!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: CMMG ARC .22lr conversion kit  (Read 3474 times)

Offline masfonos

CMMG ARC .22lr conversion kit
« on: June 21, 2011, 11:38:47 AM »
I ended up getting this kit and I love it! 

I got the parkerized version (as opposed to the stainless version) that came with three magazines.  I did a fair amount of research online before getting the kit to make sure I got a decent one and that I was up on the care and feeding regimen to make sure everything went well with it.

I read opinions on both sides about whether it needed a CLP bath before using it but I figured it wouldn't hurt anything to do it.  I gave it a good soaking in some BreakFree CLP all over the rails, chamber adapter, etc. and worked the action a couple hundred times by hand before firing the first shot.  I let the CLP soak in overnight or for a couple days before shooting it too.

As most reviews I read said, the unit required a couple hundred rounds of a break-in period.  During that period, I had a couple funky ejections, stovepipes and the like.  After that, though, it's been smooth sailing.  I've got somewhere between 1500 and 2000 rounds through it.  I haven't been shooting any of my usual 22 ammo (Remmington Golden Bullets) through it since they seem to be dirtier than other brands and they have that waxy stuff on the projectile.  I've mostly been using Federal bulk rounds along with some Winchester 555 bulk rounds.

Even with the "cleaner" ammo, this thing gets filthy; but I guess that's to be expected with a blowback operated 22.  The outside of the chamber adapter seems to get the brunt of the fouling.  Carbon gets on the outside of it and bakes on but it's nothing that some Hoppes solvent and maybe some light scraping won't take off.  It also seems to make the action get kind of gritty after a heavy 22 shooting session; not sure if it's unburned powder, miscellaneous junk from inside the cartridges or environmental crud getting attracted to the lube.  Either way, it's nothing a quick wipe-down won't solve.  You'll be cleaning it after shooting anyway, this only adds a couple seconds more to the process.

Since it's a blow-back operated gig, the gas tube isn't involved with operating the bolt, so I suppose there might be some concern about fouling up the gas tube.  I've heard that it isn't necessary, but after every couple hundred rounds I'll swap the original bolt carrier group back in to the rifle and shoot two or three rounds of copper jacketed .223 to blow out the gas tube and scrub out the barrel.

I like the magazines that come with this kit.  They are full-bodied gray polymer magazines; they look like regular AR magazines rather than those skeleton-looking magazines that come with the Ceiner and some other kits.  I also don't care too much for the see-through magazines that some manufacturers are putting out, but that's just aesthetic; I hear that they work fine (especially so for the BDM mags).  The follower in them is such that it holds open the action after your last shot so they really hold a couple fewer rounds than what they normally would; not a problem.

All in all, I think these are great kits and well worth the money.  The rifle is so fun to use and now me and my family/friends can spend a whole weekend shooting for not much money at all.  If I'd shot the amount of .223 or 5.56 through it that I've shot of .22lr it would have cost what the kit cost several times over.

One nit that I am going to pick, however, is an ugly weld on the back of the unit (this would be on the vertical part at the far right of the stock photo above).  This ugly weld could have been ground down a little better than what it was.  As it is, it sticks out 1/16 or 1/32" or so.  This piece rests agains the buffer (note that the entire unit does not recriprocate, all of the action takes place within the lenght of the unit).  The normal movement that happens when the rifle is firing caused enough movement to make a couple little cosmetic dings in the finish of the buffer face.  I don't think this could ever possibly cause problems, but it did mar my pretty buffer finish.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 12:17:09 PM by masfonos »

GunLink Discussion Forums

CMMG ARC .22lr conversion kit
« on: June 21, 2011, 11:38:47 AM »

Offline ThatGuy762x51

Re: CMMG ARC .22lr conversion kit
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 11:57:02 AM »
I have a CMMG conversion and an old Ciener conversion.  It took some work to get the Ciener to work and their customer service was non existent.  Plus the magazine that comes with it sucks.  No problems with the CMMG though, it is a great investment.  Worth its weight in brass!

A friend of mine has the SS conversion by CMMG and he said there wasn't even any breakin period with it, it just ran great right out of the box.

Offline AmericanIcon

• marketplace
Re: CMMG ARC .22lr conversion kit
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 09:50:08 PM »
Picked one up at the SAR show in Phoenix last year, and have been pleased with it ever since.  As long as you know going in that it's not going to be as accurate as a dedicated .22 rifle, it's fun, cheap practice, and an excellent tool for turning non-shooters into enthusiasts, and overcoming the 'evil black rifle syndrome'.