!!

Hello, Guest!

You are viewing the GunLink forums as a guest.  CLICK HERE to register for the forums and unlock more features, hidden forums and the ability post in topics, vote in polls, see poll results and more.

Tandemkross

Author Topic: POLL: 9mm vs .45  (Read 13868 times)

Offline 1slickAR15

POLL: 9mm vs .45
« on: October 26, 2011, 03:10:37 PM »
OK this has been beaten to death in just about every gun store, hunting lodge and shooting range ever but Im going to ask anyway.

Please vote in the poll and then answer in the thread too.

Which do you think is a better round:  9mm or .45?

Interepret the question however you want just make sure to clarify in your post (best round overall, best round for CCW, best round for HD, etc).
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 07:12:03 PM by 1slickAR15 »

GunLink Discussion Forums

POLL: 9mm vs .45
« on: October 26, 2011, 03:10:37 PM »

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
Re: POLL: 9mm vs .45
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 07:17:27 PM »
Voted in the poll.

For the open-book portion of the quiz, don't forget about Terminal Ballistics Test Data (FBI Gelatin Tests) and FBI data on Handgun Wounding Factors and Effectiveness

8)

Offline masfonos

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 08:00:42 PM »
"I Voted Today!"

I prefer a few extra rounds over a little (insert pro-45 argument here).  It's 2011 now and there are lots of good options for firearms and ammo.  There are plenty of great 9mm loads that perform awesomely; as well or better than many defensive .45ACP loads.  With 9mm, you can carry the same number of rounds and shave off the extra carry weight or keep the weight the same and get more rounds.

Offline donvabeach

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 06:37:01 PM »
While I own a .45, besides some other calibers, I prefer my 9mm Glocks and my Browning HP in 9mm.  I can double/triple tap faster, and with the right HP ammo, I'm sure that if, God forbid, I had to shoot someone in defense of my family, not only would I hit them, but I would also inflict great bodily harm on them....ballistics tables be damned.

The important thing is to carry what you can shoot the best......and not get too hung up on caliber.

Having said all that......in case of a breakin to my home, or a Zombie attack, my Ruger .223 carbine would be my goto weapon. 20 rounds of hellfire as fast as I can pull the trigger.

Offline small

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 08:52:53 PM »
Glad to have another BHP guy around, welcome Don. I can echo what has been said about weight, the right bullet, bullet placement, yet the most resounding thing is I can shoot my BHP better then  I could a 1911 style .45. So maybe it wasn't as much caliber but pistol. Maybe if he BHP came in a 45 I'd give it a go again but I have left the 1911 party and I'm on the road to recovery with my BHP in 9mm.

Offline Uncle Buck

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 10:53:54 PM »
I voted neither.

If I had to carry a .45, it would be the Long Colt.  I love that round and I know what happens when it hits.

Primarily carry a .357 Magnum.  I prefer revolvers.  I have heard all the arguments about number of rounds, etc.  I hit the target better with a revolver than I do with a semi.  Don't discount the revolver because some newer, magical polymer has been developed.

Offline ThatGuy762x51

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 07:02:03 PM »
I voted .45ACP that's a heck of a round and does a lot of damage.  In practice 9mm is a lot more likely to be something you'd find in my holster.

Since we are getting to pick and choose our flavors of .45...I was checking out some .454 cassul and .45-70 govt revolvers in the gun store this past weekend.  That would make a heck of a carry piece, no?  lol  You'd have to be pretty creative to conceal one of those beasts, but boy would it get the job done!

Offline masfonos

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 12:47:28 AM »
Primarily carry a .357 Magnum.  I prefer revolvers.  I have heard all the arguments about number of rounds, etc.  I hit the target better with a revolver than I do with a semi.  Don't discount the revolver because some newer, magical polymer has been developed.

Hear, hear! 8)

Offline Hill_William

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2011, 09:18:31 PM »
9mm all the way!  Along with 57% of voters!

Offline Ryan_Random

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 11:33:04 AM »
I'm another one of the 9mm votes. I'm one of those 'shot placement over round selection' guys. I can also get 9mm cheaper so I can shoot more. Having said that, I really don't have anything bad to say about either one.

Offline masfonos

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 05:17:28 PM »
Well put, RR, but I'm not sure during a situation where you'd need to use a gun for defense one would be able to make fine enough adjustments for shot placement to matter.  I imagine if someone is shooting at you or doing something that necessitates shooting at them, you aim C.O.M and hope for the best.  In either case, I'd much rather have 17 "hope for the bests" than 8 "hope for the bests", especially since the difference in performance is relatively small.

Plus, like you said, you can do a lot more practicing with a carry gun in 9mm for a lot less $$ than a .45

Still plenty of people who swear by a 1911 though.

ETA:  It looks like OP bailed after starting this thread, eh?  What's his answer?

Offline 1slickAR15

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 12:01:12 AM »
nah, i'm still around ;D  just spectating the poll results

i voted 'both'

i like 9mm because its plenty effective, most 9mm autos hold plenty of rounds, there are plenty of modern guns that shoot that round and it's cheaper to shoot

i like .45 because its a big ol' fat round that packs a wallop and the classic .45 auto is a just plain sexy gun.

Offline Rusty39

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 01:04:09 AM »
I'm another one of the 9mm votes. I'm one of those 'shot placement over round selection' guys. I can also get 9mm cheaper so I can shoot more. Having said that, I really don't have anything bad to say about either one.

+1
I was always a "45"guy, and still own one. But as I get older, and arthritis
has settled into my hands and wrists, I find a 9mm much more pleasant to
shoot. More pleasant shooting=more practicing=more proficiency.

Offline masfonos

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 02:53:11 PM »
9mm has almost twice the votes of 45 :o

Offline AmericanIcon

• marketplace
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 01:34:32 AM »
.45 - because shooting someone twice is foolish

9mm - for people who squat to pee

And if you're going with a real round, use the pistol it was designed for - designed by St. John Moses of Browning and still the most imitated. 

Relying on (a mere handful of) votes proves nothing - look what 'votes' put in the White House.

Offline jonbouy00

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 11:31:54 AM »
I voted 9mm. No smart answers, just like the 9. It's plenty effective.
Any doctors in the area who have experience with shootings? What's the difference in a 9mm hole and a 45?
Jon
The phrase,"common sense" no longer means, common sense.

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2012, 11:58:03 AM »
I voted 9mm. No smart answers, just like the 9. It's plenty effective.
Any doctors in the area who have experience with shootings? What's the difference in a 9mm hole and a 45?

We're not doctors here, but there are a couple helpful links on page 1 of this thread (second post):
Terminal Ballistics Test Data (FBI Gelatin Tests)
FBI data on Handgun Wounding Factors and Effectiveness

In the second link, the FBI says: 
"It is essential to bear in mind that the single most critical factor remains penetration. While penetration up to 18 inches is preferable, a handgun bullet MUST reliably penetrate 12 inches of soft body tissue at a minimum, regardless of whether it expands or not. If the bullet does not reliably penetrate to these depths, it is not an effective bullet for law enforcement use.

Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified."

The first link contains a link to the PDF chart of FBI ballistics tests with information on penetration and wound volume.

Of the tested ammunition, it looks like the deepest penetration in bare gelatin from .45ACP was 17.9" and the deepest from 9mm was 22.1".  Max wound volume from .45ACP was 6.96 cubic inches and for 9mm was 4.87 ci.  On clothed gelatin, the best .45ACP ammo penetrated to 24.6" and 9mm to 22.6".  Largest wound volume in clothed gelatin for 45ACP was 7.89ci and 9mm was 4.78ci.

Offline GunLink

• GLHMFIC
  • Global Moderator
    • GunLink
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2012, 12:34:43 PM »
If you want to do some testing of your own to get empirical evidence of how your ammo performs, ClearBallistics.com offers 20% off of their products with promo code GUNLINK.  Their clear ballistics gel is reusable so you can try various loads in various calibers to see what type of damage it does.

Offline Freeman Arms

• Freeman Arms, LLC
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2012, 05:56:48 PM »
I voted for 9mm, for concealed carry primarily. At home, I have a .40 caliber Sig on the night stand.

Like all tools, .45 has it's place. I really like the looks of the new Springfield XDs .45, but you are limited on rounds.

There have been so many heated online arguments about which is better... (yawn).

Fact is I'd hate to be shot with either one!
"The Constitution shall never be construed … to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."  –Samuel Adams

Offline Freeman Arms

• Freeman Arms, LLC
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2012, 06:17:13 PM »
Here's an interesting video: http://le.atk.com/resources/videos.aspx

If you don't want to watch all of them, be sure to watch the third  one titled "Pistol".

Sold me on 9mm!
"The Constitution shall never be construed … to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."  –Samuel Adams