!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: dope a scope  (Read 1824 times)

Offline TiratOug

• GunLink Member
dope a scope
« on: July 31, 2021, 12:04:00 PM »
I had a Hawke Endurance 4-16X50 scope mounted on my TX200 for a little less than a year.  It had a nice mil-dot recticle that gave my tired eyes good service.  The dot was in the middle where the cross hairs meet and it made it easy to see what it was centered on.

In the last few days, the TX became my worst shooter.  I did all the "stuff" like make sure everything was tight and the barrel was clean etc. but still no go.  It was just a little off, but more than ever before.

Tonight it hit the fan.  The shots started walking away on me.  So I dis-mounted the scope only and took another scope that had a one inch tube (the Endurance is 30MM) and got out the duct tape, the universal fix all.  I wrapped the tap around the scope  and locked the rings down.

I know this is a sloppy method of dope a scope, but I had to try something.

On the top target, I was shooting for the left most circle and you can see the walk the shots were taking to the right with the Endurance.

On the bottom I walked the shots into the circle using the vertical adjustment on the duct tapped scope and even with that duct tapped scope, I was able to bring the shots home at 40 yards.  Most of the time the gun performs much better with one hole groups often happening, but I was very short on daylight and felt that the shots in the circle showed me the scope, not the gun or the nut holding the stock was at fault.

So Monday, the call goes out to Hawke and the scope goes back for its lifetime warranty.  I hope they send out a new one in lieu of a repair.  It is hard to trust a scope that has been opened.   

GunLink Discussion Forums

dope a scope
« on: July 31, 2021, 12:04:00 PM »

Offline TheHarleyB

• GunLink Member
Re: dope a scope
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2021, 12:59:55 PM »
That stinks, I'd expect more out of a $500+ scope. Hopefully they make it right. Fingers crossed you get a good new one and don't have to worry about the problem showing back up, moisture getting in and so on. Did they give you and preliminary ideas of what they think?

Offline JamesCollins

• GunLink Member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2021, 04:33:05 PM »
Is $500 a big amount fkr a scope?

Offline TheHarleyB

• GunLink Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2021, 11:14:02 AM »
Is $500 a big amount fkr a scope?

It’s not top of the line several thousand dollar scope, but when there are millions of rifles wearing $30 Tasco scopes it’s pretty far from the bottom end. If I spent $500 on one, I’d expect near perfection.

Offline JamesCollins

• GunLink Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2022, 03:27:36 PM »
Yeah agree it’s steep so is has to be worth it