!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: Take your hunter ed class online  (Read 3225 times)

Offline masfonos

Take your hunter ed class online
« on: July 28, 2011, 11:26:56 AM »
Well, this started out just being some info about the online hunter education class, but ended up being longer than I expected with a bit of a review thrown in...

Many states require you to have proof of passing a hunter's safety (hunter's education) class before being able to purchase a hunting license.  Whether you are a first time hunter seeking your first license, a veteran hunter wishing to brush up on your skills or you need proof of passing for some other reason, the "hunter's ed" class is the place to go.

Taking the class used to mean finding a location where the class was offered, finding the times when they are offered and trying to make those things fit into your schedule around the rest of your life.  Then, once you find a time that works, you drive in to the classroom location for a long day or several consecutive shorter days and sit for hours listening to someone talk about various subjects relating to hunting.  As an added bonus, the classrooms are often filled with younger folks getting their first official lesson on hunting.  Nothing against kids, but they can often be fidgety, obnoxious and distracting, particularly to a seasoned hunter who may be taking the course just for the certificate or as a refresher.  If you're a new hunter, it may not be a bad thing since the kids may ask some questions you're afraid to ask.

I found a site a while back that eliminates most of the hassles of the classroom portion of the hunter education program.  hunter-ed.com is partnered with a number of states to provide an online, internet-based hunter education course that you can take on your own schedule, at your own pace and from the comfort of your own home.  I'm not certain if all states are the same but, generally, once you complete the online "classroom" portion, you will still need to go somewhere to take a test and, possibly, do some shooting.

My experience
The reason that I found this place was because I found myself needing fresh proof of having passed the course (although later I was told that an old hunting license would have sufficed).  Not wanting to have to drive to a classroom setting three days in a row and mess with all that, I opted to take the class online.  After completing the online lessons and tests I was presented with a certificate of completion which I had to print, have notarized and bring with me to the facility.  At the facility, there was a brief lesson, a couple videos and then a 100 question multiple-choice test which, of course, I finished 10 minutes sooner than the next fastest person and didn't miss any :D  After the test, we did some live fire exercises, signed on the dotted line and were sent packing to receive our completion certificate/card in the mail a few days later.

The whole process was pretty simple, perhaps because I'd been hunting for years by that point, but I don't think it would be too challenging for anyone.  I'm not sure if it's because of course content varying from state to state, if things have changed over the years or what, but I did have one gripe about this method of getting the certification.  I seem to recall old hunter ed classes covering game care and preparation (gutting, skinning, cleaning, cutting, etc.) which was barely, if at all, mentioned in this course and certainly not demonstrated.  There were people in the testing portion who had taken the lesson part in a real classroom, so maybe they covered it there.  If not, I'd hate to be the person standing in the woods over some dead game thinking "Now what...?"

One other downfall is that there is a fee for the online course whereas the classroom versions are usually free.  It's only a few bucks though and, in my opinion, it's worth it to be able to take the class in your underwear.   

hunter-ed.com currently lists 30 states for which they provide online courses.  Be sure to check your state laws to verify that this course meets your needs.  The states listed are:

- Alabama
- Alaska
- Arkansas
- Arizona
- California
- Colorado
- Delaware
- Georgia
- Idaho
- Illinois
- Indiana
- Iowa
- Kansas
- Kentucky
- Louisiana
- Maryland
- Michigan
- Mississippi
- Missouri
- Montana
- Nevada
- New Hampshire
- North Carolina
- Oregon
- South Carolina
- Tennessee
- Texas
- Utah
- Washington
- West Virginia

GunLink Discussion Forums

Take your hunter ed class online
« on: July 28, 2011, 11:26:56 AM »

Offline small

Re: Take your hunter ed class online
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 08:45:12 AM »
I guess I lucked out by my age, I'm too old to be required to have one and most states where I'd still have too are good with a old Hunting Permit. I did take a class way back when, at a local Park District and got a certificate, for the life of me I don't know where that is at. I'm guessing I was around 12. It was an all day thing of movies and lectures and such, but there wasn't a gun anywhere around. At the end I remember there was a test and IIRC we did it "as a class" where the teacher would read the question and then we'd answer as a group, kind of like traffic school. Also I do not remember any adults besides the guy running the class. I'm guessing it was set up just for Kids.

Anyway great to know there are now alternatives out there. My kid brother would have been SOL on a Deer hunt since he never took a course, but they gave him a pass since he provided proof of former military service.

Offline 1slickAR15

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 05:56:16 PM »
I've seen plenty of places that just ask you if you've had one before and take your word for it.  AFAIK, nobody checks up on it and apparently the cashier at bait stores or walmarts couldn't care less.  I heard one of them explain it as "I asked, it's your butt if you lied"

license requirements aside, doesn't hurt to have extra safety training.

Offline masfonos

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 10:35:08 AM »
Bump for hunting season