!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: Taurus M85 snub, 2", .38 Spl  (Read 8405 times)

Offline jpfowebman

• Industry Member
  • JPFO Webmaster
    • RKBA-2A
Taurus M85 snub, 2", .38 Spl
« on: March 12, 2011, 09:58:07 PM »
Well - here is an old friend! This has obvious holster wear and even some slight corrosion pitting along grips line of frame. Not surprising as it was a very first carry piece for many months.

It is I think one of Taurus's best and is well up there with even Smith steel snubs. I found the grips a great benefit and although only 38 Spl, it was a very good shooter and controllable too. It will still see duty now and again - if only as a truck BUG.

Gobango.net web site - see this picture and many more, plus articles.
Remember if you won't defend your rights don't complain when you lose them.
http://www.gobango.net/ - Gun pics & commentary
http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - 2A links portal

GunLink Discussion Forums

Taurus M85 snub, 2", .38 Spl
« on: March 12, 2011, 09:58:07 PM »

Offline masfonos

Re: Taurus M85 snub, 2", .38 Spl
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 04:33:56 PM »
Great "review of the day"

It looks very similar to a Rossi R461, another great revolver (Rossi is made by Taurus).  Although the R461 shoots .357 in addition to .38 special.

I agree that Taurus (and Rossi) revolvers are generally pretty high quality, especially given the cost compared to some others.  Top notch customer service too, IMO.

Here is a stock pic of the Rossi for comparison.

Offline jpfowebman

• Industry Member
  • JPFO Webmaster
    • RKBA-2A
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 09:50:39 PM »
Hi - yes, the Rossi is indeed very similar - but lacks the holster wear LOL.  I feel they represent very good value but would still not want to shoot the snot out of them as I reckon they could loosen faster than an up-market equivalent.
Remember if you won't defend your rights don't complain when you lose them.
http://www.gobango.net/ - Gun pics & commentary
http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - 2A links portal

Offline John Descoteaux

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 09:01:40 PM »
 8)

Years ago I bought my wife a Taurus five holer with the short barrel. The M85 was outstanding. She loaded her with +P+ and let loose. Great piece!

I bought her a Rossi a little later. Five round .38 Special. I got rid of that fast! Thin walled barrel. Heat her up with a few rounds and the target began to look as if a shotgun had been busy. Every round was a flier! Hopefully the Taurus owned Rossi factories are retooled. :'(

Offline masfonos

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 03:14:08 PM »
Around what time did you have your Rossi?  That 461 would shoot up a whole box of .38, +P or .357 and be dead on the whole time.

In December of 1997 BrazTech International L.C. was created as the exclusive importer of Rossi firearms in North America.

Previously, Rossi firearms were distributed by Interarms of Alexandria, Virginia. Rossi manufactures its classic rifles in a plant in Sa Leopoldo, Brazil and will continue operations there, selling many firearms outside the United States and North America.

At the same time, Forjas Taurus, S.A. purchased the rights and the equipment to manufacture Rossi handguns.  Taurus manufactures three models of .38 Special revolvers and four models of .357 Magnum revolvers under contract with Rossi. Revolvers sold by BrazTech with the Rossi name are manufactured in a brand new facility owned by Taurus in SaoLeopoldo, Brazil.  Much of the tooling and many of the machines were acquired from Rossi during negotiations between the companies.

Offline John Descoteaux

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 08:27:22 PM »
 >:(   The Rossi I bought for my wife was Brand New but made in the Early Nineties before the Taurus involvement. It sounds as if they might be quite different now.
                                                                   :o