!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: Pistol Correction Chart Targets  (Read 107876 times)

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
Pistol Correction Chart Targets
« on: July 18, 2011, 12:27:54 PM »
Ever shoot your handgun and get perfect groups...just not where you want them?  If you're having trouble hitting the bullseye, don't jump right to blaming the pistol and don't give up just yet.  Many things can affect how you shoot your handgun including your grip, your stance, breathing, flinching or any number of other things.

While not guaranteed to improve your pistol shooting abilities, we've had good results using pistol correction chart targets like those below to help diagnose and correct bad habits related to pistol shooting.  The charts are derived from data in the United States Army Marksmanship Training Unit Manual, The UIT (now ISSF) Pistol Book by John Chandler and the Target Pistol Shot Analysis documents from Target Shooting Canada.

For right-handed shooters, the gist of the chart is:

If your round is hitting high-center, your wrist may be breaking upward as you fire.  Be sure to keep your wrist firm.

If your round is hitting low-center, your wrist may be breaking downward as you fire or you may be pushing forward or drooping your head as you fire.

If your round is hitting center-left, you may be using too little of your trigger finger.  Many agree that a good trigger finger placement is to have the trigger at your distal joint (the joint between the pads of your fingertip and mid-finger).

If your round is hitting center-right, you may be using too much trigger finger or you could be "thumbing" the pistol.  Many agree that a good trigger finger placement is to have the trigger at your distal joint (the joint between the pads of your fingertip and mid-finger).  Also be sure not to try to squeeze the pistol grip too firmly with the thumb of your trigger hand.

If your round is hitting high-left, you may be pushing the pistol in anticipation of recoil or may not be following through on your shot.  Be sure to keep your wrist firm enough to account for recoil but not so firm that your muscles move the gun before/during/after the shot.  Also, remember to keep proper form and grip throughout the shot.

If your round is hitting high-right, you may be heeling in anticipation of the handgun's recoil.  See note above.

If your round is hitting low-left (around 8 o'clock), you may be tightening your fingers too much as you fire the pistol.  Hold your hand straight out in front of you and fold your fingers back and press the pads of your fingertips onto the heel of your hand.  Generally, your hand will try to move slightly toward the inside of your wrist as your muscles tighten.  You can see how this could be problematic.

If your round is hitting lower-left (around 7 o'clock), you may be jerking or slapping the trigger during your shot.  Make sure that your trigger pull is smooth and deliberate.

If your round is hitting low-right, you may be tightening your grip during your trigger pull.  Hold your hand straight out in front of you and clench your fist.  Generally, your hand will try to move slightly outward as you clench more tightly.  You can imagine why this would be a problem and your rounds could end up here.

For left handed shooters, the above pattern would be a mirror image.

The targets are available below as PDFs, both with and without scoring rings, and are suitable for printing.

Right handed pistol correction chart with scoring rings

Right handed pistol correction chart without scoring rings

Left handed pistol correction chart with scoring rings

Left handed pistol correction chart without scoring rings

« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 09:42:28 AM by GunLink »

GunLink Discussion Forums

Pistol Correction Chart Targets
« on: July 18, 2011, 12:27:54 PM »

Offline Uncle Buck

Re: Pistol Correction Chart Targets
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 02:21:07 PM »
I printed this out and am going to put it in my reloading binder.  I am sure it will help when I am teaching new people to shoot.

(Of course, I never need it myself.... ;))

Offline masfonos

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 11:09:11 AM »
Printed.  Was going to go to the range to try them out but we're in the middle of major car woes :(

Offline 1slickAR15

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 11:41:06 AM »
I don't need these, I am a perfect shot!

*printing*  :D

Offline small

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 10:11:50 PM »
Remember seeing this many many years ago before I became an expert shot like the rest here. I figure I'll print it to just for reference and to help others less fortunate.

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 10:38:08 PM »
Glad to see these are getting some use.

Don't forget to post an AAR with pics and let us know if they help you!   :)

Offline 1slickAR15

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 08:40:51 AM »
Glad to see these are getting some use.

Don't forget to post an AAR with pics and let us know if they help you!   :)

They helped me!  I kept hitting in either "tightening fingers" or "jerking trigger"

I worked on not doing that and started hitting in the middle

Offline ThatGuy762x51

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 10:33:14 AM »
Do these really work?

Offline Keeping the Piece

• Industry Member
  • marketplace
  • Equipping & Empowering Women in Central KY
    • Keeping the Piece
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 08:03:27 PM »
Do these really work?

I have found that they help with my students.  I can stand beside them, watch their hands, and tell whether they're jerking the trigger, relaxing too soon, or milking the gun, which seem to the most common errors with my ladies.  I can tell them what they're doing and work with them on smooth trigger press and follow-thru...but for some reason, seeing the results on these targets hits home with them and sort of 'proves' what I've been telling them all along. 

So, for whatever it's worth, I think they're helpful.  The ones I've been using are from L.E. Targets, but they seem to be the same diagram.

Offline 1slickAR15

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 01:52:24 AM »
i shot some of these targets and when I payed attention to what I was doing it matched up with what the target said i was doing.  fixing the problem that the target suggested helped my shooting.  Some of those types of bad habits are hard to break and i just would go back to doing it again a little later.  I guess that is the point of practice

Offline GrumpsteR

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 10:32:46 AM »
these have been such big help that i had 2 register an let you know that we really appreciate these targets.  great for training!

great forum keep up the good work

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 03:28:41 PM »
Great discussion going on in the comments section of the blog post for these targets about reducing the size to simulate shooting them at a distance.

Offline crsmithart

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 08:13:45 AM »
Thanks for the resource ... very helpful

Offline JammGear

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
    • Best of the best tactical gear and boots
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2013, 10:37:15 PM »
Thank you! Printing
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

http://jammgear.com/
http://tacticalfl.com

Offline Fanarin

• GunLink Member
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2017, 01:04:10 AM »
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 08:17:59 AM by GunLink »

Offline Prada

• GunLink Member
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2017, 12:24:57 PM »
Thank you for the useful thread... >:(

Offline JulesK

• GunLink Member
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2017, 07:53:27 AM »
If your round is hitting low-right, you may be tightening your grip during your trigger pull.  Hold your hand straight out in front of you and clench your fist.  Generally, your hand will try to move slightly outward as you clench more tightly.  You can imagine why this would be a problem and your rounds could end up here.

For left handed shooters, the above pattern would be a mirror image.

That's me in a nutshell. I'm gonna try and stop my hand from moving outwards so much.

Offline uberhop

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2017, 02:07:08 PM »
Printing some to shoot at later this week.  Thank you for these.

Offline uberhop

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2017, 12:32:31 PM »
Printing some to shoot at later this week.  Thank you for these.
These worked good at the range

Offline Matthewegordon

• GunLink Member
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2019, 01:22:39 AM »
Hii

Thanks for sharing it.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 01:24:55 AM by Matthewegordon »