!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: What do you think about this rig?  (Read 3511 times)

Offline Keeping the Piece

• Industry Member
  • marketplace
  • Equipping & Empowering Women in Central KY
    • Keeping the Piece
What do you think about this rig?
« on: November 27, 2011, 02:36:50 PM »
Thoughts? Anybody got one? 

What do you think about it?
Here's the website.  Looks a bit cumbersome, but I like the idea of having a solid 2-handed grip on my gun in the dark.

http://www.first-light-usa.com/liberatormain.php

GunLink Discussion Forums

What do you think about this rig?
« on: November 27, 2011, 02:36:50 PM »

Offline 1slickAR15

Re: What do you think about this rig?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 04:33:47 PM »
wow that is cool.  I've never seen or used anything like that but I like it.  I like that it points like a weapon light but is not attached to the weapon.  Pointing a gun at something just to see it is bad juju.

Offline masfonos

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 11:03:15 AM »
It looks like it would do what it's supposed to do (keep you from having to point your gun at something just to light it up and let you keep a good grip on your gun) but it doesn't look like it would be very handy to use as a regular flashlight.  I imagine once you use it for a while though you'd probably get pretty good at using it.

As far as for something with a rail on it, it seems like a regular flashlight in a QD mount would be more practical.  I guess that wouldn't be too practical for pistol shooting though.  It might be nice if the flashlight tube folded up flush with the rigid (?) part that's going across the top of the hand and/or the light part swiveled up to be in line with the tube.  Either of those would probably compromise the toughness of the light and give it another failure point.

Neat idea though.

Offline Keeping the Piece

• Industry Member
  • marketplace
  • Equipping & Empowering Women in Central KY
    • Keeping the Piece
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 01:08:35 PM »
I thought it was a pretty neat idea, since I'm trying to work out the logistics of shooting in low light and experimenting with all the different methods that are out there.  So far, I like the cheek-index the best, but would love to have both hands on the gun.  None of the 'hands together' methods work well for me.  This design looks a little cumbersome, especially when attached at the beltline, which is probably where I'd want to have it.  It's pretty big.  I like the idea about the light swiveling up, but you're right...that would make a moving part that could fail.

What methods do you like best for shooting in low light? 

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 05:09:47 PM »
We got to play with a few models of these during the SHOT Show.  They weren't as awkward to use as I would have thought they would be.  I had a few questions about the units but the folks at the First Light booth were pretty busy so I didn't get a chance to ask much.

The lights are pretty nice and appear to be solidly built.  They have a lot of features which make it clear that they've put prototypes into use and said "Hey, we ought to add this", the type of stuff that is nice but it doesn't seem like you'd be able to come up with it at the drawing board from scratch.

The lights seem like they would be much more useful for LEO or Military (which should be obvious since that is their target audience, although they have a outdoorsman version in the works) and have a lot of features the Joe CCW probably wouldn't normally need (e.g. task light, UV task light, blood highlighting lights, etc.).

This product, as mentioned above, looks like it would fill it's intended purpose for LEO and Military applications very well.  I can imagine what the "outdoorsman " version will probably have (bright light, blood light, low signature light, hat/clothing clip) and I would guess that they could strip down some of the features from the LEO-type models and do well in the CCW/personal protection market.  The idea is a good one, I'm just not sold that the outdoors and CCW lighting niche couldn't be filled better with another product (or at least filled pretty well with substantially less cost and complication).