!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: Survival type question  (Read 5229 times)

Offline jonbouy00

Survival type question
« on: September 16, 2012, 07:22:12 PM »
If the situation came to be that you were in a survival type situation, what would be your ONE pick for a gun/weapon or whatever you want to call it? What caliber would you choose? Would you pick a popular caliber so ammo would be available, or would you pick a caliber that no one else would want? Would you pick a .22 for ease of carry, quiet, or something larger for more effectiveness 9mm or larger, rifle, shotgun?
I am interested in gun knowledgeable people's thoughts. Just your basic thoughts, pretty simply, on what you would choose and a little about your reasoning. I know there are a ton of variables, where, how long etc, but just make a choice like you would have to running out the door with little time.
Jon
The phrase,"common sense" no longer means, common sense.

GunLink Discussion Forums

Survival type question
« on: September 16, 2012, 07:22:12 PM »

Offline 1slickAR15

Re: Survival type question
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 08:41:54 PM »
I think a AR style SBR chambered for 5.56 would be a good choice.  Ammo, magazines and replacement parts should be pretty easy to come by from mil or civilian sources. 5.56 and .223 would both work in it so there is some flexibility.  SBR would be lighter than a rifle or carbine but probably still more accurate and potent than a pistol.  Short barrel would make it easy to transport and use in tight quarters but still effective at longer ranges than pistol.  5.56 is a good all around caliber that would be good for hunting and protection and other scenarios you might find in survival situations.  Like you said though there are alot of variables but I think that would be a good choice to grab for some unknown survival situation.

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 10:13:32 PM »
Excellent discussion.  We're actually currently pondering adding a survival / training / prepping board to the forums.  Seeing topics like this makes us think that such a board would find a welcome home on GunLink.

EDIT:  Obviously, this board has come to fruition.  Topic has been moved with OP's approval.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 12:45:04 PM by GunLink »

Offline jonbouy00

@1slickAR
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 09:07:08 AM »
I agree with your logic.
What would you see as disadvantages to the SBR (short barrel rifle) in 5.56, for example it would be kind of noisy.
I am not sure if it would be better to have a common caliber that many others would have (or if that would be a disadvantage) or would it be better to have an uncommon caliber, that most would not have or want?
Availability of ammo is the idea, but if many have it, how available will it be? The uncommon caliber may be more difficult to get, but would it be just more difficult to get, or go to impossible if SHTF?
Closest thing I have would be a stainless mini-14. Kind of strange because the stamp on the rifle says 223. The manual says 5.56? 1 manual for many models? It was purchased back when there was little difference in the two calibers.
Thanks for the post. Seriously thinking about upgrading.  ;D
Jon

Offline jonbouy00

Kel Tec Sub 2000
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 05:03:10 PM »
Any thoughts on this? Not familiar with Kel Tec. Thought it would be good that it would use my Glock mags.
http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/rifles/sub-2000/
Jon

Offline TAMU71a

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 01:12:40 AM »
i think a .410 shotgun would be ideal. the shotgun would be great for taking small game plus they make good defense rounds for .410.  Between shot shells, pdx shells, and slugs .410 covers alot of ground and would hold it's own in SHTF

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 12:58:14 PM »
American Rifleman did this a couple years ago.  They came up with an Armalite AR-10 carbine with some extra goodies on it.

Here are the specs from the Armalite website with an MSRP of close to $1600:

Caliber: .308/7.62 X 51mm NATO
Barrel: 16" Double Lapped, Chrome Lined, Threaded 5/8x24, 4140 Steel
Rifling Twist: RH 1:11.25" 150-175 Grain Ammo
Muzzle Device: Flash Suppressor
Front Sight Base: Picatinny Rail Gas Block. Top of gas block is .398 (+/- .010) lower than top of receiver
Upper Receiver: Forged Flat Top Receiver with Picatinny Rail and Forward Assist 7175-T74 Aluminum
Lower Receiver: 7175-t73 Aluminum (forged)
Trigger: Tactical Two Stage, 1st Stage 3.5 lbs - 2nd Stage Approximately 5-6 lbs.
Overall Length: 35" / 38.25"
Weight: 7.75 lbs
Finish: Anodized Aluminum Upper/Lower Receiver, Manganese Phosphated Steel Barrel
Accuracy: 2 - 2 1/2" MOA

Coincidentally, the article, which suggested an exact model number, came out shortly after Armalite pushed their press release for the introduction of that exact model number.  Just sayin'...

See the article for more info, along with the author's reasoning behind the choice.

Offline masfonos

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 01:33:00 PM »
An AR10 seems awfully heavy.  Almost 8lbs not counting optics, ammo, accessories, etc which I guess would add around another lb or two.  On the other hand, for most situations I doubt that many people would accuse you of not bringing enough gun.

Of course if you knew what the situation was going to be you could cater your tools (including guns) to that situation.  For a general purpose survival gun, a 12 or 20 gauge shotgun with something like a PolyChoke on it would make a great gun.  You would be able to fire a variety of projectiles like different sizes of birdshot for small game hunting, buckshot and slugs for bigger game or defense and the polychoke would let you vary your pattern to suit the situation.  Another plus is that decent tough shotguns are relatively cheap to buy and there are all sorts of accessories like saddles to hold more shells, folding and collapsing stocks, lights, forward grips, aiming devices, etc.  Plus, if you've got time to set up a bug out bag that you're grabbing too, there are special loads like signal flares, "bird bombs," etc. that you can shoot out of shotguns.  There are even chamber adapters to shoot other gauges/calibers out of shotguns, although I've never used one and they seem like they might be more of a novelty than something that's really useful.

Offline jonbouy00

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 08:58:48 PM »
shotguns have a lot of versatility. Good for providing game and personal defense. Also the pump is very reliable and tough. The shotgun typically isn't real heavy, it can be but mostly not. The ammo is heavy and they aren't very quiet.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts. I am still undecided, but have some things to think about.
Jon