!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: Bump Stocks BANNED! - Update: Effective 3-26-2019  (Read 8953 times)

Offline leadfarmer

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
Bump Stocks BANNED! - Update: Effective 3-26-2019
« on: December 18, 2018, 02:31:26 PM »
UPDATE: Rule will publish in federal register 12-26-18 and be effective 3-26-2019 https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2018/12/26/2018-27763/bump-stock-type-devices

Millions of overnight felons waiting to happen. 😠

Trump administration officially bans bump stocks

The Trump administration rolled out a new federal regulation Tuesday officially banning bump-fire stocks.

Those who possess the devices, which make it easier to fire rounds from a semi-automatic weapon by harnessing the gun's recoil to "bump" the trigger faster, will have 90 days to turn in or otherwise destroy them from the date that the final rule is published in the federal register -- likely this Friday -- according to senior DOJ officials.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/18/politics/bump-stocks-ban/index.html

Official ruling: https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/5635249/Bump-Stock-Final-Rule.pdf
"The Department of Justice is amending the regulations of the Bureau of
Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) to clarify that bump-stock-type
devices-meaning "bump fire" stocks, slide-fire devices, and devices with certain similar
characteristics-are "machineguns" as defined by the National Firearms Act of 1934 and
the Gun Control Act of 1968 because such devices allow a shooter of a semiautomatic
firearm to initiate a continuous firing cycle with a single pull of the trigger.
"

Instructions to destroy bumpstocks: https://www.atf.gov/file/133136/download
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 12:03:24 PM by leadfarmer »

GunLink Discussion Forums

Bump Stocks BANNED! - Update: Effective 3-26-2019
« on: December 18, 2018, 02:31:26 PM »

Offline masfonos

Re: Bump Stocks BANNED!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 02:41:06 PM »
Supposed to be published in Federal Register this Friday and go into effect 90 days later

Offline leadfarmer

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 02:45:46 PM »
If only there had been some kind of writing on the wall that this was coming... http://gunlink.info/forums/index.php?topic=1964.0

I wander if they bothered to read any of the comments submitted or if it was a done deal from the outset.

Offline TheHarleyB

• GunLink Member
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 03:53:22 PM »
the eight-year assault on your Second Amendment freedoms has come to a crashing endTM 

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 04:06:22 PM »
From the GunLink Blog:

Acting AG Signs New Bump Stock Ban

Devices Must Be Destroyed Within 90 Days of Rule Being Published
After months of speculation on whether such a measure could be taken under an ostensibly pro-RKBA administration, Acting Attorney General Matthew Whitaker signed a new rule today that classifies “bump stocks” as machine guns and bans their possession. The rule, set to take effect 90 days after it is published in the Federal Register – which is expected to happen this Friday – would require current owners of the devices to destroy them.

The BATFE had previously concluded that such devices were unable to be federally regulated as such because they are simply an accessory part. Following the Mandalay Bay attack in October 2017 in which the attacker allegedly used weapons equipped with such devices, President Trump prompted the DOJ to revisit the matter. AG Jeff Sessions introduced the proposed legislation in March 2018.

The new rule inaccurately concludes that these devices allow a “shooter of a semiautomatic firearm to initiate a continuous firing cycle with a single pull of the trigger,” making it a machine gun. Generally, under current regulations, possession or transfer of a machine gun manufactured prior to May 19, 1986 – the date on which the Firearms Owners Protection Act (and the Hughes Amendment thereof) went into effect.[...]

Offline Free-Fall

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 11:07:46 AM »
NRA asked for this. Trump asked for this. I heard gun owners talking about how it’s just a gimmick and it shouldn’t have been allowed anyway and didn’t care if it got banned. With ‘friends’ like these who needs more enemies?

Offline masfonos

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 02:28:58 PM »
I don't care whether it's a gimmick or not. I've only shot one once and thought it was fun but kind of dumb and I have no interest in owning one.

The scary part here, and what should concern anyone who owns or is interested in firearms of any kind is that a bureaucratic agency unilaterally changed the meaning of the words in existing law to reclassify an object which they unequivocally said was NOT a prohibited item to now say that it IS a prohibited item.

This is a camel's nose in the tent that we DO NOT want. You are right that Trump made this happen, probably because someone whispered it in his ear and he knows jack shit about firearms. What will be the next garbage that someone whispers in an uninformed (at best, or worse, outright 2A-hostile) executive's ear? It is no stretch of the imagination at all to see how binary triggers might become machine guns overnight. Or competition triggers. Or for "pistol brace" firearms to become SBRs or shockwaves to become SBSs or AOWs. If they took the notion, they could probably wave the same magic wand and you might wake up to all pistols being AOWs.

This thing is BAD news and a huge overreach.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 02:53:06 PM by masfonos »

Offline marktucker

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 07:05:30 PM »
Who's that guy?

I thought the libtards said anything Whitaker does doesn't count because Trump wasn't allowed to make him acting AG anyway?

Offline leadfarmer

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 10:14:37 PM »
He's the AG that Trump appointed. Some complain he wasn't confirmed by senate but the vacancies act says he doesn't have to be.
http://insider.foxnews.com/2018/11/13/judge-andrew-napolitano-matthew-whitaker-appointment-trump-unlawful
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/16/opinion/sunday/matthew-whitaker-donald-trump-robert-mueller.html

Either way, I don't care about Whitaker on this. I don't want this crap to be overturned on some stupid technicality like that. I want it to be destroyed with extreme prejudice based on its lack of merit as a legitimate piece of regulation.

Offline oddjob

• GunLink Member
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2018, 04:02:09 PM »
How to fight it then? If NRA was for it they probably won't fight it now. I have two that I paid good money for and I'll be mad if I'm out the money and the stocks.

Offline TheHarleyB

• GunLink Member
Lawsuits already filed against bumpstock ban
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2018, 10:25:25 AM »
How to fight it then? If NRA was for it they probably won't fight it now. I have two that I paid good money for and I'll be mad if I'm out the money and the stocks.

It's already being fought.  Josh Prince & Adam Kraut have already filed a lawsuit, GOA says that they're going to file another one as soon as the rule is published in the register, and a couple others are hinting that they will file too. GOA makes a lot of noise but I don't really ever hear about them accomplishing anything. Prince and Kraut seem pretty sharp though.

Offline masfonos

Re: NRA Statement on Bump Fire Stock Rule
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2018, 11:33:35 AM »
I've been an NRA member for ages and I'm really tired of this kind of garbage from them.  The sad part is that they have such a history of being mealy-mouthed compromisers on 2A rights that it's hard to tell if this is their actual sentiment or if they just crafted this statement to deflect fire and align with their previous history.

Cliffs Notes: It's AWB 2.0, Hughes Amendment 2.0, etc. "We compromised just a little bit and gave this up so that we didn't risk losing more."

I'm not ready to abandon them yet since they are set up to be changed from the inside, but I'll be sending some extra money to SAF and looking for other groups to join with the sack to actually fight for RKBA.

NRA Statement on Bump Fire Stock Rule

This week, the Department of Justice announced that it would soon be releasing a final rule classifying “bump-stock-type-devices” as “machineguns” under the National Firearms Act.

These devices came to national attention in October 2017 after the horrific attack in Las Vegas.  As multiple media accounts correctly pointed to at the time, there was overwhelming legislative support for proposals that went far beyond these specific devices and some that could have potentially jeopardized all semiautomatic firearms. Rather than sit back and watch a legislative over-reaction, the NRA asked Congress to let ATF review its prior determinations on bump fire stocks.

Some have used our October 2017 statement to claim that NRA supports ATF’s final rule, but as NRA-ILA’s Executive Director Chris Cox noted only days after our statement was issued, “We don’t believe that bans have ever worked on anything.”

We also made this clear in our comments to ATF on the proposed rule earlier this year. In our comments, we further advised that ATF should at a minimum make an amnesty period available to deal with the fundamental inequity imposed on law-abiding gun owners who purchased their bump fire stocks in good faith reliance on prior ATF determinations. We continue to pursue the availability of a period of amnesty with the administration.

While there can be disagreement on legislative strategy, it’s important to remember that we will soon face a hostile, anti-gun Congress led by Nancy Pelosi. It’s critical that all gun owners unite and prevent the Bloomberg-bought Congress from dismantling our Second Amendment freedom. 

Offline leadfarmer

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2018, 11:57:27 AM »
The rule will be published in the Federal Register on December 26 and will take affect March 26 2019

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2018/12/26/2018-27763/bump-stock-type-devices

Offline masfonos

Re: Bump Stocks BANNED! - Update: Effective 3-26-2019
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2018, 05:38:20 PM »
TXMGO is offering to be a sanctuary FFL and let bumpstocks live on as a real deal, registered dealer post sample machine gun. Welcome to Crazyville, ATF - where the rules are made up and words don't matter.

Offline masfonos

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2018, 09:08:07 AM »
This Lord Rockwell company claims to have a new Not-a-bumpstock gadget that won't be affected by the bumpstock rule but will allow a similar kind of fire.  https://www.lordrockwell.com/products

The only thing on their site is a picture of a stock and another part and some weak hints.

Your eyes are not deceiving you.

This is not a bumpstock. That one piece stock and grip and whatever that mystery part is are just a couple pieces in a new system of pew things, none of which are a bumpstock.

The new rule that was issued reinterpreting what bumpstocks and machine guns are is actually pretty narrow. Lord Rockwell has provisional patents on new pew technology that supersedes the bumpstock, but also has a wider application and purpose in the market.

The Not-A-Bumpstock is not a bumpstock. And it's most definitely not a machine gun. As is the timeless tale of regulation, governments ban things, and the marketplace replaces them with new products to comply with the law. For non-gun owners, it's like that upcoming iPhone Jailbreak that you know is inevitable.

We chose to wait to announce the product until after the bumpstock ban so that regulators did not arbitrarily target our product too. That would have been particulary upsetting since it's not a bumpstock. Among other things, the Not-A-Bumpstock aids injured veterans, the elderly, and others with disabilities to be able to shoot again, and shoot very fast.

While we're poised to benefit from the bumpstock ban, we support the lawsuits that are seeking to overturn it. Our product will have a place in the market with or without a bumpstock ban. We respect President Trump and his desire to keep American's safe. A ban on bumpstocks does not improve public safety, but will make several hundred thousand people into potential felons.

We're letting the market know an alternative product exists. The Not-A-Bumpstocks are a more complex system. More than just replacing a grip and stock. The Not-A-Bumpstocks will be available as conversions kits for existing firearms and as complete firearms with an integral Not-A-Bumpstock. More details on the operation, safety, and availability of Not-A-Bumpstocks will follow after Christmas.

We will be following standard procedures of submitting the device to the ATF's technology branch for their review of compliance with existing law and the new bumpstock rule ahead of shipping them to customers and distributors. But let your heart be not troubled, it's Not-A-Bumpstock.

The curve and two of the holes looks like a trigger guard to me, so I overlaid it on a pic of a lower. If that's where it goes, the thing sticking up might be for some kind of Hypergat or Hellfire doohickey. I'm not sure how either of those work, so I don't know if or how the other leg of the Lord Rockwell part would fit into that.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 09:10:27 AM by masfonos »

Offline TheHarleyB

• GunLink Member
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2019, 09:38:04 AM »
Well, none of the lawsuits have overturned the ban or even got a judge to grant a delay while someone reasonable looks at it.

Anyone who still has a bumpstock in a few days will suddenly be a felon because they own a piece of plastic. Not a gun, definitely not a machine gun, not a trigger, not a sear... a piece of plastic. A rifle stock that fits loose enough to move around on the rifle.

Having that piece of plastic will get them a decade in prison, thousands in fines, loss of gun rights, loss of voting rights, etc.  Exactly the same as if they had a REAL machinegun.  All because someone decided that they didn't want you to have a loose gun stock.

Offline masfonos