!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: Tell us about your Project Appleseed experience!  (Read 6369 times)

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
Tell us about your Project Appleseed experience!
« on: October 20, 2012, 05:57:54 PM »
Have you participated in a Project Appleseed event?

Tell us what you thought about it in this thread!  What did you take away from the event?  Did it improve your basic rifle marksmanship?  Did you enjoy the stories about April 19, 1775?  Did you qualify as a Rifleman?  Is a CMP Garand headed your way?

Are you involved with Project Appleseed to a greater degree than just attending an event?  Are you an instructor, Apple Core or other "hat?"  Tell us about your favorite part of being involved with the project and what you take away from it and share the process of getting to where you are!

GunLink Discussion Forums

Tell us about your Project Appleseed experience!
« on: October 20, 2012, 05:57:54 PM »

Offline 264Win

Re: Tell us about your Project Appleseed experience!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 01:34:50 AM »
Hello I had the pleasure of attending I think the second AS in alaska. I missed the first as it was full when I became aware it was to be held. I am handicaped and slow moving and did not compleat a lot of the targets but was very interested in hearing the talks on the start of the Revolutionary War. These were personal accounts of the people who were our first freedom fighters people who really only wanted to be heard by the King and powers that be. But were forced by circumstance to fight for thier rights as free men. I had 4 years of high school rifle team and 2 years in the adult league 46years ago and learned or relearned alot now
I am a lot older and slower but the basics are the same as always. Great program every citizen of the U.S.A. should go at least one weekend.

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 08:55:50 AM »
Wow, the 2nd Appleseed ever in Alaska?  That would be a pretty cool thing to be a part of.

With the weather up there, are all the rifleman patches the blue icy ones, or do they ever get a chance to hand out "normal" patches?

Offline 264Win

Re: we don't have cold weather all the time
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 09:46:53 PM »
WE have a warm summer highs in the high 80s or low 90s for 3months or so then it starts to get cold again. First snow is about Oct 10th it stays on the ground till May or June we get temps down to -40f here 78 miles North of Anchorage. So we have a good time shoooting from June to Sept.

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• Team GunLink
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 11:10:38 PM »
I've attended two appleseeds since I found out about it. I can't quite get rifleman, but I'm very, very close. If anyone has advice for the sitting position, I'm open to all suggestions. I tried everything they suggested, but I'm the weakest at my sitting position. All of the instructors are wonderful and extremely helpful.

The stories are amazing. You don't learn this stuff in public school. I would like to do another this year, but I'll have to see if I can find any ammo and if I can afford it this year.

Offline walkergm2001

• marketplace
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 11:47:59 PM »
I had the pleasure of being invited by a friend to attend a shoot @KCR. It was a great experience I only wish there were more events in Ohio. If anyone has information on upcoming Oh. events I would appreciate the info….. Thanks in advance!

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• Team GunLink
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 10:18:15 PM »
I don't know where in Ohio you are, but I know for sure in the southwest area (near Athens) they have a few every summer. You'll just need to check out the website.

Offline Flame Of Liberty

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 04:11:43 PM »
I've attended two appleseeds since I found out about it. I can't quite get rifleman, but I'm very, very close. If anyone has advice for the sitting position, I'm open to all suggestions. I tried everything they suggested, but I'm the weakest at my sitting position.

It took me two years to get my sitting position  to where I was comfortable. Make sure your sling is loose enough that you have more mobility to hunker down comfortably, but not so much that you lose support. Another thing is practice practice practice. You use muscles for the seated position that most people don't even know are there. The more you practice, the more it turns into muscle memory. Whenever I did dry fire practice, I always did it in the seated position. It took a while to get it right, but in the long run, it DEFINITELY helped. 
Look to the past to see to the future.

Offline LivingDeadGirl

• Team GunLink
  • GunLink Member
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 10:06:52 PM »
I'm going to guess that sling is my problem then, along with being short. I'm a shaky person, so I tend to tighten the sling to help hold me still. I improved my standing score by a lot, but I got stuck in the sling because I had it so tight. I had some nice bruises to go with my brass burns. I'll try some dry runs soon to see if I can improve my target engagement by loosening the sling. Thank you for the advice.