!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: What do you EDC?  (Read 5656 times)

Offline tassels

What do you EDC?
« on: February 17, 2013, 04:35:13 PM »
What do you EDC with you?  I try to keep it pretty simple with just keys, pocket knife, wallet, cell phone and PF9.  If I know I will be needing something else that day i will take it with me but I don't like being weighed down with a lot of extra junk.

GunLink Discussion Forums

What do you EDC?
« on: February 17, 2013, 04:35:13 PM »

Offline SharpsShooter

Re: What do you EDC?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 05:11:16 PM »
EDC?

Offline tassels

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 06:31:13 PM »
EDC = Every Day Carry

Offline SharpsShooter

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 07:48:54 PM »
Ah, I see.  I hadn't really thought about it before.  From web search results, it sounds like alot of other people put more thought in to it than I do.  I'm lucky to make it out the door with my head attached let alone have to remember extra things to carry.  At any given time I probably have on my person my billfold, wrist watch, Leatherman wave, Zippo, truck key and fob, other misc keys, phone, pen and a notebook.  It's a rough list, not like I have a checklist or anything.

Offline masfonos

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 06:10:18 PM »
It varies depending on where I am and what I'm doing but I have a usual "load out."  At least one pocket knife (usually a Kershaw Scallion I received as a gift - sometimes a Case medium stockman, sometimes a CRKT M16), wallet, paracord strap.  If I don't have a pistol on, there's most likely one in reaching distance.  Same goes for cell phone.

I guess a good way to figure out what your EDC gear is is to figure out what you really miss when you realize you don't have it, even if you don't need it right that second.  I definitely notice it and it bugs me when I forget my cell phone.  I feel completely naked without a pocket knife.  Apparently I play with it or rest my hand on it or something because if I forget it I notice that it's missing a couple dozen times throughout the day.

There are a several good EDC websites and forums out there with a lot of great ideas for stuff that is useful to have with you all the time. It would be great to have all that stuff but I don't really want to haul around a backpack or make the jump to having a man purse  :-*

Offline JustaShooter

• GunLink Member
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 09:04:54 PM »
I'm with you, the pack / man purse just isn't my thing.  I do have a standard list I *always* have with me though:

Cell phone
Wallet
Watch
Keys (with P38 can opener and Swiss+Tech Utili-Key)
Old-school Leatherman multitool
Victorinox Swiss Army Classic SD Pocket Knife (pen-knife size)
Fenix PD32 flashlight
Locking folding knife (was an old Buck, now a Benchmade Mini-Griptillian)
Springfield Armory XDs .45
Spare magazine

Sounds like a lot but it really isn't.  Cell phone in breast pocket (all my shirts have them), wallet in back-right pocket, watch on left wrist, keys in front-right pocket, locking blade clipped to front-right pocket, pen knife in front-left pocket, Leatherman, flashlight & spare mag on left side belt, XDs on right side belt (IWB Crossbreed Supertuck).

Of course, I'm a reasonably big guy at 6'1" & 250lb so maybe I just don't notice it.
NRA Life Member, Husband, & Father

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it

Offline masfonos

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 10:13:37 PM »
I want to start carrying a flashlight but I can't figure out which one or how to carry it so it wouldn't be a nuisance.  I always pack one with me if I'm traveling and have one in my backpack if I have that with me, but I don't have one on my person and I often wish that I did.  I used to have a 1AAA MAGLITE with a regular bulb (what are they called... MicroMag or something?) on my keychain but took it off a while back.  It came in handy a few times but it wasn't ever bright enough to be really useful.

On hot tip from another forum I got a cheap, no-name chinese CREE LED light that's supposed to put out 300 lumens on a 14500 battery or a bit less on 1AA.  If I carried one every day, I wouldn't want it to be much bigger than that.  Maybe I'll start carrying that around to see how it goes.

BTW, I keep a P38 on my keys too.  I didn't even think of it until you mentioned it, but I guess that's part of my EDC stuff too.  I also recently took a bottle opener off of my ring and replaced it with a paracord lanyard/fob that has probably about 5 or 6' total length if unraveled.

Offline JustaShooter

• GunLink Member
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 11:47:14 PM »
The Fenix comes with a belt pouch that works OK for me, but it is a little larger than I'd like and uses two CR123A cells or a single 18650.  I gotta tell you, it eats batteries on the Turbo setting (and why would you have it on any other setting? ;D) I'm planning on finding a light that uses a single AA for EDC so the light is smaller and battery availability and cost is less of a concern.

Another option you might look at is a Photon LED keychain light from http://www.photonlight.com/ (probably can find them a bit cheaper on Amazon of course).  I have a Photon Freedom Micro which has several different lighting modes and I like it a lot - it takes a pair of CR-2016 coin cells.  I can get the CR-2016 cells through my work for less than $0.40 each if I buy them 50 at a time (since my wife and both boys have Photon LED lights as well, it makes sense to buy in bulk - especially since Wally World sells them at like $2 each!).

Maybe a bit small for some applications, but since it is on my keychain I *always* have it.  Battery seems to last a long time (after the first set - you'll play with it enough to wear those out quickly if you are like me).

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic

Offline tassels

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 07:01:11 PM »
Great stuff guys.  There has to be more gear guys here than this. I'm curious to know about what kinds of brands others like for EDC gear. For most "durable" gear I like the buy once cry once motto.  Some gear comes and goes but stuff like wallets, knives, and watches are in it for the long haul. My saddleback wallet and case knive have been in my pockets for years and unless I lose them they will probably be there for many more years.

Offline ThatGuy762x51

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 07:10:28 PM »
Pocket lint, various and sundry small tools, lighter... the usual :)

Offline JustaShooter

• GunLink Member
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 12:10:37 AM »
Great stuff guys.  There has to be more gear guys here than this. I'm curious to know about what kinds of brands others like for EDC gear. For most "durable" gear I like the buy once cry once motto.  Some gear comes and goes but stuff like wallets, knives, and watches are in it for the long haul. My saddleback wallet and case knive have been in my pockets for years and unless I lose them they will probably be there for many more years.

Didn't think about it at the time, but my watch is a tool in its own right - I have a Casio ProTrek, which is water resistant up to 5 BAR (50 meters, I think), and has sensors for temperature, barometric pressure and compass direction.  The barometer also gives altitude if you calibrate it at a known altitude.  Of course, it also does the stopwatch & timer stuff.  It is solar powered and is supposed to have a 10-year battery in it so I should have another 5 years on it before I need to do something.  Definitely comes in handy.

Wallet, I have no idea who makes it.  I've never paid any attention, and in fact I tend to get one as a gift often enough I've never gone looking for them. 

Offline masfonos

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 09:45:07 PM »
Already posted about my knives above, usually a kershaw, sometimes a CRKT. 

I'm in the same boat with wallets; I get the often enough that I don't need to seek them out, but I do have my favorites.  A Fossil bi-fold that the missus gave me saw a lot of use but it started getting pretty beat up, corners wearing through.  I had to repair it a couple times with dabs of shoe goo or fabric clue.  I keep it around in case it needs to go back into service.  Now I'm carrying some leather tri-fold I got as a gift last Christmas.  Lots of pockets to keep all my stuff organized in, clear ID window and all that, but I don't think it's really built to last.  One of my favorites is one that I made in my buddy's leather shop.  I would say that it's as good or better than any saddleback's I've seen but it has two faults.  First, it's a tri-fold and I prefer bi-folds.  Second, the leather is thicker than I'd like.  It would probably last generations but even empty it's almost as thick as my current wallet is with some bills and cards in it.

I don't usually wear watches but I have a couple, nothing fancy.  I wore one with a metal bracelet on it for a long time but I can't even remember who made it.  Lately when I do wear one, it's a Wegner with a leather strap.  I really lust after a Luminox though.

I used to have a nice Parker pen on me a lot of the time but it disappeared.  Never used it enough to bother replacing it.

If you guys like useful gear, it's in a bit of a different vein but I started a thread about bug out bags here that has been mostly ignored.  There didn't seem to be much interest so I didn't bother posting more details.

Offline TheTacDaddy

• An average America looking our for his family!
    • TacDaddy.com
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 08:39:34 AM »
http://youtu.be/cGm075CEJIY

still with the LCP and 27....
TACDADDY LIVE - Thursday nights streamed on the TacDaddy home page - 9pm EST
http://www.TacDaddy.com

Offline James1975

• GunLink Member
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2013, 10:59:13 AM »
multi tool
benchmade
LCR
reload
wallet
blackberry
flashlight
32gb thumb drive
carabiner and keys
chapstick
work keycard
challenge coin
travel mug

Offline jonbouy00

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 09:28:37 AM »
Good topic to make you think. Because I am in the utterly communist state of DC (District of Chicago) I often have a fanny pack/man purse w/gun & mag in it. If I am out of state I have a CCW for, then I do that, Glock 19 9mm. I always have a flashlight that has 4settings, white, red, blue and IR. It is also variable brightness. Usually 2 knives, one for self-defense & not used for anything else and one for general use.
Then the usual, cell phone, wallet extra mag etc. I have not used a watch because the cell fills that bill, but I think I will include a watch. Have been thinking about that for sometime. I have started a small list of things to have in the car.

Good topic and good comments.
Jon
The phrase,"common sense" no longer means, common sense.

Offline masfonos

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2013, 09:27:13 AM »
I'd like to add a watch back into my EDC too for a couple reasons.  Like you said, the cell usually fits the bill for knowing what time it is but a) it lights everything up when you look at it, b) it doesn't last very long and c) they make you shut it off when you travel by air.  If you need to navigate for whatever reason, an analog watch can also double as a makeshift compass when the sun is up.