!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: Police cover up officer's gun crime, ATF ignores situation?  (Read 4177 times)

Offline 1slickAR15

Police cover up officer's gun crime, ATF ignores situation?
« on: August 02, 2011, 08:39:06 AM »
I don't get it...The ATF was so quick to crucify Olofson for a malfunctioning rifle that they "helped along."  They indite Gesty for telling people how to make automatics. I guess it may still be in the works (most definitely since the story has broken) but I haven't heard a peep about this guy in Philly who stole automatic rifle parts from police weapons and replaced them with semi auto parts.

Police concealed cop's gun crime, sources say
August 01, 2011|BY DAVID GAMBACORTA

Officer Anthony Magsam was in a world of trouble. It was August 2009, police sources said, and the young cop with high-ranking relatives in the Police Department had just tearfully confessed to stealing parts from two automatic weapons from the department's Firearms Identification Unit.

He found a measure of comfort from his boss, Lt. Vincent Testa, the commanding officer of the unit.

Rather than reporting Magsam, who allegedly committed a federal crime punishable by up to 10 years in prison, Testa agreed to quietly transfer him to another unit and not to report the theft, according to numerous sources with direct knowledge of the incident.

The rest of the article is at the link above

GunLink Discussion Forums

Police cover up officer's gun crime, ATF ignores situation?
« on: August 02, 2011, 08:39:06 AM »

Offline Uncle Buck

Re: Police cover up officer's gun crime, ATF ignores situation?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 01:05:54 PM »
I guess it really is about who you know.

Offline masfonos

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 01:15:01 PM »
I guess it really is about who you know.

I guess so.  It's good to have relatives in high places.

Although, in all fairness and as I saw mentioned on another forum, it's not the local PD's job to enforce the NFA.  I can't believe they didn't nail him on the theft charges though, if not rat him out to the ATF.

Offline mobius

• MOLON LABE
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 01:57:56 PM »
Ah well, He's an "Only One" so what do you expect.
Fred
MOLON LABE  .03

Offline Muleman

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 10:44:09 AM »
This is a perfect example of the problems in America.  Those SWORN to uphold the law, DON'T. And then, when they are outed, they are protected by their own. Yet, you wonder, would officer Smegma ever give you a break?
Muleman the Neighsayer

Offline masfonos

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 11:55:31 AM »
This is a perfect example of the problems in America.  Those SWORN to uphold the law, DON'T. And then, when they are outed, they are protected by their own. Yet, you wonder, would officer Smegma ever give you a break?

I suppose that there could be a higher chance that a cop like might go at "the little guy" harder than he needs to, but there is a difference between a dirty cop and a numbnuts who pulls a stunt like this.  Sadly, many forget that being a cop is just a JOB.  They are just civilians, citizens, regular Joes, humans who screw up (although, unfortunately, some seem to think that their profession will allow them to get away with certain screw ups).  Anybody could succumb to temptation like stealing from work or otherwise breaking the law.  I'm more worried about the other cops who were quick to rush in and protect Magsam being dirty.

As a side note, if you know any cops, military personnel, fire fighters, etc., encourage them to check out Oath Keepers.  From their website:
Oath Keepers is a non-partisan association of currently serving military, reserves, National Guard, veterans, Peace Officers, and Fire Fighters who will fulfill the Oath we swore, with the support of like minded citizens who take an Oath to stand with us, to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic, so help us God. Our Oath is to the Constitution

Our motto is "Not on our watch!"
They also have a list of orders they will not obey which include:
1. We will NOT obey orders to disarm the American people.
2. We will NOT obey orders to conduct warrantless searches of the American people
3. We will NOT obey orders to detain American citizens as “unlawful enemy combatants” or to subject them to military tribunal.
4. We will NOT obey orders to impose martial law or a “state of emergency” on a state.
5. We will NOT obey orders to invade and subjugate any state that asserts its sovereignty.
6. We will NOT obey any order to blockade American cities, thus turning them into giant concentration camps.
7. We will NOT obey any order to force American citizens into any form of detention camps under any pretext.
8. We will NOT obey orders to assist or support the use of any foreign troops on U.S. soil against the American people to “keep the peace” or to “maintain control."
9. We will NOT obey any orders to confiscate the property of the American people, including food and other essential supplies.
10.We will NOT obey any orders which infringe on the right of the people to free speech, to peaceably assemble, and to petition their government for a redress of grievances.

I suppose when "the chips are down" is when we'll see how well it pans out, but it certainly couldn't hurt to encourage those in such positions to be men of integrity