already allow open carry without a permit. The last count that I saw is 31 states allowing OC without a permit. Guess what... they're not knee deep in blood from "all kinds of wackos carrying around guns." The opposite is true.

It is your opinion that having a shirt covering the firearm is all of a sudden going to wreak havoc? Or is it your opinion that all those states are wrong and the citizens there should not be allowed to exercise their right to carry a firearm?

Do you currently have a CCW permit?

Offline TheHarleyB

• GunLink Member
KY governor signed it so it will go into effect in about 3 months. There are still idiots going on about the training and background check BS.

One of the Moms Morons Demand Action useful idiots that argued against it during the hearings was bawling about her poor little angel that got shot in a park while playing basketball... "caught in the crossfire" between two groups of 15 year olds.  And, obviously, passing this bill will mean more groups of 15 year olds carrying guns.

Offline database01

• GunLink Member
No. I do not have a carry permit and I do not carry a gun although I own several. If I did want to carry a gun I would take the required classes to get training and learn the laws and I would carry it concealed, not out in the open. The fact that some states allow open carry without a permit does not make things any better.

Yet another aspect of all this is that when police pull someone over it pops up and lets them know that the person has a gun permit. Allowing people to carry without that extra level of safety puts officers in the position of stopping people without knowing if they have a gun or not. Gee, how could that go wrong? Just trust the people, especially the ones with bad intent, to let the officer know that they have a gun? NOT LIKELY!

Offline masfonos

Again, not sure if serious. No actual experience with the available classes or with carrying a firearm but you want everyone else to carry "your way"?

A cop (or anyone else for that matter) who has to deal with people in a potentially adversarial interaction would be foolish to assume that the other person is NOT armed. Best practices aside, some states require a "duty to inform" police that you're carrying and some don't. Carry permit or not, legal or not, Constitutional Carry laws or not, bad guys probably aren't going to admit they have guns. Constitutional carry doesn't magically put guns into the hands of bad guys, doesn't make it legal for felons to own or carry firearms, and in the grand scheme of things doesn't really change anything other than not forcing people to sit through a useless class and pay the state for permission to exercise their rights.  I can just about guarantee that almost everyone would probably be better served using a full day's worth of hours and couple hundred extra bucks for ammo and range time or a real training course instead of the paperwork fee and state-mandated "training" classes.

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• GunLink Member

The state laws already limit to licenses to people who can legally own a firearm.  This does not change.  Not taking the class does not mean you get a free pass on the laws on where you can and can’t carry.  Ignorance is not a defense. Basically nothing will change except people who can’t necessarily find the time to take the class can now exercise a constitutional right. 

Some may argue that requiring a license to exercise a constitutional right is a violation of your rights because the government can’t require a license for a right. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Gunz

• Industry Member
  • Louisville-based FFL dealer
    • Gunz Inc.
We think it's a great thing 🤷‍♂️

Everyone has the right and should have the opportunity to protect themselves.

We do hope that people do take the time to learn about Kentucky state laws concerning concealed carry and use of force as well as familiarizing themselves with their firearms and how to use them safely and effectively.

http://kentuckystatepolice.org/ccdw/ccdw-home/

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/ky-gun-laws/

Remember that the new law allows anyone who would be eligible for a Kentucky CCDW permit (21+, not a prohibited person) to carry in the same manner (same allowed places, same not-allowed places) without a permit. There are still off-limit places and permitless-CCDWers will not enjoy other benefits of CCDW holders such as reciprocity with other states or the ability to produce the CCDW license in lieu of a Brady FBI NICS background check.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 07:18:40 PM by Gunz »
(502) 935-GUNZ
10970 Dixie Hwy
Louisville, KY
www.GunzInc.com
Facebook
Twitter

Offline TheHarleyB

• GunLink Member
An Ohio House committee has scheduled a vote on legislation allowing individuals to carry concealed weapons without having to receive training, undergo a background check or obtain a license.

The House Federalism Committee meets Wednesday on the bill sponsored by Rep. Ron Hood of Ashville and Rep. Thomas Brinkman Jr., of Cincinnati, both Republicans.

The measure would eliminate requirements that people carrying a concealed weapon notify law enforcement officers when stopped and says officers no longer will have grounds to search or detain an “otherwise law-abiding person” for carrying a firearm.

Gov. Mike DeWine’s spokesman said the Republican governor supports law-abiding people’s right to carry firearms but wouldn’t comment on the bill.

The FOP and the Ohio Association of Chiefs of Police oppose the legislation.

https://woub.org/2019/06/19/ohio-house-committee-to-vote-on-conceal-carry-legislation/

Offline MutantMaker

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
Do the police ever support these bills?

Offline masfonos

Do the police ever support these bills?

Of course not. At least not in major cities and not when there's a camera or microphone around. THE STREETS WILL RUN RED WITH BLOOD! There are plenty of level headed LEOs out there who support it, but they're usually sheriffs or small town cops that you won't hear from or city cops too afraid of union repercussions from supporting it.

The Kentucky bill had several cops (and maybe feds too?) standing up at the hearings to show their ass and say how allowing CCDW in its current form (21+ years old, non prohibited persons, off-limit places still off-limits) would mean that 15 year old felons would be carrying unlicensed stolen guns in prohibited places. And the hand wringing parents there too lapping it up.

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• GunLink Member
I think the police, not all but a lot, forget that they are civilians too. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TheHarleyB

• GunLink Member
Can't find much more info on the Ohio constitutional carry bill HB178. The legislature page just says "re-referred" a couple times as the last status. This is the most recent article I can find from last Saturday that says it's on hold, but I thought I heard that it passed and just needed the gov's signature:

https://theohiostar.com/2019/06/27/as-ohios-constitutional-carry-bill-is-approved-by-the-house-federalism-committee-its-survival-remains-dubious/

Newspapers are running with editorials about dangerous and bad it is
https://www.cleveland.com/letters/2019/05/house-bill-178-eliminating-ohios-concealed-carry-permits-will-make-gun-violence-worse-letter-to-the-editor.html
https://www.dispatch.com/opinion/20190610/column-no-police-will-have-harder-time-distinguishing-bad-guys

🤞🤞