!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: Statement of Deputy AG Regarding Multiple Sales of Semi-Auto Rifles  (Read 3445 times)

Offline masfonos

Oh good, they're going to "fix" the "problem" that they played a significant part in creating.  Who's going to be handling all this extra information?  I guess these are some of the many jobs that they're creating.

Department of Justice - Office of Public Affairs
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE  Monday, July 11, 2011

Statement of Deputy Attorney General James Cole Regarding Information Requests for Multiple Sales of Semi-Automatic Rifles with Detachable Magazines

WASHINGTON – Deputy Attorney General James Cole issued the following statement today regarding information requests for multiple sales of semi-automatic rifles with detachable magazines in select states along the Southwest Border:

The international expansion and increased violence of transnational criminal networks pose a significant threat to the United States.  Federal, state and foreign law enforcement agencies have determined that certain types of semi-automatic rifles – greater than .22 caliber and with the ability to accept a detachable magazine – are highly sought after by dangerous drug trafficking organizations and frequently recovered at violent crime scenes near the Southwest Border.  This new reporting measure -- tailored to focus only on multiple sales of these types of rifles to the same person within a five-day period -- will improve the ability of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives to detect and disrupt the illegal weapons trafficking networks responsible for diverting firearms from lawful commerce to criminals and criminal organizations.  These targeted information requests will occur in Arizona, California, New Mexico, and Texas to help confront the problem of illegal gun trafficking into Mexico and along the Southwest Border.

- Office of the Deputy Attorney General

GunLink Discussion Forums

Offline Uncle Buck

Re: Statement of Deputy AG Regarding Multiple Sales of Semi-Auto Rifles
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 11:02:49 PM »
They already have very tough laws in place, they just need to enforce them!

I hope everyone who reads your post contacts their senators and Members of the House of Representatives.

Enough already.  Enforce the laws we have.  The ATF sat on know straw buyers and did nothing.

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 07:54:52 PM »
Washington Post article on it, complete with picture of super-scary black rifle:

Gun dealers will have to report multiple sales of semiautomatic rifle
By James V. Grimaldi and Sari Horwitz, Published: July 11

The Obama administration implemented its most aggressive and controversial gun measure to date Monday when it ordered dealers in four Southwestern states to report multiple sales of semiautomatic rifles to the federal firearms bureau.

The rule, which had been opposed by the National Rifle Association and many members of Congress, takes effect immediately and is meant to stem gunrunning to violent Mexican drug gangs.

It requires about 8,500 dealers...(READ MORE...)

Uncle Buck pretty much nailed it.

Offline Uncle Buck

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 08:46:25 AM »
I know I am pretty much preaching to the choir here, but if they can erode even a little of our rights, they claim a victory  and keep trying.

Offline 1slickAR15

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 09:12:21 AM »
I know I am pretty much preaching to the choir here, but if they can erode even a little of our rights, they claim a victory  and keep trying.

exactly right.  "they let us do this, they must like it.  Let's give them more of the same."  As long as they put a stop to BS like their operation fast and furious, guns going to mexico will decrease and so will crime.  An increase in enforcing current laws and strengthening the border will also result in less guns in cartel hands and less crime. I garantee you though that they will have some smoke and mirror correlation=causality spin and call those decreases a result of this new reporting act. :-\