!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: Katie Couric gun movie  (Read 3190 times)

Offline Free-Fall

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
Katie Couric gun movie
« on: June 01, 2016, 03:24:31 PM »
I heard people talking about some gun movie that she made and I guess it was full of lies but I don't know anything about it.  anyone know whats the the deal with it?  I guess she got in some trouble over it.

GunLink Discussion Forums

Katie Couric gun movie
« on: June 01, 2016, 03:24:31 PM »

Offline masfonos

Re: Katie Couric gun movie
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 07:24:13 PM »
It wasn't so much a movie as it was a "documentary" for EPIX and it wasn't so much a documentary as it was an anti-gun hit piece from another liberal "journalist"

This kind of thing pisses me off to no end because if the stuff below hadn't been brought to light, this BS "documentary" would just keep bouncing around in the anti-gunner's echo chamber while they fret about the make-believe "gun violence problem" that the media loves to push  >:( 

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ky9F62gcew[/youtube]

Here is the main segment that has everyone ticked off.  Couric and her pals edited in nearly 10 seconds of silence into an interview with VCDL gun owners that showed them looking around like they were stumped when she asked them a simple question.  What really happened was she asked a question and they immediately gave her their well reasoned answers. Instead, she tried to make them look stupid.  Here's what it looked like...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6_9q8K2VK8[/youtube]

And what they really said:

KATIE: If there are no background checks, how do you prevent ... I know how you all are going to answer this, but I'm asking anyway. If there are no background checks for gun purchasers, how do you prevent felons or terrorists from walking into, say a licensed gun dealer and purchasing a gun?

MALE: Well, one, if you're not in jail then you should still have your basic rights and you should go buy a gun.

KATIE: So, if you're a terrorist or a felon …

MALE: If you're a felon and you've done your time, you should have your rights.

MALE: The fact is we do have statutes, both at the federal and state level that prohibit classes of people from being in possession of firearms. If you're under 18 in Virginia you can't walk around with a gun. If you're an illegal immigrant, if you're a convicted felon, if you've been adjudicated in same, these things are already illegal. So, what we're really asking about is a question of prior restraint. How can we prevent future crime by identifying bad guys before they do anything bad? And, the simple answer is you can't.
And, particularly, under the legal system we have in the United States there are a lot of Supreme Court opinions that say, "No, prior restraint is something that the government does not have the authority to do." Until there is an overt act that allows us to say, "That's a bad guy," then you can't punish him.

FEMALE: I would take another outlook on this. First, I'll ask you what crime or what law has ever stopped a crime? Tell me one law that has ever stopped a crime from happening.

First she denied any wrong doing and so did the director or editor or some other crew member.  Now she has a message up on the film's website taking responsibility but not apologizing and saying "I hope we can continue to have an important conversation about reducing gun deaths in America, a goal I believe we can all agree on."

There's a Fox News story on it that includes the clip along with the original audio.  Even WaPo has coverage on it.

Katie later admitted that she just "really doesn't understand journalism"   ;D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QSlSYeNBkI[/youtube]
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 09:25:22 PM by masfonos »

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 02:20:36 PM »
It looks like it does not stop there either...

More Controversy for Couric’s Anti-Gun “Documentary”
Did Crew Send a Producer to Commit a Felony?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTauXPRMTVo[/youtube]

We sent a producer out and he was from Colorado.  He went to Arizona and he was able to buy a Bushmaster and then three other pistols without a background check in a matter of four hours.  And that's perfectly legal.  He wasn't doing some sort of, like, underground market.

Offline Free-Fall

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 02:42:45 PM »
hahaha, it's so much better than I thought. What a bunch of morons. Too blinded by gun hate to get anything right.

Offline masfonos

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 02:56:02 PM »
"And that's all perfectly legal, he wasn't doing some black market thing"

Ummm... It's the #2 question in this ATF FAQ

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/docs/0501-firearms-top-10-qaspdf/download

Top 10 Frequently Asked Firearms Questions and Answers

2. May I lawfully transfer a firearm to a friend who resides in a different State?
Under Federal law, an unlicensed individual is prohibited from transferring a firearm to an individual
who does not reside in the State where the transferee resides.
Generally, for a person to lawfully
transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of State, the firearm must be shipped to a
Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) within the recipient’s State of residence. He or she may then
receive the firearm from the FFL upon completion of an ATF Form 4473 and a NICS background
check. More information can be obtained on the ATF website at www.atf.gov and
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html. The GCA provides an exception from this
prohibition for temporary loans or rentals of firearms for lawful sporting purposes. Thus, for
example, a friend visiting you may borrow a firearm from you to go hunting. Another exception is
provided for transfers of firearms to nonresidents to carry out a lawful bequest or acquisition by
intestate succession. This exception would authorize the transfer of a firearm to a nonresident who
inherits a firearm under the will of a decedent. See 18 U.S.C. 922(a)(5).