!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: ATF raids Polymer 80 "ghost gun" company, seizes customer records  (Read 2449 times)

Offline masfonos

Ghost Guns  ::)

I don't know how they can determine that the kit meets the definition of a firearm since it's just a kit full of parts and a chunk of plastic. There is no receiver just an incomplete 80% non serialized part.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/ghost-gun-company-raided-by-federal-agents-11607670296

Federal agents on Thursday raided one of the nation’s largest manufacturers of ghost-gun parts, a sign that federal law enforcement is cracking down on kits that allow people to make weapons at home.

The raid target, Nevada-based Polymer80, is suspected of illegally manufacturing and distributing firearms, failing to pay taxes, shipping guns across state lines and failing to conduct background investigations, according to an application for a search warrant unsealed Thursday after the raid took place.

The probe focuses on Polymer80’s “Buy Build Shoot Kit,” which includes the parts to build a “ghost” handgun. The kit, which Polymer80 sells online, meets the definition of a firearm, ATF investigators determined according to the warrant application. That means it would have to be stamped with a serial number and couldn’t be sold to consumers who haven’t first passed a background check.

Agents seized records and other evidence in Thursday’s raid in Dayton, close to Carson City, a law-enforcement official with knowledge of the investigation said. No Polymer80 employees were arrested and no charges have been filed.

GunLink Discussion Forums

Offline masfonos

Re: ATF raids Polymer 80 "ghost gun" company, seizes customer records
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2020, 12:39:53 AM »
Surprise! A TFB reader allegedly had the ATF come to his door to seize his P80 kit and someone on r/Firearms claims they contacted him as well.

TFB: GHOSTED: ATF Visiting End Users; Requesting Forfeiture Of Polymer80 Kits

"The reader stated that on the afternoon of December 10, 2020, they were visited by the ATF and were requested to surrender any Polymer80 kits. The ATF took custody of the Buy Build Shoot Kit and provided them with a receipt for the property. In the “Basis for Transfer or Seizure of Items” box, the ATF agent wrote “Polymer80, Inc. Investigation”. The email to TFB stated:

They are also going after customers. Had ATF at my house approximately 1pm yesterday telling me I need to surrender my P80 or he would return to raid my house with a warrant. Enclosed is my surrender sheet for proof. If anyone purchased a “Buy, Build, Shoot” kit from them they will probably be hearing from the ATF as well."

Reddit: "I have already been contacted"

Offline masfonos

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2020, 12:57:28 AM »
To be clear...

This is fine to buy or sell sell.
It's just a couple chunks of plastic, not a firearm:

Any or all of this is fine to buy or sell sell.
It's just parts:

You can buy any or all of the above and it's no problem.

The ATFs claim is that
if you buy or sell the EXACT SAME THING it's now magically
illegal if it ships in the same package

Offline Panther97

• GunLink Member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 11:41:41 AM »
illegally manufacturing and distributing firearms
failing to pay taxes
shipping guns across state lines
failing to conduct background investigations
From the sounds of it, selling firearms to prohibited persons

Yet no arrests and no charges? Agents just took records?
Doesn't pass sniff test

Offline masfonos

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2020, 12:05:31 AM »
I can't find the article now but I saw something earlier that said it took their crack squad of super agents 3-4 hours to complete the kit, but their prohibited CI put finished it in 20 minutes, so it's "readily convertible."

With a decent garage shop, you could outfit a platoon in 3-4 hours from "readily convertible" solid chunks of metal.  0% receivers. Bar stock is now a firearm.

Offline wdb2021

• GunLink Member
    • ทางเข้าคาสิโน
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 12:08:46 AM »
These are manufactured parts and are mostly produced in China.